Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. >

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
Wow, THis is pretty cool. Im going to need to get one of these packs and mess around with it. I would like to find a way to make the cars work really well without adding the weight. I will be ordering one up next week.
I don't think it will be very hard to get them to work. Im down to adding only 40g to the lipo and it is just as fast as it was with the big 4600's.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It might be nice if proper manufacturer reps would post suggestions on this thread related to optimizing their current equipment to this battery configuration. An honest "this won't work", or "this and this will work" would be nice. Who knows their hardware better then themselves? Maybe it would help motivate them to have a real feasible answer for us.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Very good info. I would like to dig deaper into this and make some changes if needed to see if i can even improve over what we have now with our 4 cell packs. Lipo has seemed to really take off in TC and offroad. If it can happen in 1/12th, i would like to find out.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by acyrier
Like I said, Tekin told me to do it the way I described, so that's what I'll be doing. I would suggest, if a manufacturer says to do it a particular way...probalby good idea to do it that way. I was doing it the way you described until I had that conversation with Jim (tekin prez). And it did act "normal" but though that conversation, I changed the way I was doing it.
I spoke to Tekin at length about this too. If you read my post entirely, I'm simply saying I removed the red wire and put it aside instead of "cutting" it. I'm speaking of the red wire in the "J" connector that goes from the speed control to the receiver. What wire did you cut?

Read this,

http://www.teamtekin.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1642

The thread is in reference to RS use in 1/8 off road, but if you read the 5th paragraph it describes the use of a separate BEC(receiver pack) and what to do with the receiver plug on the RS. Which is the same method in any vehicle where a separate BEC(receiver pack) is used with a Tekin RS. BTW I know who Jim is. I have spoke to him as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I might be wrong but I think Donny Lia tried everything with the Tekin speed control and it still had the dumpy feeling.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

I spoke to Tekin about RX packs and the RS and this was what I got from the conversation.

If you don't remove the red wire from the "J" connector on the RS when running a receiver pack what happens is the RS will try to run the whole car, including the motor, off of the receiver pack. On top of this, since the voltage of the receiver pack is higher than either a 4 cell or a 1 cell LiPo, the current will also flow from the receiver pack and try to charge the main battery. These things will drain the receiver pack very quickly. Causing the dumping feeling. I actually had it happen with 4 cell 1/12. I ran the RX pack to get maximum voltage to my receiver, servo, and transponder. When I removed the red wire from the "J" connector the problem went away. Just gotta remember to turn on both switches, the one on the RX pack and the one on the RS.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Company Representative

I hope this works as it would be simple to remove the red wire from the reciever plug.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

so what you guys are talking about only applies to the tekin correct? if i remember right a gentlemen said he had the gtb and he left in the red wire and just left the swtich off.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Worked for me in 4 cell. Just remember to tape the end off the wire will go live when the switch is on. Questions for ya Danny, how did lowering the capacity on this new LiPo slow down the mod cars? Is this pack a single 4000MaH LiPo or two 2000MaH cells in parallel?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by buffalobill989
so what you guys are talking about only applies to the tekin correct? if i remember right a gentlemen said he had the gtb and he left in the red wire and just left the swtich off.
Correct, we are talking about the Tekin RS ESC.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Try this, it's a trick used sometimes in modified, for those times when the Rx browns out from voltage dips.

Place a single 1.2v 800mah or similar small cell in series with the red wire from the speed control to the Rx. Charge it as a single cell and when the speedo is turned on it will complete the circuit and put out ~3.7 volts from the internal bec +1.2 from the single cell in series, giving you about 4.9v and only 1 switch. Since there is only the single source connector to the Rx and not another in parrell the ESC will not even know the other cell is there and will not use it to run the motor or charge the battery
Old 11-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
Worked for me in 4 cell. Just remember to tape the end off the wire will go live when the switch is on. Questions for ya Danny, how did lowering the capacity on this new LiPo slow down the mod cars? Is this pack a single 4000MaH LiPo or two 2000MaH cells in parallel?

It's 2 cells in paralell. We hope by having less capacity that the mod guys won't be able to use 2.5 , 3.5 motors and make runtime. So if they have to use 4.5 and up it will slow them down.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by acyrier
(I use the losi micro lipo)
I've seen others refer to using the LOSI micro lipo battery as a receiver pack... I don't want to hijack this thread, but is there a thread with instructions on doing this? Isn't the voltage on this pack high for a receiver pack without an external voltage regulator?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tfrahm
I've seen others refer to using the LOSI micro lipo battery as a receiver pack... I don't want to hijack this thread, but is there a thread with instructions on doing this? Isn't the voltage on this pack high for a receiver pack without an external voltage regulator?
Nitro guys have been using 2S lipos for a couple years now. So no, it doesn't cause any issues with receivers and servos.

Paul
Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
It's 2 cells in paralell. We hope by having less capacity that the mod guys won't be able to use 2.5 , 3.5 motors and make runtime. So if they have to use 4.5 and up it will slow them down.
Oh I get it. Putting the mod guys on a short leash, so to speak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.