Wiki Posts
Search

LRP Vector x12 Brushless Motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Billy, check this press release from LRP:

"In the past months X12-based motors set new benchmarks when it came to outstanding performance and ultimate reliability at top-level races around the world."
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
Billy, check this press release from LRP:

"In the past months X12-based motors set new benchmarks when it came to outstanding performance and ultimate reliability at top-level races around the world."
Performance, yes. Reliability ... hmmmm
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Has anyone tried replacing the bearings with Boca bearings? I still havent run my newly bought 4.0t, coz i ve been reading about lots of people have failed bearings. I m thinking of replacing the bearings to Boca before i even run the motor. Is Boca very durable?

Having said that how do you you remove the bearings from the casing?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Default LRP X12 4.0 and Sphere TC Spec

Hi Burito...
Hope that i get some help over here.
2 of my Sphere TC Spec stopped working recently in a day while running at a local track in Singapore. This is the history of the equipment which I bought the X12 4.0 and both the TC Spec in March 2009. I ran the X12 4.0 and the Sphere on 5 cells in TITC 2009 and it worked fine and I liked it a lot. I stopped using the motor and esc until recent 1 month which was running the X12 4.0 on LiPo with the Sphere (2,2,0,1) almost 10-15 packs a week for a month, and it worked fine and i still liked it then. The ESC was running pretty ok with the internal temperature at around 10-12 blinks. Only after the end of 4th week, the Sphere just stopped working when my run was in the 2nd minute. The ESC heat sink was very very hot. All power seized, and no power to the servo. I had no idea what happened to the ESC as it was running fine for the past month and it decided to give up. I put in my second ESC which is fairly new, it also stopped with the same failure just before 2 min into the run! I am really not sure what went wrong. I do not think that was any mechanical failure on my car as i have just rebuilt the car when both ESC failures happened. The motor is spinning alright and the bearings are fine. I am just afraid to power up the 4.0 motor in another ESC. That was a costly day.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Tech Addict

@dameetz: Boca bearings offers good bearings, just don't go for the cheapest ones they offer.

@3...: 4.0/LiPo is very very fast (as I said before, I think it's too much!), are you sure the problem is the ESC and not the motor? Did you try the ESC with another motor already?
If you tried and the problem is the ESC, it would help if can indicate what the LED's do while you try to run.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Reto,

We had a sizable meet last weekend and my team mates were all using X12 6.5t, I were using LRP SXX TC + X12 6.5t and I have to say that I have amazing power under my finger tips.

I were running FDR of 7.2 at first then I changed it to 6.99 while motor temp was around 80+ deg celcius. I wasn't taking chances with the motor so I kept lubricating the bearings after heats but it was a shame it rain before the finals. I qualified 3rd and I'm quite confident of chasing the chequered flag if the finals were to pursue.

I bought another 6.5t and I'm tempted to take a 4.5t but I'm afraid it will swell up my Lipos.

Would you recommend a X12 4.5t + SXX TC + Lipos (5000 x 40c)?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Tech Addict

@jonest: thanks for the positive feedback about your experience, but this is what most customers report anyway. Sure we had some bearings go but that's not a general problem to all motors.

As for your question, an X12 4.5t is very good with LiPo's and SXX. On smaller tracks the 5.0t may be the better choice but you should be good with 4.5t too!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burito
@jonest: thanks for the positive feedback about your experience, but this is what most customers report anyway. Sure we had some bearings go but that's not a general problem to all motors.

As for your question, an X12 4.5t is very good with LiPo's and SXX. On smaller tracks the 5.0t may be the better choice but you should be good with 4.5t too!
Thanks Reto, will certainly give the 4.5t a try. But what motor would you recommend @ RCS Bangkok (as they allow 6cell/lipos on the open class)? I'll be joining TITC 2010 which will be held from 19-21 February 2010. It's great to prepare and practice early.

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by burito
@dameetz: Boca bearings offers good bearings, just don't go for the cheapest ones they offer.
Any suggestion on how to take off the bearings? BTW i just saw the X12 cooling option parts on RedRc, how much temp reduction do you reckon if I fitted the kit?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

Dear Sir,

Does the timing plastic insert sell as options? Mine only came with the "oo" as standard in the end bell. Can't find any others extra pieces like "oooo" or "o" & etc in the box...
Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MIKA
Dear Sir,

Does the timing plastic insert sell as options? Mine only came with the "oo" as standard in the end bell. Can't find any others extra pieces like "oooo" or "o" & etc in the box...
Mine came with oooo in place and in the box there are 2 more inserts.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

I m posting this on behalf of a friend of mine. He is using LRP Sphere TC Spec with X12 4.0T motor and has been using this combo for about 4 months with only 1 indoor race meet.

The problem:

Recently his motor is intermittent when you apply throttle. First 3 laps it's is fine but after the motor warmed up, it started to jerk especially coming out of corners on power or from a stand still.

What we have done so far:

1) Initially we thought the sensor wire is bad so we replaced the wire...still the problem exist.

2) Replace the sensor unit inside the motor with my other friend's x12...still it exist.

3) Put the motor in my car ( I m using SXX ).....still it exist

4) Different batteries (I m using IP Lipo, he is using LRP Lipo)....still exist

5) Try the motor with another brand ESC that can run sensorless....its running fine.

What could be the problem? BTW his motor's bearings has been replaced once due to bearing failure....and has some scratches on the rotor due to that. Will replacing the rotor solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The sensor wire would have been my first guess but since you eliminated that part I would change rotor. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MIKA
Dear Sir,

Hey Mika,

Yep, the fact you have only one insert (the one already installed on) is normal for some wound. LRP recommends to use this one and this position only.
Then yes, next, you may conclude that it's theoricaly impossible (or say highly not recommended) to set a different timing.
Maybe they are afraid of something... ...like overheat, for example...!

It happened to me with a 4.5t with timing setted as indicated on manual, appropriate ratio, etc. Then I had 15 runs. They were 15 great runs but the motor wound finally got melt during the 16th run... Short lifepan, ha?

Overheat is known issue. I just hope LRP will correct this asap.
This said, some friends of mine still run one of these X12 and they are still ok... China mass production ?!

Cheers
Slideaway
Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Tech Regular

Dear Slideaway,

Mine is a 4.5T with only "oo", guess its the older batch. May be only the newer batch come with pre-install "oooo" and spare inserts.

I too worry about the overheating & bearing issue, I have replaced the motor with option ceramic bearings before I run on it. However the motor never have a chance to show its potential as I dont have an track to play on now & most racers in mine area only diehard on stock racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.