Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2900Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
No mention of the XRAY X1?

That really should be on your list.

What can you get parts support for and what do others run where you are.

You'd hate to get something and have no support with parts and tuning.

I race my Tamiya 104 X1 and now TRF 102 on asphalt and they both work great.

I bought an XRAY X1 just for carpet and like it so far and others have been racing their XRAYs on asphalt with sucess here too.

We have a couple guys running here with the 104 V2 but most seem to feel that the T plate Tamiya cars run better on asphalt.

I have no experience with any of the other cars nor have I seen them run here, doesn't mean they aren't good though.
thanks for the reply.

the place where i can get these chassis just ran out of the X1. is it that far better than say the TRF102?!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by voodoo
thanks for the reply.

the place where i can get these chassis just ran out of the X1. is it that far better than say the TRF102?!
I refuse to reply on the grounds that I may incriminate myself

My TRF 102 is very good on asphalt, on carpet, unknown to me.

My XRAY X1 is very good on carpet, on asphalt, unknown to me but as mentioned earlier I've seen it gettin around the pavement pretty well recently.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Originally Posted by scirocco14
Craig,

Are they going to "open" 25.5 motors or are they specifying a motor?

For the USVTA F1 championship, the rules are already set for the 2015/2016 points year (started Aug. 1st) and they are 21.5 ROAR or a NOVAK 25.5 motor. If the track wants to go to 25.5 motors, they have to use the NOVAK motor ONLY in order to be eligible for USVTA F1 points.

So I'm sticking to 21.5 for at least another year. The tracks where I race F1 are going with the 21.5 motors w/25.5 allowed per USVTA F1 rules.

Mark
Only ones I'm aware of from the big manufacturers is Trinity, Tekin, Reedy, and Novak.

F1 is very popular at our track and the most competitive class. We have had at least 5 different winners this summer. I don't see any reason to change the rules.
Here's a list of 25.5 motors available through A-Main or Stormer Hobbies.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Here's a list of 25.5 motors available through A-Main or Stormer Hobbies.

But are any of them ROAR legal? And when/if ROAR creates a 25.5 regulation will you have to buy all over again a new ROAR legal 25.5 soon after? Are we putting the cart before the horse here?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I refuse to reply on the grounds that I may incriminate myself
haha that sounds very familiar if you live where i am.

thanks!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

schurr speed also has a 25.5
Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by MikeR
But are any of them ROAR legal? And when/if ROAR creates a 25.5 regulation will you have to buy all over again a new ROAR legal 25.5 soon after? Are we putting the cart before the horse here?
That! is the key
Old 10-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Tech Champion

ROAR doesn't give a rat's ass about F1 J/K, I hope they do
but if the racing is already demanding 25.5, who's gonna say when we need their blessing?

Last edited by F N CUDA; 10-02-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

but if the racing is already demanding 25.5, who's gonna say when we need their blessing?
I'm just worried the switch to non-ROAR approved 25.5 motors will lead to 'motor wars'. I'm already hearing the rumbles of the 'hot' 25.5 motors to get. Even with ROAR approval it may still be an issue.

With the 21.5 motors, that's not really an issue for us locally. A 21.5 motor seems to be a surplus of power on the carpet tracks where we race and most of us run less than 100% throttle EPA just to keep them under control. Maybe we're all just dorks and don't know what we're doing? Who knows. But cheap motors have been just as fast as expensive ones in our area. I'm running an old 21.5 SS Novak and doing pretty well with it. There was one guy waxing us with a Hobbyking 21.5 motor and Justock ESC combo.

But I have run 25.5 motors in my F1 cars and they are indeed easier to drive and can use all the available power. So if that's the case, then we'll all be searching for that "hot" 25.5 motor to gain a little extra advantage.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mark
Old 10-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's not so much about ROAR's blessing, more about having equal 25.5 motors. At least if ROAR had 25.5 approvals then you know a motor is a legit spec 25.5... not an outlaw 25.5 with wire twice as thick as the car sitting next to you (yes, you can buy a motor like that). Why spec a motor for F1 if there is no spec in the motor. That's why I believe the cart is in front of the horse on switching to 25.5 motors- too soon right now.

... we should be waiting a little bit longer for the motor approvals first so we all don't have to go out and buy a 2nd motor that is officially legal.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I fail to see the need to reduce power, the cars are far from overpowered with a 21.5. Look at what happened to The WGT class when it was running boosted 10.5 motors attendance was its peak, how many do you see club racing now? As the WGT class slowed by dropping to 13.5 motors and then then abandoning timing ramps the cars became very boring to drive and the "hot" battery / motor combo became more important than the driver.

Even if a power reduction to Tyco speeds was desirable, with no regulations on how the motors are made parity between them wont exist.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Really gonna suck if it does become a motor war, ROAR or no ROAR.

17.5 on and offroad is that kind of suck.

Better have fresh batteries, know how to really charge em and motor has got to be up to the job or you can ride around mid pack even if you can tune a chassis and drive it.
Always been like that though so nothing new here.

However, F1 with a 21.5 as mentioned in the above post, pretty much has more than enough rip to where average stuff gets it done.

Rumor has it that even offroad is gonna try this 1 step down motor thing, dropping 17.5 down to 21.5 (save your F1 motors ) because they're going too fast for "stock" class racing and is keeping the class to expert based racers.

Also, GT10 dropping the 17.5 to 21.5 to allow a wider range of driver skill to want to compete.

If this all works out and the classes grow then somebody got it right.

Let's all hope for the best.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Rumor has it that even offroad is gonna try this 1 step down motor thing, dropping 17.5 down to 21.5 (save your F1 motors ) because they're going too fast for "stock" class racing and is keeping the class to expert based racers.

Also, GT10 dropping the 17.5 to 21.5 to allow a wider range of driver skill to want to compete.

If this all works out and the classes grow then somebody got it right.

Let's all hope for the best.
locally the 17.5 buggies have trouble clearing jumps, and just like wgt, stock 12th its all about having the best battery & motor and they better be fresh and dont forget your icharger. With anything less might as well stay home. Its a sad day when mod is the ONLY class not won by a wallet. I quit running other pan cars when they became wallet races instead of car races.

The trick to any good sportsman or spec class is getting the grip / power balance just right so the cars feel like you cant quite use all the power all the time but are not so overpowered they turn people away. The current 2s 21.5 rubber tire package has the balance just right. We had silvercan and found it bit anemic why would we want to change to something slower than what was already deemed lacking.

Take a look at one of the local VTA drivers esc log and you wont be able to spot 1/2 the turns by by the throttle input graph and will likely see only on and off input.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

It's not so much about ROAR's blessing, more about having equal 25.5 motors. At least if ROAR had 25.5 approvals then you know a motor is a legit spec 25.5... not an outlaw 25.5 with wire twice as thick as the car sitting next to you (yes, you can buy a motor like that). Why spec a motor for F1 if there is no spec in the motor. That's why I believe the cart is in front of the horse on switching to 25.5 motors- too soon right now.

... we should be waiting a little bit longer for the motor approvals first so we all don't have to go out and buy a 2nd motor that is officially legal.
This!

We dont want a d3.5 or Corrally red 'issue'

F1 is not a novice class, don't care who wants it to be

If you want it novice allow gyro's, simple
Old 10-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

The more you change the rules, the more you rule out people from racing and add cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.