Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justinco
I'm in the process of painting my Ferrari 2012 body for my F104v2. Manual says to paint the inside of the body, like I would expect, then peel off exterior film and paint the cockpit. However, the cockpit paints that are referenced are spray paints. I am planning on just spraying some paint into a small can or something then brushing it on. Is there a better approach?
Of course you can buy paint in a bottle. For me it made no sense, because you need just a little amount. Your way will work good. I painted my driver from the inside too, as there is no difference in the process.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by justinco
I'm in the process of painting my Ferrari 2012 body for my F104v2. Manual says to paint the inside of the body, like I would expect, then peel off exterior film and paint the cockpit. However, the cockpit paints that are referenced are spray paints. I am planning on just spraying some paint into a small can or something then brushing it on. Is there a better approach?
Tamiya only make their lexan paints in sprays, so they are only going to reference them. Use bottle acrylic paints to paint the river figure.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:42 AM
Tech Champion

They used to make them in bottles too
Old 07-09-2013, 04:14 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys,

I own a F103 myself and am wondering if the bodies fitting F104w also fit my F103?
Especially the Zen Racing "Z0007 Legend F1 Body J191 Type for F104W" - would like to buy that body.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Germany,
Stefan
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerz616
We had 2 guys damage theirs. I think one was a bending issue, and he is a top notch driver and doesn't hit anything. The other one shattered one, but he hits a few things here and there. So it sounds like they are pretty weak.
They are the most brittlest tyres... we had two guys smash a set at 2 weeks ago at the finals in Australia. They just cant cope with the anything, alittle prang and the wheel fell from the hub snapping it clean at the spokes.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks for the help on the paints. First time painting an F1 body so just got what the instructions said to get (spray cans). I'll post some pics after I get the painting done.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

has anyone painted the wings?
i bought a used one and he painted the wing but must of used lexan paint and it is chipped?
i am going to remove the paint and bought Tamiya ts-31 for plastics
Question is do i need to use primer or like a Krylon fusion before i add color or just scuff it?
if so scuff with a wetsand or green 3m scuff pad?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would think using a Krylon Fusion plastic paint would work really well, I have used that stuff on non-RC plastic parts and it works well. Re-painted an entire laptop with that stuff and the paint held of great to daily wear and heat.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Hi Guys,

A couple more questions if you dont mind!

Roughly how long am i looking at (drive time) with a Reedy 4000mAh 60c Lipo battery? (I will be using a Reedy Sonic V2 21.5T motor).
Lastly, using the above motor, what sort of straight line top speeds are these cars reaching? I have only driven TT02 kits, and the Schumacher Fusion.

Poor questions I know, but I have about £600 of kit to order, want to make sure I'm getting what I need!

Cheers again!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simmo0916
Hi Guys,

Roughly how long am i looking at (drive time) with a Reedy 4000mAh 60c Lipo battery? (I will be using a Reedy Sonic V2 21.5T motor).
Lastly, using the above motor, what sort of straight line top speeds are these cars reaching? I have only driven TT02 kits, and the Schumacher Fusion.

Poor questions I know, but I have about £600 of kit to order, want to make sure I'm getting what I need!

Cheers again!
I run 4k mah packs, 21.5t motor and it seems to last quite some time. You can run a 12 min main and still have plenty of power left over. 4600 will be more than plenty.

Never clocked it but I with my current ratio at around 2.6 it looks to be mid 30s mph on the straight.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jrz93
i bought a used one and he painted the wing but must of used lexan paint and it is chipped?
i am going to remove the paint and bought Tamiya ts-31 for plastics
Question is do i need to use primer or like a Krylon fusion before i add color or just scuff it?
if so scuff with a wetsand or green 3m scuff pad?
Just a suggestion...start off by making sure the primer will adhere to Polyethylene. This is what the wings are made out of. Not to many r/c paints will actually stick to this material. It's not the same plastic that you'd find in a model kit.

If memory serves correctly the best primer you could use Krylon, but I think Rust-Oleum makes one as well. Just read the package, it should list Polyethylene as a valid material.

By the way you'll need to sand/scuff the wing first before you apply primer and paint. Keep in mind it will still chip or shatter if you hit anything.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by simmo0916
Hi Guys,

Cheers again!
With my X12 17.5t on a large outdoor track I have a runtime of more than 25 minutes with my F104 and an "old" 4000mAh Reedy shorty. You should have at least 30 minutes with an aggressive gearing...
Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hasi
Hi guys,

I own a F103 myself and am wondering if the bodies fitting F104w also fit my F103?
Especially the Zen Racing "Z0007 Legend F1 Body J191 Type for F104W" - would like to buy that body.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Germany,
Stefan
They used to make that body for the F103, I would think they have just extended it the 10mm longer for the F104 chassis so should still fit over an F103. It would certainly fit if you use a shorty lipo.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jrz93
If you are planning on running/racing most peoples preferred option is covering the wings in vinyl sheet. It is guaranteed to flex with the wing and can be replaced when damaged.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vyger
Just a suggestion...start off by making sure the primer will adhere to Polyethylene. This is what the wings are made out of. Not to many r/c paints will actually stick to this material. It's not the same plastic that you'd find in a model kit.

If memory serves correctly the best primer you could use Krylon, but I think Rust-Oleum makes one as well. Just read the package, it should list Polyethylene as a valid material.

By the way you'll need to sand/scuff the wing first before you apply primer and paint. Keep in mind it will still chip or shatter if you hit anything.
Originally Posted by terry.sc
If you are planning on running/racing most peoples preferred option is covering the wings in vinyl sheet. It is guaranteed to flex with the wing and can be replaced when damaged.
thanks guys
yeah i bought it used and the previous owner painted it orange and i was just trying to repair the chips and the paint on body matched way to well
i bought the tamiya for plastics paint (like for mini-z) and scuffed it, just debating if i should use the krylon 1st or just the tamiya
ill do the vinyl on the next one
where do i get that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.