Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2923Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 AM
  #8071  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockport, UK
Posts: 1,023
Default

Originally Posted by Marty Peterson
Now this will not work for the F103 or F104 - W as they are both the same as far as I can tell.
The F103 and F104W rear hubs are the same, and they are the same as the narrow F104. The standard spec F104 uses the same diff as the F103, and the newer F104 Pro diff fits in the F103. The difference in rear width is entirely down to the width of the rear wheels.
terry.sc is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 06:44 AM
  #8072  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 125
Default

hey guys, my club is racing with controlled tires. they have set us to use the HPI potenza tires. my problem is the F104 mesh rims i got are too big..... the tires sort of sink in the middle of the tread.

what rims can i put the HPI tires on that will fit the F104?
brendon.matt is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 AM
  #8073  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Look for the Ride rims for F104, I think they will work.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM
  #8074  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Marty Peterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fox Lake IL
Posts: 1,828
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
So, here's my next question to Marty, and everyone else who are working on these adapters to use the VTA wheels on the F104: When mounted, what will be the maximum rear width, and maximum front width that is attainable? I would like to see the rear width at no less than 190-195mm, and the front at 190mm. Last night I was studying a lot of pictures of the Lotus 49 and other late 60's F1 cars, and the width of said cars was wider than what some may think; the tires were a little wider than the 1.5 liter F1 cars of the early 60's...but the "track width" of the cars had increased considerably!

I guess my point is that the stock setup originally sugested by Manny of using the stock F104 front arms and rear axle width looks too narrow as compared to how the real cars looked. Plus, if we widen the track width, it may help with the handling as well. A win, win situation. Any thoughts?
190mm is what I believe were shooting for David. I will not know for sure till the parts I ordered from shapeways get here or Chris come through with the Parts, Tamiya front suspension & rear hubs I ordered and or someone else comes up with something but we are working on it buddy, right now I can go from 185ish to 190,
Marty Peterson is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 AM
  #8075  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Marty Peterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fox Lake IL
Posts: 1,828
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by terry.sc
The F103 and F104W rear hubs are the same, and they are the same as the narrow F104. The standard spec F104 uses the same diff as the F103, and the newer F104 Pro diff fits in the F103. The difference in rear width is entirely down to the width of the rear wheels.
Thanks Terry Happy to know that for sure now.

Hey we are all gaining ground on this!
Marty Peterson is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM
  #8076  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (70)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 2,560
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Marty Peterson
That is what I'm talking about!



Bigger view http://lee2763.smugmug.com/Other/f/2...qscHx&lb=1&s=O
The dimensions in the drawing I did were the same as the first part, just moving the disk to the rear. So the only difference was the 10.7mm dim was actually 6.

I'll send you that file for the exact measurement other piece later on tonight when I get a chance!
PROMODVETTE is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
  #8077  
Tech Regular
 
Manny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 421
Default I like 'em wiiiiide

The std F104 size tires were specified for Vf1 because they are readily available and most racers already had them. I originally designed the car for the F104w equipped with f103 suspension and tires. Here's a pic of the prototype; the front arm fairings are only big enough for the f103 arms.
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_4567.jpg  
Manny is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  #8078  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
Default

Could any 1 help me to get the instructions for tamiya ferrari f2012 body?

-I ordered the body parts set(just lexan stuff) and wings. I did not order the decals. (this will be a sauber not a ferrari), so I missed out on the instructions that are inside that decal bag.

Im sure Ill figure out where to cut when I get the body parts here but if you have the instructions and a scanner/camera please post it here or pm me.

Thanks,

-Pate
fastvee is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM
  #8079  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Marty Peterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fox Lake IL
Posts: 1,828
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
The dimensions in the drawing I did were the same as the first part, just moving the disk to the rear. So the only difference was the 10.7mm dim was actually 6.

I'll send you that file for the exact measurement other piece later on tonight when I get a chance!
Sounds good to me.
Marty Peterson is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM
  #8080  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,136
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Making Progress

Originally Posted by Marty Peterson
Right! This is the fun part of this hobby

Promod!!! NICE

Fishing was a bust wit my son yesterday and today I'm ready to get back to VF1 and 1/8 Gas Stuff!

It's difficult to catch up with all of the posts and discussions so forgive me if I'm bit out of step.

Marty your lastest cad drawing looks great to me!! I did some more measuring and here's what I see. (No speak CAD I'll do some sort of sketches later if needed.) The 12.7mm you show (2+10.7) on the previons pics is very close to the length of the 12mm hex section of the diff and adapter. The 6mm length of the 12mm hex is 2mm greater than the depth of the VTA wheel hex and makes the stub axle length even farther off. Your new depiction looks to be about the "ideal" 4mm.

Since the length of the 12mm hex needs to be around 6mm and there needs to be some thickness to conect it to the 14mm hex (2mm?) 6mm is taken up by the adapter out of hte about 8mm of the wheel nut stud. Not much to hold the wheel, especially with the threads beening aluminum. (I think I have seen you comment about this and I will try to see how to modify the studs...

As for the overall widths of the rear asemblies, I'm confident 190mm is easily doable and will prove it out once we confirm the dimensions of the adapters. The critical dimension I need is from the face of the 12mm to the (internal) face of the 14mm. That controls the length we are concerned about.

Some spacers maybe necessary to fine tune but I think the diff side is most critical since we must be concerned with gear alignment.
aarcobra is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM
  #8081  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,136
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default F103 vs. F104

Originally Posted by terry.sc
The F103 and F104W rear hubs are the same, and they are the same as the narrow F104. The standard spec F104 uses the same diff as the F103, and the newer F104 Pro diff fits in the F103. The difference in rear width is entirely down to the width of the rear wheels.
Terry.sc,

I'm not 100% familiar with all of tammy's mix and match of parts, so please clarify. Did not the F103 use a very different diff arrangement where the thrust bearing assembly is mounted against the outer face of the wheel and actually made you partially disassemble the diff to remove the rear diff side wheel?

If this is the case it is unlikely that an F103 diff side assembly could be used with the adapters we are discussing and VTA wheels. I have 3Racing F104 diffs and Tammy aluminum diffs that use the wheel nut "normally" to only hold the wheel in place, not diff parts.

Are there other versions of these parts you are aware of?

Thanks,
Ned
aarcobra is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:08 PM
  #8082  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,136
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Next Gen!!!

Originally Posted by Manny
The std F104 size tires were specified for Vf1 because they are readily available and most racers already had them. I originally designed the car for the F104w equipped with f103 suspension and tires. Here's a pic of the prototype; the front arm fairings are only big enough for the f103 arms.
Manny,
We're just trying to help you improve the GEN 2 VF1!! (with proper treaded tires)
aarcobra is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 PM
  #8083  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,191
Default

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Terry.sc,

I'm not 100% familiar with all of tammy's mix and match of parts, so please clarify. Did not the F103 use a very different diff arrangement where the thrust bearing assembly is mounted against the outer face of the wheel and actually made you partially disassemble the diff to remove the rear diff side wheel?

If this is the case it is unlikely that an F103 diff side assembly could be used with the adapters we are discussing and VTA wheels. I have 3Racing F104 diffs and Tammy aluminum diffs that use the wheel nut "normally" to only hold the wheel in place, not diff parts.

Are there other versions of these parts you are aware of?

Thanks,
Ned
That is correct. The thrust bearing assembly for the F103 is in the wheel instead of in the hub like the F104. However the width of the assembly is the same between the F103 and the F104. The width and off-set of the rims is what makes the car 180mm or 200mm.
InspGadgt is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM
  #8084  
Tech Regular
 
Manny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 421
Default

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Manny,
We're just trying to help you improve the GEN 2 VF1!! (with proper treaded tires)
Oh I didn't mean to come off as negative in any way. I really enjoy seeing all this creativity and problem solving that's going on!
Manny is offline  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  #8085  
Tech Master
iTrader: (41)
 
edhchoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: vancouver, wa, usa
Posts: 1,509
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fastvee
Could any 1 help me to get the instructions for tamiya ferrari f2012 body?

-I ordered the body parts set(just lexan stuff) and wings. I did not order the decals. (this will be a sauber not a ferrari), so I missed out on the instructions that are inside that decal bag.

Im sure Ill figure out where to cut when I get the body parts here but if you have the instructions and a scanner/camera please post it here or pm me.

Thanks,

-Pate
Here you go..









edhchoe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.