Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2904Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
USF1?

Am I missing something or do you mean UF1?

UF1 is going to 180mm F1 cars only and dropping the "Open" class which allowed 200mm and foam tired cars but required F1 type front ends and wheel/tire combos.
Even if they drop this class just run a F104,and spend more time painting a nice body for it. If everybody runs the same size car it doesnt really matter,you will still be fast if you are fast with a F103.
Im slow with both,but faster with both than the slower guys than me. Speed is relative.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When I run F1 races, any chassis is allowed as long as it is scale looking F1 rubber tires and scale looking F1 cars.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
There is also a Tech Racing car that runs the F104 wheels and the same dimensions.

Back when I was running a scale F1 class we would allow the Corally, HPI, and others if they converted their axles to use the Tamiya or Kyosho rims and tires to keep the scale looks. But it also goes beyond scale appearance and into competitiveness. Take your TC example...it is a bit off...it would be more like allowing a 200mm TC with tires twice as wide and half the weight to compete against 190mm TCs with heavy and narrow tires. There is no way that would be allowed in TC...why should it be allowed in F1? Cars like that just can not fairly compete against F104s...same goes for the F103. Unfortunately there are just too many configurations of F1 cars out there. To do it properly would take 3 classes when there just isn't enough racers out there to support it. Now 3Racing has a whole different F1 coming out with completely different dimensions from all the others. This is the problem with F1...the manufacturers are all going their own way which only hurts the class in the long run. So we are stuck in a conundrum...let all the chassis compete and the class dies because the only way to be competitive is to have a pan car with a F1 body slapped on it...or to limit chassis to start with and isolate potential entries because their cars don't meet the standards. Groups like USF1 are trying to get a standard in place so hopefully manufacturers will make cars that are all within the same overall specs.
Completely agree with the statement about the rules being at a cross roads. With different manufacturers usin different dimensions, it will only hurt the class.
It's a simple fact that if you were to try and race all the options in one class, the wide cars would (and do) wipe the floor with the narrow.

For it to have any chance to grow, there really needs to be a consensous on direction. UF1, IMO, have the right idea, but you can't please everyone all of the time, and some people will always be annoyed at losing any advantage. Having said that, I bet the fast guys with a 103 will still be fast guys with a 104!
Also, IMO, being harsh with what cars are and aren't allowed is only going to aid convincing the manufactures to follow a common set of dimensions. Keep rejecting their car, and they will get the picture.

Personally, I dont want my F1 to be a 10th pan car with a nice shell, I want a realistic looking version of a modern f1... As it just looks cool on track.

As for the corally, when it's advertised as a cheater f1, you know something is wrong. I'm also really dissapointed about the FGX, I was looking to pick one up until learning about the width. For sure i will kick up a fuss about if I see one get in put on the track in the local series soon.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

+1
Said the same thing over on the "F1/Slash" thread.
The wider car is better.(that's why I run it)
Tossing irs/ifs+ a different dimension car into the mix is going to make it even harder to get continuity in the class.
Don't forget the 103 IS scale.
It's just the scale of years past.

Too many options of apple and orange cars for the supposed "same class".
It's basically run what ya brung now.....nobody is going to take it seriously if it keeps up
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
The F1 RC series here in Japan doesnt allow pan car tires,because they are trying to sell the crappy Zen F103 tires because he is a sponcer,they also allow Gyros.
Hi bakaguyjean.. your statement got me curious.

How does a gyro work on cars and what kinda of gyros are you talking about?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

something like this ... ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRBB2-Xr-Lc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dQlBmfV2I
Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have two Kyosho SR-5s in the case at LHS, one is 95 target scotch indy car and the other is autographic penzoil indycar. People ask about them all the time. The chassis was sold for around $65 in mid 90's, that's why I bought two.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Have you check your Corally its 200mm,same as a F103 so you do not need to cut the wheels.It just looks stupid,so people that like F1 do not want to see stupid looking cars.
So you should pick a different class where fast is all that is important. If you like F1 buy a different chassis that looks like an F1 car. There are at least 12 out there.
The problem is about more than just the overall width. The tires are wider than F1 tires, the rim is taller so the tire has less sidewall, and there are a lot more compounds out there to choose from than F1 tires. All of those give cars like the Corally a significant advantage over cars running a typical F1 style rim and tire.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

A lot of people may not like it but Tamiya IS the standard for F1. Every time F1 has made any kind of a come back it has been because Tamiya came out with a new F1 car or reworked and re-released an existing one. If the other manufacturers would take their lead from Tamiya when they do get F1 going again we wouldn't have this problem.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

We are starting a new F1 class here in Toledo Ohio. We are lucky in the fact that no one has a F1 car sitting on the shelf that would come out and race weekly so we had a blank sheet of paper to start with. We basicly made a Tamiya f104 class. You buy a tamiya F104 and you will have the best car in the feild since no other car is allowed in. You also have to use Tamiya parts and no cutting of the chassis. This is the only way I could see to make sure it doesn't turn into the car of the week class. We made our rules up on a open forum and we got alot of people crying about forcing everyone to buy a F104 when there are cheaper cars out that could be used but the cheaper cars are also wider. We wanted a class that the driver and set up decide the winner and not the car. We have locked down motor and ESC rules also. So its pretty much a spec class. We are yet to hold our first race as we have cars on order but no one has one in hand yet. I can't wait!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Tamiya is probably the only company that is hosting racing events at no admission cost. TCS has been around since mid 90s, Tamiya is the company that is releasing new kits and re-released ones on a regular basis. If I recall correctly, Kyosho had similar chassis spec as Tamiya. We need other companies to get onboard. Proline/Protoform used to make Beneton and McLaren F1 bodies, and even F1 wheels and tires (F1 Hawgs) that were suitable for Tamiya and Kyosho.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Xceed has tires for the F103 on rims and GP speedtires has donuts and tires on rims for the F103 and F104 for nice prices.
You could also use 1:12 tires on the F103 rims

regards Roy
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
We are starting a new F1 class here in Toledo Ohio. We are lucky in the fact that no one has a F1 car sitting on the shelf that would come out and race so we had a blank sheet of paper to start with. We basicly made a Tamiya f104 class. You buy a tamiya F104 and you will have the best car in the feild since no other car is allowed in. You also have to use Tamiya parts and no cutting of the chassis. This is the only way I could see to make sure it doesn't turn into the car of the week class. We made our rules up on a open forum and we got alot of people crying about forcing everyone to buy a F104 when there are cheaper cars out that could be used but the cheaper cars are also wider. We wanted a class that the driver and set up decide the winner and not the car. We have locked down motor and ESC rules also. So its pretty much a spec class. We are yet to hold our first race as we have cars on order but no one has one in hand yet. I can't wait!
Good to hear that rules are locked down. We did similar actions for M03 chassis few years back, it was great racing for couple years until our parking lot got destroyed.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard

Personally, I dont want my F1 to be a 10th pan car with a nice shell, I want a realistic looking version of a modern f1... As it just looks cool on track.
+1!!
RC F1 racing needs to be realistic first, and performance next. I totally agree with you TryHard.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The point here is they keep changing what is realitic, from 200mm to 180mm, and now to 190mm . If I buy an F104 today, I will have to change it soon anyway, the same racers had to change their f103's. There is a difference between taking the lead and turning the class into a monopoly: all the decisions taken are in favor of the manufacturer, not the racers ! It has been, and will always be their way or the highway! As far as maintaining scale, I think the Nikko F1 beats everybody !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.