Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 03:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mager
Hello all, How do the offset steering knuckles affect car handling when put in the "trailing" position? I'm specifically referring to the Tamiya F103/F104 platform, but any info on the effects for any car are welcome.

Thank you.
Makes the car less "twitchy" or reactive. Usually the better choice for outdoor tracks where traction is usually lower. Inline is usually better for indoor and very tight tracks where the front end has to react quicker.
Old 08-09-2023, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Steering angle vs servo throw vs servo speed vs end points kind of are what they are in either location. You shouldn't notice a difference if you have a fast servo. The change in Ackermann from changing your steering linkages is where it's at.
Old 08-09-2023, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

How many of you guys are running spools on black carpet?
Old 08-09-2023, 07:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LowDrag
How many of you guys are running spools on black carpet?
this is the only way to be fast -- unless grip is super low.

... i take that back, one other way to be fast is to use a ball diff but to fill it w/ Traxxas ball diff replacement pegs. This was first shown to me at 180 Raceway in Dec 2017. It totally changed how the car drove as compared to a normal ball diff or gear diff. It was so good -- that we then made spools, first for F1 and then for 12th. Spools re-debuted at the 2018 Snowbirds (if the year is right). Now everyone runs spools -- even UK guys in 12th on low grip carpet.

running a spool was just easier (and lighter) than keeping the diff working with these Traxxas pegs.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hanulec
this is the only way to be fast -- unless grip is super low.

... i take that back, one other way to be fast is to use a ball diff but to fill it w/ Traxxas ball diff replacement pegs. This was first shown to me at 180 Raceway in Dec 2017. It totally changed how the car drove as compared to a normal ball diff or gear diff. It was so good -- that we then made spools, first for F1 and then for 12th. Spools re-debuted at the 2018 Snowbirds (if the year is right). Now everyone runs spools -- even UK guys in 12th on low grip carpet.

running a spool was just easier (and lighter) than keeping the diff working with these Traxxas pegs.
Roger that, spool it is.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Tech Initiate

I have a pretty dumb question. I am running exotek double red rear tires with a spool on black carpet and the rear tires are slowly coming unglued from the rims. Is this because my gluing protocol is terrible or is this something which happens due to sidewall flex and the occasional board slapping over time? Thanks!
Old 08-09-2023, 12:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Seems like an F1 class has sprung back to life again at my local club, I'm very interested to give it a shot as I like to drive as much as possible when on a race day.

However, I have never driven, let alone raced an F1 car, only many years of on road touring cars.

So I would like to ask if you were looking for a low maintenance, somewhat competitive, somewhat affordable, and with decent part support in EU, what would you pick?

Are there any brands and models to avoid, or is it all of okay quality?

Thanks,
Olivier
Old 08-09-2023, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OlivierWierda
Seems like an F1 class has sprung back to life again at my local club, I'm very interested to give it a shot as I like to drive as much as possible when on a race day.

However, I have never driven, let alone raced an F1 car, only many years of on road touring cars.

So I would like to ask if you were looking for a low maintenance, somewhat competitive, somewhat affordable, and with decent part support in EU, what would you pick?

Thanks,
Olivier
I’ve got the Roche and like it in many ways but kind of wish I would have gone with the Xray or Exotek. I’m going Xray next time.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i have the xray 23' and roche evo3 and tamiya f103.
I dont have enough run time on the nicer 2 but the f103 was a great start.
hard to say which f104 ver. is the best...hopefully more will chime in
-d
Old 08-09-2023, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

my xray felt more planted but my rouche i liked how it turned. Gonna try the xray tire set up on the rouche next time out at the track.
-d
Old 08-09-2023, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

rouche has the gear diff and the xray has the ball og set up
Old 08-09-2023, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
i have the xray 23' and roche evo3 and tamiya f103.
I dont have enough run time on the nicer 2 but the f103 was a great start.
hard to say which f104 ver. is the best...hopefully more will chime in
-d
my xray felt more planted but my rouche i liked how it turned. Gonna try the xray tire set up on the rouche next time out at the track.
-d
rouche has the gear diff and the xray has the ball og set up
You do realize there is an edit function, right? Posting three posts into a single thread within two minutes and without anyone else posting anything between that you'd like to react to, only unnecessarily bloats the form - and artificially increases your post count. In many other forums out there, this is not even allowed (unless a certain minimum time, e.g. 24h has passed or another person posted something before that. up to the point either condition is fulfilled, you're required to edit your last post, instead of creating a new one. Given how often you do that here, maybe try editing instead from time to time. Less pages and an easier to read forum would be the result...
busman and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:27 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OlivierWierda

Thanks,
Olivier
Schumacher Icon is low maintenance, competitive on rubber/foam, and should be relatively affordable over there.

Xray prices might be better in the EU than in the USA, can't go wrong with that either and good parts support.

In general, I think most F1 are pretty low maintenance. Anyways, those would be my top two for racing in the EU, with the Roche not far behind in terms of cost/competitiveness/support.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cheers all, really appreciate the info. I don't know why, but I don't get any warm and fuzzy feelings from Xray cars, although they are around aplenty, ill look into the Exotek and the Schumacher offerings!
Old 08-10-2023, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

If you’re in the uk, Schumacher is widely available. I have a roche myself, I love it, but can’t compare to others

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.