Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAMIYA F103 RM

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just finished up an F103RM and thought I'd share something about the ball vs o-ring setup in case someone is new to the car like I was/am. What battery will you be using? If we are talking TCS rules any of the lipos on the TCS lipo list are legal. However if you use the ball setup some will not fit. I was planning on using an IP3800 but it was just a teeny bit too wide and a Reedy 5000 definitely will not fit. Orion 2400's and 3200's fit (I tried them). If you switch to the o-ring setup the IP3800 will fit as will of course the Orions. Haven't tried the Reedy 5000 yet with the o-ring.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mok
i am using the 91M body from TRG...
the reason for this is that this body shape fits lipos without any issue (due to the shape of the side pods)

i like the TRG Carbon Diffuser..
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-f10...th=595_744_888

i have seen the carbon shaft wear quite easily at the grub screw that bites into it.. would also presume that the aluminium shaft doesnt do this, but is heavier and prob would be slower to reach max rpm (guess)

i would say that its as good as the F103... never ran one before though
they all seem to be fairly close in performance, unless you're talking about the seriously expensive high-end F1s like the MLPs, Corally etc...
Originally Posted by 240Z
As noted, the grub screw does not seat well with the carbon shaft. I was thinking of machining a piece to fit in the slot for the grub screw to seat against to fix the problem. I have heard rumors of the carbon cracking.

Aluminum bends. Not a major bend, but just enough to tweak it and make the wheel wobble. Be prepared and buy several if you plan to run it.
Oh the problem of the bodies fit Lipos, i didn't note that before, nor for japanese people, in fact they still run NIMH.
But wait, the people around me thought to race only with silver cans.
Will the aluminium shaft so easily to tweak even with so slow condition, as i know in TC cars, people said me as they prefer keeping aluminium shaft rather than the optional carbon?
Even carbon is not well, i don't believe it will broke with silver can nor so easily loosing out the grub screw with low RPM.

Another question, are really easier for F1 to run with foam tyres or maybe rubber tyres?

Best regards
Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853
Another question, are really easier for F1 to run with foam tyres or maybe rubber tyres?
the main thing for me is rubber tyres are susceptible to temperature, whereas foam tyres are not... but i still race on rubber because i find them to be more predictable.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mok
the main thing for me is rubber tyres are susceptible to temperature, whereas foam tyres are not... but i still race on rubber because i find them to be more predictable.
Well, i have learnt a lot about F1 cars.
In the case i am so interesting run F1s, but not sure if the race organization will really create this new class in our town, it depends if has enough racers.
They said even is approved, the soonest race could be just in the March.

Thanks anyway!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I am having a hard time getting the diff to be free.. It is great until I bolt on the rim. it then has a lot of tight spots. has anyone figured out how to fix this?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
I am having a hard time getting the diff to be free.. It is great until I bolt on the rim. it then has a lot of tight spots. has anyone figured out how to fix this?
If your thrust bearing is old, replace it. If it is a new unit, flip the thrust bearing over and try again. It only goes in one way. Failing that, check to see if the breville washers (curved washers) are fitted in the correct positions.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853
Oh the problem of the bodies fit Lipos, i didn't note that before, nor for japanese people, in fact they still run NIMH.
But wait, the people around me thought to race only with silver cans.
Will the aluminium shaft so easily to tweak even with so slow condition, as i know in TC cars, people said me as they prefer keeping aluminium shaft rather than the optional carbon?
Even carbon is not well, i don't believe it will broke with silver can nor so easily loosing out the grub screw with low RPM.

Best regards
Carbon shafts are nice, but the slightest tap and CRACK! I broke one last night. It was a 3 Racing unite, hollow core. I think it would just be cheaper to get the right diameter carbon stock and cut your own axles or just running an aluminum axle. Titanium would be nice if anyone is willing to make them.

We run foams on our carpet track for traction. I've ordered a set of the new TRG rubber tires to try them. I'll report back after testing. They should be here in the next week or 2 from Dinball.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i think tamiya makes a titanium axle for the f103.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Carbon shafts are nice, but the slightest tap and CRACK! I broke one last night. It was a 3 Racing unite, hollow core. I think it would just be cheaper to get the right diameter carbon stock and cut your own axles or just running an aluminum axle. Titanium would be nice if anyone is willing to make them.

We run foams on our carpet track for traction. I've ordered a set of the new TRG rubber tires to try them. I'll report back after testing. They should be here in the next week or 2 from Dinball.
titianium bends. bad. much more easier to bend than a carbon is to break. you also need to look at the quality of the shaft. i have ben messing with \a TRG carbon rear shaft, and it has yet to break for several months. it has however expanded near where the grub screw screws in. i am afraid to drill it and mess with the intregrity of the carbon shaft.

a slight sanding would suffice to solve the expansion problem.

as far as bodies, i wrecked one pretty bad, it was the zen-rc (New Century F-1 Body “ZF02”) that fit my lipos pretty well also. it fit around the stock battery holder, whick was great!

anyone in tampa wanting to race? email or pm me!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just giving you 103 guys a headsup here. From the interest that is growing it looks like the 2010 F1 Builders Cup race will be in Madison, Wisconsin. I'm being pressured (not really) to have the event there and so far it looks very promising.

The 2009 event will still be somewhere in N. Georgia, date will be given soon.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Last edited by Josh Keller; 09-26-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mxrich
Just giving you 103 guys a headsup here. From the interest that is growing it looks like the 2010 F1 Builders Cup race will be in Madison, Wisconsin. I'm being pressured (not really) to have the event there and so far it looks very promising.

The 2009 event will still be somewhere in N. Georgia, date will be given soon.
FRICKIN AWESOME!!!

the F103 can be fopund mainly on ebay. almost every where is sold out. there is one on ebay right now fully hopped up.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Is the R rear axle solid? The 3 racing ones are NOT. At $8.00 I thought it would be a steal. It didn't last one practice.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Is the R rear axle solid? The 3 racing ones are NOT. At $8.00 I thought it would be a steal. It didn't last one practice.
ouch. i am running the trg and it is great. i over dightened a grub screw and it expanded a little, but nothing too bad.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
ouch. i am running the trg and it is great. i over dightened a grub screw and it expanded a little, but nothing too bad.
It would be nice if there was something to lay in there to catch the grub screw and distribute the pressure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.