Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Are you using the standard soft parts or the carbon reinforced? I noticed some mushiness before I did mine with the carbon reinforced. The soft tower will flex. The carbon reinforced doesn't.

If you go to the carbon-fiber shock tower, you will get a little of the mushy feeling from the front. I had to add 5mm of shims between the tower and upper shock mount.

I have since upgraded to the EVO6 bulkheads, which are milled to mount the towers 5mm further out, and the TB-04 carbon towers. This really improved the consistency and feel from the front end of the car. It also allowed the finer shock angle adjustments. Only downside is the new towers are made for the new short dampers (same as EVO6 ). I was able to use standard shocks\HPI Silver springs with the new 418 threaded upper and 1mm-down lower and was able to get down to ~4mm ride height - most tracks are 5mm min so good enough.

The rear is where I noticed a nice little perk. With the tower mounted more to the rear, and the use of a standard width tower, the body post are now the same as my 418. All my bodies are universal again.

This is going to be a fun indoor season.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-03-pa137830.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-pa137831.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-pa137833.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-pa137834.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The interesting thing is that upon going back to the ifs, the car was instantly back up to speed. Felt like my 17.5 car. I use the stock plastic arms. The strange part is that I've never had my ta05 feel like that with a set of blue springs.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big al
The interesting thing is that upon going back to the ifs, the car was instantly back up to speed. Felt like my 17.5 car. I use the stock plastic arms. The strange part is that I've never had my ta05 feel like that with a set of blue springs.
Make sure you check your car's balance, including F/R bias. Standing the shocks up moved a lot of weight from behind the axle/below bulkhead to front of axle/above bulkhead. I usually only need 10-15g added on the motor side rear to balance. You will likely also need to run thicker oil while stood up vs IFS.

Last edited by Jethroz; 10-14-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Hello, I need to buy a body. Will a 190mm work fine? Anyone know a good place to buy body's for them. I just picked up a tb03 and first on road car thanks
Old 10-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

190mm body works perfectly. A main, stormer hobbies, and RPP hobbies are my favorite online vendors with decent selection. If you're looking for TC race type bodies, TQ RC racing in Chino is also a good vendor.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Please help anyone....I have 2 questions.

The tires that came with the car, how durable are them? On asphalt.

I bought this car to play on the street. Im putting my old mamba max pro with a 4600kv. Can anyone recommend a starting out pinion gear. I will check temps to make adjustments after.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

ready for "I wonder if this works" experiment

TB03 VDS undrift spec

swapped ball diff and spool back<->front
ackerman steering kit.
LRP x20 17.5 stockspec

weight distribution is very Front Left <-> Right Rear heavy

Let's see if this thing works... at all
walrusjon likes this.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I ran my TB-03 last Sunday in my club's Sportsman class (21.5 blinky) and managed to qualify 4th for the A-main. There was a Tamiya FF03, a Serpent S411 FF and a Schumacher Mi4CXL on the grid in front of me. In the main I took advantage of mistakes by the leaders to take the lead on lap 2 and held on for the win. Mine is the gold coloured Porsche 911 in the following video. Longest 5 minutes ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELaXA...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SteveM
I ran my TB-03 last Sunday in my club's Sportsman class (21.5 blinky) and managed to qualify 4th for the A-main. There was a Tamiya FF03, a Serpent S411 FF and a Schumacher Mi4CXL on the grid in front of me. In the main I took advantage of mistakes by the leaders to take the lead on lap 2 and held on for the win. Mine is the gold coloured Porsche 911 in the following video. Longest 5 minutes ever.

So how did it feel to say "don't choke!" for five minutes straight in your head That was an awesome run and certainly proved the TB-03 can run with anything. The other racers Steve was up against are no slouches, a few TCS champions in the mix.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Great job.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trackout
So how did it feel to say "don't choke!" for five minutes straight in your head That was an awesome run and certainly proved the TB-03 can run with anything. The other racers Steve was up against are no slouches, a few TCS champions in the mix.
For once I wasn't part of the first corner pile up and I managed to avoid the wreckage and slot into second behind Gordie. When he traction rolled on the next lap I found myself in the lead. The pressure first from Eddie, then Jake and finally from Gordie was intense, but I held my line. These guys are all top notch drivers and I left it for them to make a clean pass, but it was still a very long 5 minutes.

The TB-03 is a great club racer and works well in our Sportsman class with a 21.5 motor. I just need to work on my driving and hold better lines.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Hey Steve, would you mind posting your setup? I was at the time Zone gran prix this weekend and was able to put my tb03 3rd in the VTA B main. A tenth less per lap would have put me in bump up contention. I needed a little more rotation for the two hairpins and switch back. Thanks-Al

ps I was able to put my S1 7th in the 17.5 B main. Couldn't call my hands down.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

TB-03 Setup

I can't find a editable setup sheet that uses the standard front suspension. My car started as a stock plastic version, but I have upgraded along the way. I have the Tamiya alloy spur gear adapter, 3Racing blue motor mount, Tamiya motor adapter, Tamiya front spool, stock ball diff in the rear, option Tamiya main shaft and rear shaft, TRF shocks with the white springs, red springs in rear, yellow in front, 3Racing graphite front & rear shock towers matched to the 3Racing alloy shock tower mounts. I am running a Reedy Mach II 21.5 motor with 75T spur and 50T pinion all 64 pitch. Sorex 28R rubber.

Shocks on front are mounted at the outer mount on rear arms and most inner hole on shock tower. Shocks on the front are also on the outer mount on arms and mid position on shock tower. I used the oil that was in the kit for the shocks and no idea what weight that might be.

Last edited by SteveM; 11-11-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

TB-03 Setup

I can't find a editable setup sheet that uses the standard front suspension. My car started as a stock plastic version, but I have upgraded along the way. I have the Tamiya alloy spur gear adapter, 3Racing blue motor mount, Tamiya motor adapter, Tamiya front spool, stock ball diff in the rear, option Tamiya main shaft and rear shaft, TRF shocks with the white springs, rear springs in rear, yellow in front, 3Racing graphite front & rear shock towers matched to the 3Racing alloy shock tower mounts. I am running a Reedy Mach II 21.5 motor with 75T spur and 50T pinion all 64 pitch. Sorex 28R rubber.

Shocks on front are mounted at the outer mount on rear arms and most inner hole on shock tower. Shocks on the front are also on the outer mount on arms and mid position on shock tower. I used the oil that was in the kit for the shocks and no idea what weight that might be.
Awesome. Thank you. I keep mine box stock for tcs, but race it in vta otherwise. I think I will be switching over to the trf 417 arms as they are supposed to be stiffer and more responsive.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

TB-03 Setup

I can't find a editable setup sheet that uses the standard front suspension. My car started as a stock plastic version, but I have upgraded along the way. I have the Tamiya alloy spur gear adapter, 3Racing blue motor mount, Tamiya motor adapter, Tamiya front spool, stock ball diff in the rear, option Tamiya main shaft and rear shaft, TRF shocks with the white springs, red springs in rear, yellow in front, 3Racing graphite front & rear shock towers matched to the 3Racing alloy shock tower mounts. I am running a Reedy Mach II 21.5 motor with 75T spur and 50T pinion all 64 pitch. Sorex 28R rubber.

Your car was stable but scrubbing way to much in the corners. Run tamiya whites up front and blues in the rear. If your track isn't high grip maybe blue/ blue or blue yellow. Your set up is to soft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.