Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
Programmable 'ideal motor temp'. Trying to gear 17.5 and 13.5 motors would be a snap if the esc told you how close you were to a target temp or to simply monitor motor temp in mod. When at neutral and the esc is flashing the esc temp have a second flash after the esc temp to show the motor temp in relation to the ideal or max temp set in hotwire.
Led's left to right for speedo temp and right to left for motor temp seems like a good way to display both temps. It would also help out by showing you if there was a temp sensor problem (or no sensor in the motor).
Old 10-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Or you could rotate the motor manually with the speedo turned on and watch 3 of the leds light on and off as the motor turns
This 3 LED as the motor turns is pretty dim, and they are the last 3 LEDs correct?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

I set the RS to motor type 2, which is fwd/brk/rev. But when I tried to brake after throttle, the motor goes into reverse, skipping the brake completely. Anyone has encountered this before?

Also if I do setting using hotwire. Then do some changes using the speedo buttons. Then later on, back to hotwire, hotwire gives me an error when reading back the settings from the speedo.

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Value of '0' is not valid for "Value'. "Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value"

followed by many lines of code stuff....

Clicking "Continue" will show me the hotwire screen with all values at minimum.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by stocker
This 3 LED as the motor turns is pretty dim, and they are the last 3 LEDs correct?
Correct
Old 10-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

When you guys are changing settings make sure to use the "open" profiles to customize. Going between the hotwire and the buttons can move a setting where it wasn't before causing your error. This is due to not being on a "customizable" profile.

If you ever question something re read your instructions. I realize that they're long and have a lot of reading but these esc's are packed full of features that simply don't exsist in others. The sensor checker is one that comes to mind...
Old 10-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Bear
anyone using a Futaba FAST system having any issues with drag breaks not kicking in?

also, with a 13.5 in a tc, would you expect the drag break to stop the car within 15 to 20 feet (from roughly 25mph)?

I absolutely dig the RS and could not be happier with the company and product, I'm just going through some drag break/Futaba issues.
just to clarify, this issue seems to be more of a Futaba related incident and Randy has been awesome in giving me an education while trying to help me dial in. Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Casey, that'd make sense since the lrp did the same(no drag brake)
Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
When you guys are changing settings make sure to use the "open" profiles to customize. Going between the hotwire and the buttons can move a setting where it wasn't before causing your error. This is due to not being on a "customizable" profile.

If you ever question something re read your instructions. I realize that they're long and have a lot of reading but these esc's are packed full of features that simply don't exsist in others. The sensor checker is one that comes to mind...
Hi Randy, I don't understand what you mean by "open" profiles, can you elaborate on that?

The sensor checker is not documented in the instructions is it? I can't find it in mine...

Edit: I found it on the motor tips page on the web site: http://www.teamtekin.com/blmotortips.html

Thanks for the support!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

what are the correct steps to optimize the FDR, motor timing and ESC timing advance?

In the Tekin BL motor tips, it was mentioned that to crank up 100% esc timing, run sensored only and max motor timing. It this the 1st step? After that proceed to change the FDR until you get the right temp and feel?

And where does the dual mode comes into place to optimize the FDR and timing?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I got my rubber Phi going Tuesday night with Rs pro and Redline 17.5. Here are the settings I came up with car was pretty dailed motor temps 135max.

4.05fdr
Redline 17.5 w/full motor timing
hybrid mode
drag = 80
rev = 0
brake = 90
neutral = 10
blfw
throt = 5
volt = 2
push = 0
timing = 100
current = off
Kenny L,

Thanks for your Tekin setup for 17.5, I used it this weekend at our state titles. I ended up gearing up further and the car was quick, however not as quick as the 27t stock I was running against.

Have to say these settings worked well and I made the A final. My Rs Pro and redline 17.5 did not miss a beat all weekend.

To say I am happy with the system would be an understatement.

Thanks Tekin,

One satisfied customer.

Regards,

Calvin
Old 10-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by doriftu
what are the correct steps to optimize the FDR, motor timing and ESC timing advance?

In the Tekin BL motor tips, it was mentioned that to crank up 100% esc timing, run sensored only and max motor timing. It this the 1st step? After that proceed to change the FDR until you get the right temp and feel?

And where does the dual mode comes into place to optimize the FDR and timing?
You'll get a bunch of different opinions about how to set gearing and timing. Just cranking up the timing may or may not be the way to go with any motor.

The best method that I've found (D. Arnold posted this before) is to gear the car with minimum motor timing (for laptimes) and then turn the timing up from there if you need a little more straight line speed. If you have to turn the timing way up (long straight) you may have to gear back down a touch to keep the motor from overheating.

Max timing normally makes the motor run hot and heat is just wasted power.

Personally, I think that gearing for temperature is pretty stupid. Always check the temp so that you don't cook the motor but gear for laptimes. Sometimes a motor will be faster at 130 degrees instead of 160.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
You'll get a bunch of different opinions about how to set gearing and timing. Just cranking up the timing may or may not be the way to go with any motor.

The best method that I've found (D. Arnold posted this before) is to gear the car with minimum motor timing (for laptimes) and then turn the timing up from there if you need a little more straight line speed. If you have to turn the timing way up (long straight) you may have to gear back down a touch to keep the motor from overheating.

Max timing normally makes the motor run hot and heat is just wasted power.

Personally, I think that gearing for temperature is pretty stupid. Always check the temp so that you don't cook the motor but gear for laptimes. Sometimes a motor will be faster at 130 degrees instead of 160.
Got it! Thanks Fred!

I remembered I book marked D Arnold's post. Its gearing first then with timing.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Honestly to be "optimized" is all about lap times.

Try different timing out, check the heat, feel,etc.

When timing is changed just make sure to understand the gearing change that may go with it.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

Randy,

It's important for me to know the recommended range of gear ratio to be used prior to purchasing the brushless motor. Brushless motor with bonded rotor from Novak specifies the gear ratio as high as 10.5:1. Unfortunately for me, my 1/10 pan car can only accommodate gear ratio up to 6:1 before running out of space or the spur gear touching the asphalt.

Quick guide on the recommended range of gear ratio for every redline motor will be helpful and I believe, Speed passion, LRP and Novak have done so with nice gear ratio tables.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can't wait my Tekin Hotwire will be he tomorrow so I can start getting ready for first race of the fall/winter season!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.