Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
i think the question is how soon for who?

i mean is v200 software even on tekins website?

i got my v200 software from a post in this thread and that was not posted from a tekin guy. others get it from emails or at races, etc...

when the software is released it should be for download straight from the website and not from a friend of a friend kind of deal.

if the latest updates or even v200 are available from the website i retract my statement but i don't see v200 anywhere on the download page.
I think that this is their way of trying to control who gets it and how it's used. If Randy sends it to you, he gives instructions on proper use. If you get it from a friend of a friend, you're on your own.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

It's good to see that the gotta have it now mentality is still alive and well in RC racing. It seemed like not too long ago you had to wait 6 months to a year for a speedo manufacturer to to come out with a new hard coded speedo. You then had to dump your old speedo at a discounted price to buy the new to keep up with the Jones'. Now everyone has speedos that upgrade via you home computer or laptop almost as fast as the manufacturer can type the code. Not only is it instant but it's also free. Wait? What? You mean almost everyone else still sells speedos that are hard coded and Tekin uis one of the few that the end user can update? Oh, well I guess nevermind. Way to go Tekin keep up the great work!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

i got it from a post here with no instructions. i asked around for a profile and only got bits and pieces of info. so i just downloaded a setup from the team driver page on their website and that will be my starting point.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I agree, the website should have the latest version available.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Team Tekin

Since we added boost we have not been posting the software on the website. Our thinking was if you have to ask someone for it they will hopefully mention that you need to drop a lot of gear, and you will go faster and run cooler. That is not obvious and without this information it is easy to be setup badly, be overgeared, melt your motor and be generally unhappy. The dynamic timing software is just too dangerous for average Joe that maxes all adjustments, straps in a 2.5 turn and uses the stock pinion with his RTR. We are protecting ourselves as well as our customers and think it has been the right thing to do till now.

The new software will be freely available to everyone before the Snowbirds. The team will be testing it for at least 2 weeks before release. The software will be posted on the website for download along with information for setups. We are going to ask people to register. Now that most are familiar with the new setups and not using pinions as large as the spur like we were, we think there is less risk to both of us.

Tekin Prez
Old 12-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
Since we added boost we have not been posting the software on the website. Our thinking was if you have to ask someone for it they will hopefully mention that you need to drop a lot of gear, and you will go faster and run cooler. That is not obvious and without this information it is easy to be setup badly, be overgeared, melt your motor and be generally unhappy. The dynamic timing software is just too dangerous for average Joe that maxes all adjustments, straps in a 2.5 turn and uses the stock pinion with his RTR. We are protecting ourselves as well as our customers and think it has been the right thing to do till now.

The new software will be freely available to everyone before the Snowbirds. The team will be testing it for at least 2 weeks before release. The software will be posted on the website for download along with information for setups. We are going to ask people to register. Now that most are familiar with the new setups and not using pinions as large as the spur like we were, we think there is less risk to both of us.

Tekin Prez
you could of posted this info on the website if you wanted people to know how to use it.

this is great news! where/when can we register?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default rs esc

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Honestly, if you feel that you need a shorter delay than .2 you're probably not using turbo correctly.

You exit a corner, and mash full throttle. If turbo were to kick in instantly you'd be throwing all that extra timing at the motor in a relatively low-rpm state, which is counter-productive. Let the motor have low-timing torque to get it spinning, and then add the turbo timing just before it winds out to get that extra RPM.

This is my generalization based on my own experience: if you think you need a shorter turbo delay, odds are you actually need a longer turbo delay.

Say you start out at .5 and the car doesn't seem quick enough. Naturally, you lower the turbo delay, and somehow it still doesn't seem quick enough. You repeat until you're at .2 and you're still not thrilled with the performance, and now you're overheating while still being outrun by the SPX guys who come off the track at 145ºF.

What gives? Using the automotive analogy that has been stated before, you're shifting into 2nd gear way too early.

I'll repeat the procedure since it hasn't come back up for a few pages:

1) Turn turbo OFF.

2) Adjust motor timing, ESC timing boost (not turbo) and gearing until you have gobs of punch and are unbeatable in the infield. You will be geared way, way shorter (higher numerically) than you ever have been before. We're talking FDR of 5.0+/- for 17.5 and 6.0+/- for 13.5 depending on the track. At this point you should be ripping everyone coming out of turns but getting pulled down the straight rather considerably. Make a note of the point at which you feel the car stops pulling.

3) Only now, start adding turbo. Start with 10 turbo and 1.0 second delay. Now, you will hit the straight, quickly top out, and then turbo will noticeably hit at some point in the straight.

4) Dial the turbo delay down by .1 sec. That point where it kicks in will be a bit closer to the point where it stopped pulling in step 2. Repeat in .1 second increments until the two points overlap.

5) Now your turbo delay is right. The last thing to do is to increase (or in some cases decrease) the turbo timing value to get the top end speed you need.

It takes a bit of time and work, but if you go step-by-step you will end up with a car that is both quick and fast.

Using the above approach I usually end up at .6-.8 turbo delay.

It sounds a bit complicated, but once you have gone through the procedure once you will have a feel for what the changes do and will be able to adjust for different tracks pretty easily.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tekin Prez
Thank you for commenting on a release date. This is what i was really looking for. For past releases Randy and others kept dancing around the topic saying it's coming soon. This went on for over 2 months.

I want a straight forward honest answer and you gave it.

Like any engineering project there are usually dates put on milestones and release dates. It would be nice to hear a release date other then "it's coming soon". If you can't meet the release give a reason and then we'll all understand. I know some of this standoff on giving a release date was because of the original R ESC deboucle.

To the person that asked if I'm running both the MMP and RS the answer is yes I have run both in my TC. In fact the RS is currently in my 13.5 and the MMP is my VTA
Old 12-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

And Release Notes Would be great What's changed or what's improved etc.
Cheers
Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
The turbo ramps up after the delay...if that's what you mean by "curve". The timing doesn't come on full force after the delay. If you bench test it you can see/hear the motor spool up gradually.
Thanks Steve, I'm fully aware of this fact. Full force or off, there is no slope when lifting off throttle. The ramp up you hear has nothing other than the programmed ramp to full power, you can't have 1/2 or 3/4 turbo. I wonder if the full throttle point that gates the turbo could have a relocate queue that would shift that first high point back to the 3/4 throttle position. This kind of program exists in audio domain and shouldn't take a big leap to apply to our speed controllers.........

Jacko
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2056dennis
This is EXACTLY how it should be done.

Also... maybe this can come from the Tekin Prez himself, do you really need the RS Pro for 13.5 for extra punch? Is it that noticeable over the RS?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Furman
This is EXACTLY how it should be done.

Also... maybe this can come from the Tekin Prez himself, do you really need the RS Pro for 13.5 for extra punch? Is it that noticeable over the RS?
Beyond the placebo effect, I don't think you'd ever see an advantage to the RS Pro for 13.5 or even 10.5.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Tekin Prez
Oh Yeah!!! How is it going be call... Twin Turbo or NOS ????
Looking forward for the the release
Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I'm not going to release the details of the sotware being tested at this time. Other than its fast!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.