Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
There were some posts a few pages back about the ESC feeling soft on the bottom, and giving the feeling that it lacks punch. This has always been my biggest gripe as well. Is that something that can be addressed in software rather than radio voodoo?
With the new 199 software due it is in no way "soft"
It will be the punchiest of the current esc's available.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
is the NW set the same in each speedo? Even if they aren't, maybe you should try increasing the NW on the WGT to a rediculous amount just to see if that is the issue. I maybe mistaken, but I remember reading the 3pk needs more NW than most radios.

--pakk
Yeah, that is set correctly. I am running a NW of 30 on both ESCs. I think I tried 15, 30, and 40... no difference.

Originally Posted by oldrcr
Hi Cpt.,

didn't realize you were having this problem today, I was running at FW. I am running the RS's with 1s lipo in both 1/12th and WGT, didn't run today as I was helping Jake get his WGT running properly and I only ran 13.5 TC. Catch up with me and we can figure out what's up. Sounds like it could be booster not getting proper power to the speedo electronics, so it act this way, kills motor output, because the RS prioritizes power to receiver first when voltage gets below the threshold it sees going into the electronics. Its a safeguard. Anyway, if your booster has a bad connection or not working properly, (is it the Novak Smartboost? I had a problem with the smartboost as it has a slightly high cutoff voltage which can kick in under high motor load near end of run on 1s lipo pack or if it is a new pack, they take a few runs to break-in it seems). This can also happen if a receiver pack gets low, if you run that instead of a booster, this can also cause this safeguard to kick in.

The low voltage safeguard sounds like your issue maybe. Did your transponder work, was the light on it bright?
-Alex
Yes, and thanks Alex. It made for a ridiculous time. Every time my race came up, I had to “model reset”, then get all my trims set just to get out onto the track before the buzzer. 90% of the time my steering wasn’t exact and I was counter correcting the entire race, or pulling over DURING the race. Just for reference, All I basically do is set steering trim, epa down to about 70 (wgt has too much steering), and reverse throttle and steering. (Very vanilla). As soon as I power cycle the car…. Back to square one… I have to model reset.

If it were the booster, (yes, it’s a novak booser) wouldn’t the problem appear all the time? As soon as I model reset, the esc does it power-up cycle and the car drives just fine for the entire race.

I don’t think voltage cutoff is what I am seeing as the whole system runs strong as soon as I model reset. Transponder works, steering is fast, and the car is fast (other than my driving). Everything is wired up just great! What’s funny…. When building the car, it worked perfectly at my house. I powered it up and down numerous times at home when getting it running. It didn’t start until I brought it to the track last week.

Originally Posted by corallyman
Cap't,

My suggestion to you is to look at your throttle settings on your radio. You just change profiles within your transmitter. Sometimes the default settings could be different from what you put on the working TC profile
Steve
Thanks steve… Ill take a closer look. What throttle setting would I be looking for? A model reset set’s them all to 100% I think… all I do is bring down my steering EPAs to about 70, and im off and running. Power cycle the car, and boom.. errors on the ESC. Iv never had this much trouble before with electronics on an RC. Very frustrating!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
Yep - I think we all agree that the brakes on the Tekin RS/RS Pro are weak for some reason compared to several other brands of ESC's.

In my WGT car, I use a Tekin 13.5 motor with an LRP SPX, and the car brakes very well when needed, but the same motor in my 200 gram lighter 1/12 car with the Tekin RS speedo, and I have virtually no brakes. Both cars are using an SMC 1-cell battery with a Novak Booster.

I don't think we ALL agree, I've actually stipped spur gears with the brakes on my RS and I can lock up the wheels running a duo 13.5 or 10.5 w/ lipo. In mod my brakes are down to about 30% because I lock up the wheels and spin off the track .
Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by YmeBP
I don't think we ALL agree, I've actually stipped spur gears with the brakes on my RS and I can lock up the wheels running a duo 13.5 or 10.5 w/ lipo. In mod my brakes are down to about 30% because I lock up the wheels and spin off the track .
I should have clarified, 1-cell LiPo (3.7v) in 1/12 and WGT appear to be weak.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razzor
With the new 199 software due it is in no way "soft"
It will be the punchiest of the current esc's available.
I've heard this about every single software release since the ESC hit the market. The strides Tekin have made on the top end, and in general are phenomenal, but there's a persistent feeling of it being very soft on the bottom that's hard to abide by. I know I'm not alone, many people have made mention of it in the past.

So, I'm curious if it's intentional, a limitation of the hardware, or something that can be resolved via software. It's really the only gripe I've got with the RS. Based on linger's earlier post, it appears you can solve some of that with radio tweaks, but that's inelegant.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Lord

I came to the realization in my last race yesterday, that I am at a distinct disadvantage running the RS in 17.5. I have gotten to the point where I am driving my TC very well around my local track. I can drive through the infield just as good as the other A main guys at my track, going neck and neck through the infield. As soon as we hit the side and back straight-aways, I lose a full second to the guys running the LRPs, EVERY lap. There is an obvious horsepower difference on open sections of the track... as much as 5 or 6 mph i would guess, and I am geared as well as I think I can be. 15 or so motor timing... 15 boost timing... geared around 4.7, coming off the track at about 165 degrees.

What really got me, was one time standing on the driver's stand, and this same guy that gets me down the straight every time was right on my tail as we were coming onto the back stretch.. and he says to me "watch... you can't do this with the tekin".. and he ZOOOMS past me on the straight like he had a little NOS bottle in his car or something. He started about 10 feet behind me, and finished the straight about 10 feet in front of me. Then neck and neck through the infield. I finished second in the A yesterday, and this guy finished 1st... by about 2/3rds of a lap.

I HATE it when I start to feel that equipment is what is holding me back, because 95% of the time it isn't, its the driving. But what I am seeing here is certainly a HP difference.

I guess this is just a rant post. Any ideas as to how I can squeeze some more HP out of my RS Pro?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It seems to me you may have your settings and gearing way off. 4.7 does not seem high enough. How big is your track and what software are you running?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Well it's not really a HP problem when you think of it, it's more that you don't currently have the same sort of software trickery that the SPX guys do. I'm sure it won't be long now and Tekin will release the updated software with "TURBO TRICKERY" , I've been putting up with the same speed disadvantage down the straight as you just with me it's mostly people running Team Wave RB50's. Don't lose hope, Tekin takes care of there customers/users, they're just making 100% sure that what we get is the best they can possibly offer.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I came to the realization in my last race yesterday, that I am at a distinct disadvantage running the RS in 17.5. 15 or so motor timing... 15 boost timing... geared around 4.7, coming off the track at about 165 degrees.

I guess this is just a rant post. Any ideas as to how I can squeeze some more HP out of my RS Pro?
V1.99 is coming. Supposedly, this will resolve the issue you speak of...
The 4.7 FDR seems a little too conservative for a 17.5 - typically I'll run no motor timing w/25 degrees of boost as a baseline, with an FDR of 4.3 at a minimum.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I bought an SPX and have tried it multiple times with many different gearings and I always go back to my tekin. The spx had no bottom end imo no matter how high or low you gear.

I out motored an spx on a 175 foot straight yesterday and had way more rip in the infield. Gearing is so important in brushless, one tooth can make the difference from a slow car to a rocket ship.

And in no way is 4.77 the right gearing for a 17.5 unless your track is 70 feet long.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Initiate

what i think most of you guys having speed and accelleration problems are is to do with gearing.
i was at one of the biggest tracks in the uk at the weekend, normaly i run a gearing of 4.6 with a nosram istc and nosram evo storm 10.5 motor, with the tekin it was 6.2(max boost and std motor timing) its a huge jump but was awsomely fast.
if the gearing is to low your have no accelleration and the motor will not wind up to it max revs, this is where i think most people are going wrong.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I came to the realization in my last race yesterday, that I am at a distinct disadvantage running the RS in 17.5. I have gotten to the point where I am driving my TC very well around my local track. I can drive through the infield just as good as the other A main guys at my track, going neck and neck through the infield. As soon as we hit the side and back straight-aways, I lose a full second to the guys running the LRPs, EVERY lap. There is an obvious horsepower difference on open sections of the track... as much as 5 or 6 mph i would guess, and I am geared as well as I think I can be. 15 or so motor timing... 15 boost timing... geared around 4.7, coming off the track at about 165 degrees.

What really got me, was one time standing on the driver's stand, and this same guy that gets me down the straight every time was right on my tail as we were coming onto the back stretch.. and he says to me "watch... you can't do this with the tekin".. and he ZOOOMS past me on the straight like he had a little NOS bottle in his car or something. He started about 10 feet behind me, and finished the straight about 10 feet in front of me. Then neck and neck through the infield. I finished second in the A yesterday, and this guy finished 1st... by about 2/3rds of a lap.

I HATE it when I start to feel that equipment is what is holding me back, because 95% of the time it isn't, its the driving. But what I am seeing here is certainly a HP difference.

You are way under geared for normal 17.5 and std software.. Just a example I and most locals run 194 software, 10* on motor and MAX Timming boost (30)..We gear avg 4.11 med/large tracks and 4.31 for small bull rings(Carpet size) on rubber tires.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Lord

I didn't mean to rustle any feathers. Im just trying to work through a frustrating race day for me.

Since my post, I have seen people saying 4.7 is geared WAY too low. I have seen people say that 4.7 is geared WAY too high, and I have seen people blame motor temps on driving too agressive in the infield (which i dont think is true). Our latest track layout is just massive...(rubber, outside parking lot) we have a like a 60 foot side straight, and a 100 foot back straight (somebody from FW correct me if those numbers seem way off), and the 90 degree turn seperating the two straights you can take at full speed, so in reality, it's one massive straight.

Id LOVE to gear up, and during practice I did gear up to 4.3 or so, and I was MUCH faster, but my car was coming off the track at 180 degrees, and it was still a pretty cold morning. The motor always gets 20-30 degree hotter by the middle of the day, which is why I had to gear back down.

I am NOT running a fan however... is this the key? Fan the motor, gear up?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I had to get a fan to get my setup where I wanted it. I run full boost and won't have it any other way. My fan and heatsink combo cool my setup a good 25degrees. I have plenty of room now for hot days.

--pakk
Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STLNLST
It's not really going to matter how you gear as far as the turbo is concerned. The delay it's set at won't be able to be changed until the 199 software is realeased. Randy will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that I am
It makes a different.
When I gear lighter the Turbo kicks in at about 15m on the straight.
When I gear heavy and I let the boost on what it is and the Turbo also. The Turbo kicks in at about 25m.
So it makes a different. I didn't change the time when the turbo must kick in, only the gearing.
When I lower the boost. the Turbo also kicks in faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.