Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by or8ital
Well it is interesting. The team driver at our track has tried them all. Him and two other fast guys are all about the same speed and all use a Tekin RS. The guy using 189 has been winning most recently. The other guy used 189 most of the season but recently tried 198. The team driver has used 199/200 but had been going back to 198 for the mains I believe (he might have found the setup for 199/200 now, not sure). On our track 150X75 it seems if you find the sweet spot you can get any of the firmware versions to work. The problem is finding the sweet spot. Seems even same brand motors want to be geared differently.
I have no other guys who run Tekin here to compare with, but yes, you can find different software versions need different gearing with the same motor, simply because of the way you're configuring the ESC to work with the motor.

Our track is tiny, 10m x 15m, so most of the reason older software is working well for me is it doesnt need as much tuning to get the power out of it. However, getting the 199 on the ESC and tuning that may yeald a few tenths off my quickest lap.

Without from sounding overconfident, I already feel I have an edge on the other guys, with the turbo, I could take some time getting it right and totally running riot around them
Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
I have no other guys who run Tekin here to compare with, but yes, you can find different software versions need different gearing with the same motor, simply because of the way you're configuring the ESC to work with the motor.
Actually I meant all the same settings/firmware and motor and still needing different gearing. Each motor seems unique it what it likes to be geared at (and of course driving style plays into it as well).
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Anyone have the 1S lipo setup? I've done a search of the thread and no keywords are working for me.

I so need 3 of these right now! One for 13.5 TC, 17.5 RCGT and 13.5 WGT. How a about a 3 pack with a minor price break... Well, I can dream.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Actually I meant all the same settings/firmware and motor and still needing different gearing. Each motor seems unique it what it likes to be geared at (and of course driving style plays into it as well).
Yes that too!

brushless motors can be a lot more sensitive on their sweet spot than the older brushed motors we have had to put up with, I guess thats just the added torque and speed they put out making them more sensitive, things are all turning much quicker...

Tuning a brushed motor used to be an art, it seems with brushless, the gearing is more of an art.

Even the ambient temperature can make the difference between a dialled race, and a melted motor. We all like the last bit of power a motor gives, but sometimes we try to exceed it, I am no exception

Luckily though, I am still on my first brushless motor, 13.5 redline. So far, so good though... touch wood!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I know gearing by temp is a common method but was wondering about the approach with that. Is that without a fan or heatsink on the motor, with just a small fan on the motor? The reason I ask is that Im using one of the new LRP heatsink+fan combos with the 40mm fan. I have a feeling at 160 with that running Im maybe a bit overgeared.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I know gearing by temp is a common method but was wondering about the approach with that. Is that without a fan or heatsink on the motor, with just a small fan on the motor? The reason I ask is that Im using one of the new LRP heatsink+fan combos with the 40mm fan. I have a feeling at 160 with that running Im maybe a bit overgeared.
Watch for consistency and overall average lap times. Being temped out at the edge of disaster doesn't mean fast. If you're your fastest and most consistent @ 125deg, who cares that the next guy is running 165.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GWH74
Hi Randy

Just looking at the screen shot in post #5266 you have boost on 20 and turbo MAX (20).
That would give a total timing of 40 once all the turbo was applied.
Is this correct?
What is the motor set at? 0?

Thanks
No this is not correct.
When you have.
Boost 20
Turbo 20
Motor timing 0

You will have the next formula.
Boost + Motor timing + 15 = total timing before the Turbo.
So
boost 20 + Motor timing 0 + 15 = 35 Total timing before the Turbo.
When the Turbo comes in you will get Total timing + Turbo.
35 total timing + 20 Turbo = 55 Total timing with the Turbo.
Don't count the Turbo in because you only ad the Turbo for the straight and you will gear your car for the infield with the Total timing without the Turbo.
The Turbo only ads some extra top speed on the straight.
I'm now trying to use the Turbo on the smaller tracks. This is harder.
I use now the old setup with only a small bit of Turbo to get a little bit of extra power on the straight. Also do I gear now a bit lighter.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i was running at similar temps but was advised not to gear to temp

so i dropped a few teeth on the pinion and the car is now a rocket and running allot cooler
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikky32
No this is not correct.
When you have.
Boost 20
Turbo 20
Motor timing 0

You will have the next formula.
Boost + Motor timing + 15 = total timing before the Turbo.
So
boost 20 + Motor timing 0 + 15 = 35 Total timing before the Turbo.
When the Turbo comes in you will get Total timing + Turbo.
35 total timing + 20 Turbo = 55 Total timing with the Turbo.
Don't count the Turbo in because you only ad the Turbo for the straight and you will gear your car for the infield with the Total timing without the Turbo.
The Turbo only ads some extra top speed on the straight.
I'm now trying to use the Turbo on the smaller tracks. This is harder.
I use now the old setup with only a small bit of Turbo to get a little bit of extra power on the straight. Also do I gear now a bit lighter.
aree you testing v 199
Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Well, with a 13.5 on v189, I am not using a fan indoors. The inside temperature of the track can get quite warm inside, but I dont seem to have any issues with thermalling,30 boost, 0 motor timing.

But then again, our temperatures are probably a little more mild in the UK, so make from that what you can.

Maybe I could gear a little more aggressively with a fan/heatsink or a combo of both, but I feel happy with my setup for now, i use tp3 too, just for reference.

If you need any more info, LMK I'll try and get it for you
Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I was running mine this weekend without a fan. My goal now is to run a lighter gearing and still achieve a good infield and topend speed. I will keep you posted.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Just note that all software versions other than 199/200 will have a similar way to get the sweet spot and that you will keep gearing up to get motors up to temp or to see a improvement in lap times.
199/200 is a lot different in that you will gear down anything from 5 - 8 teeth to get its sweet spot and from what i have experienced motors will run a lot cooler with it. Its just a totally different feel.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I actually had 8 degrees in the motor. The benefit of 199/200 is that the turbo timing onl comes in for the straight when the car is beginning to show reduced acceleration loads, therefore not mis commutating.

You get a lower timing setting for the infield, higher for the straights.

You are all right about each motor being a bit different, they are.

189 to 198 has very little difference in drive. 189 is actually a bit abrupt but it does work in some applications better than others which is why we allow you to go back and forth.

Yes 200 will be out before IIC. If some act of god it's not I will give out 199 with the "fix" to make it work as a last resort.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Woudl the brake issue affect a 21.5 turn Redline motor?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Senna Racing
aree you testing v 199
yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.