Wiki Posts
Search

New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Redwood
Hey guys,

I ran my Rb-50 with RB-S firmware for the first time at the weekend with a 13.5 V3 SP motor.

I just can't seem to get enough punch or top end with it.

I ended up running turbox2, time shift at 7 with 6.8 FDR and it was still sluggish out of corners, not great top speed and the motor was hot.

Can I get some suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

Neal
With Turbo 2x , Reduce your time shift. nor reduce your 13.5 Motor Timing.

Oh.. and if you willing to get for more punch
Try "Twin Turbo", Instead Turbo1x or Turbo 2x,
with "Twin Turbo" you will get Both a lot more Punchy.

Last edited by AdminD; 03-09-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys,

I ran my Rb-50 with RB-S firmware for the first time at the weekend with a 13.5 V3 SP motor.

I ended up running turbox2, time shift at 7 with 6.8 FDR and it was still sluggish out of corners, not great top speed and the motor was hot.

Thanks in advance.

Neal
How was the mechanical Timing? I found the motor RPM come high when Timing is at maximum.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AdminD
With Turbo 2x , Reduce your time shift. nor reduce your 13.5 Motor Timing.

Oh.. and if you willing to get for more punch
Try "Twin Turbo", Instead Turbo1x or Turbo 2x,
with "Twin Turbo" you will get Both a lot more Punchy.
Twin Turbo????
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jorgesimes
How was the mechanical Timing? I found the motor RPM come high when Timing is at maximum.
Never use Mechanical Timing (Motor) when Using Turbo on.
meaning Motor Timing is at max Torque.

Rising Motor Timing will Have more Draw with less Torque,

Turbo required certain RPM to reach, if it's too soon your Motor Get's Hot.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

Neal
When I use my RB-S with a 10.5 my FDR is around 5.5. I think 6.8 is way too high for 13.5. If you are way under-geared you will have no punch or top end.

In 10.5 I run timeshift 4 or 5 and twin turbo(2 x turbo).

Always check your motor temps after a minute when changing gearing so you don't melt it.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hacker
no, there is no new software that team wave can compete with tekin v203 and never will be.

Ive been using the team waves for the past six months, and to be honest I am not finding it to be any faster than normal speedies, and I have run the sxx(original) back to back with the rb-s.

now with 203, currently there is no speedy that can match it. I thought I would gain a few 10ths of a second per lap with a tekin 203, but to my surprise the tekin is 1 whole second quicker than any speedie ive used. Ive gone from top Bmain to Amain TQ pace just from using the 203.
The speedo was fast but not as fast as the Tekin and now the SXX ss.
I had the same experience with him. He was struggling with the power.

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
How could you possibly know what Team Wave are up to? I however am sure that Team Wave are not standing still and will always be developing newer faster firmware for their speed controls.
I agree that they will find something.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys,

I agree that the gearing was way too high, but I was trying to reduce temps.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with mechanical motor timing though, Im running fully advanced. That is probably why it is too hot all the time.

Next time out I will go back to more sensible gearing (5.2) and try with no motor advance.

What do you guys think about time shift settings? My general approach at first was low time shift, gear for punch and rely on turbo for top end.

I didnt really notice any benefit from turning time shift up, I gather it should give more torque at low RPMs at the cost of heat, is that right?

Thanks again

Neal
Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Thanks guys,

I agree that the gearing was way too high, but I was trying to reduce temps.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with mechanical motor timing though, Im running fully advanced. That is probably why it is too hot all the time.

Next time out I will go back to more sensible gearing (5.2) and try with no motor advance.

What do you guys think about time shift settings? My general approach at first was low time shift, gear for punch and rely on turbo for top end.

I didnt really notice any benefit from turning time shift up, I gather it should give more torque at low RPMs at the cost of heat, is that right?

Thanks again

Neal
No, Time shift of 7 will take away a bit off punch. That why run a bit less. Too low(1 or 2) and you will lack some mid range and the turbo will kick in not so smoothly.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Pablo.

Ok I will try in the mid range.

My last question would be, what exactly is the Time Shift doing?

I thought it would be how the timing ramps with RPM.

Also, if time shift 7 is bad all round, why add it to the RB-S settings.

Thanks

Neal
Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AdminD
Never use Mechanical Timing (Motor) when Using Turbo on.
meaning Motor Timing is at max Torque.

Rising Motor Timing will Have more Draw with less Torque,

Turbo required certain RPM to reach, if it's too soon your Motor Get's Hot.
So what you advise? No timing and Low or high gear?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My RB-50 just died on the weekend. The motor got burnt after 3 minutes. I put in a new motor to check if the speedo is still OK, turned the speedo on and it gave a continuous beep sound so I turned it off. Then I turned it on again, no beeping this time but a quiet swoosh sound then some burnt smell... dead.
I was running 4.5FDR time shift 6 and motor timing in the default middle position, turbo 1 on a wide fast track, RB-S program.
My friend overheated a 10.5 on the same day running the rb-50 with the RB-S firmware but his speedo survived the incident with no problem.
I have burned one or two motors before but those did not kill my LRP speedo...

Last edited by cvt01; 03-09-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cvt01
My RB-50 just died on the weekend. The motor got burnt after 3 minutes. I put in a new motor to check if the speedo is still OK, turned the speedo on and it gave a continuous beep sound so I turned it off. Then I turned it on again, no beeping this time but a quiet swoosh sound then some burnt smell... dead.
I was running 4.5FDR time shift 6 and motor timing in the default middle position, turbo 1 on a wide fast track, RB-S program.
My friend overheated a 10.5 on the same day running the rb-50 with the RB-S firmware but his speedo survived the incident with no problem.
I see a 10.5 for your friend but what did you fry? Pretty sure it was stated here that you shouldn't run the RBS firmware on the lower turn motors.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I see a 10.5 for your friend but what did you fry? Pretty sure it was stated here that you shouldn't run the RBS firmware on the lower turn motors.
It was a 13.5 SP V3
Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Tech Regular

You have to be careful now days as short motor wires will always transfer a lot of heat to the speedy from motor and if you burnt out the motor then unplugged battery and you have short motor wires you may have transferred excessive heat to the circuit board!! I have realised this due to some people changing speedy wires and then poof up in smoke because they have overheated the circuit board!!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You should not have burned out your speedy with a 13.5 motor even on twin turbo. Its more likely that when the motor went up it shorted out internally and caused permament damage to the ESC's FETs. I have seen plenty of brushless ESC failures over the years right after a motor was tortured to death. This is the most likely senario but if you think the unit was fault then look into returning it for repairs and get a definete answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.