R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #1096
Tech Apprentice
 
AdminD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Hey guys,

I ran my Rb-50 with RB-S firmware for the first time at the weekend with a 13.5 V3 SP motor.

I just can't seem to get enough punch or top end with it.

I ended up running turbox2, time shift at 7 with 6.8 FDR and it was still sluggish out of corners, not great top speed and the motor was hot.

Can I get some suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

Neal
With Turbo 2x , Reduce your time shift. nor reduce your 13.5 Motor Timing.

Oh.. and if you willing to get for more punch
Try "Twin Turbo", Instead Turbo1x or Turbo 2x,
with "Twin Turbo" you will get Both a lot more Punchy.
__________________
Sliders

Last edited by AdminD; 03-09-2010 at 03:22 AM.
AdminD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #1097
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Hey guys,

I ran my Rb-50 with RB-S firmware for the first time at the weekend with a 13.5 V3 SP motor.

I just can't seem to get enough punch or top end with it.

I ended up running turbox2, time shift at 7 with 6.8 FDR and it was still sluggish out of corners, not great top speed and the motor was hot.

Can I get some suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

Neal
How was the mechanical Timing? I found the motor RPM come high when Timing is at maximum.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #1098
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdminD View Post
With Turbo 2x , Reduce your time shift. nor reduce your 13.5 Motor Timing.

Oh.. and if you willing to get for more punch
Try "Twin Turbo", Instead Turbo1x or Turbo 2x,
with "Twin Turbo" you will get Both a lot more Punchy.
Twin Turbo????
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #1099
Tech Apprentice
 
AdminD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgesimes View Post
How was the mechanical Timing? I found the motor RPM come high when Timing is at maximum.
Never use Mechanical Timing (Motor) when Using Turbo on.
meaning Motor Timing is at max Torque.

Rising Motor Timing will Have more Draw with less Torque,

Turbo required certain RPM to reach, if it's too soon your Motor Get's Hot.
__________________
Sliders
AdminD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #1100
Tech Master
 
Pablo Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,005
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Hey guys,

I ran my Rb-50 with RB-S firmware for the first time at the weekend with a 13.5 V3 SP motor.

I just can't seem to get enough punch or top end with it.

I ended up running turbox2, time shift at 7 with 6.8 FDR and it was still sluggish out of corners, not great top speed and the motor was hot.

Can I get some suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

Neal
When I use my RB-S with a 10.5 my FDR is around 5.5. I think 6.8 is way too high for 13.5. If you are way under-geared you will have no punch or top end.

In 10.5 I run timeshift 4 or 5 and twin turbo(2 x turbo).

Always check your motor temps after a minute when changing gearing so you don't melt it.
__________________
Paul H

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #1101
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Helmond
Posts: 1,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
no, there is no new software that team wave can compete with tekin v203 and never will be.

Ive been using the team waves for the past six months, and to be honest I am not finding it to be any faster than normal speedies, and I have run the sxx(original) back to back with the rb-s.

now with 203, currently there is no speedy that can match it. I thought I would gain a few 10ths of a second per lap with a tekin 203, but to my surprise the tekin is 1 whole second quicker than any speedie ive used. Ive gone from top Bmain to Amain TQ pace just from using the 203.
The speedo was fast but not as fast as the Tekin and now the SXX ss.
I had the same experience with him. He was struggling with the power.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
How could you possibly know what Team Wave are up to? I however am sure that Team Wave are not standing still and will always be developing newer faster firmware for their speed controls.
I agree that they will find something.
__________________
http://www.mikky32.com
Tekin RS pro
TOP racing Photon
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #1102
Tech Adept
 
Redwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 188
Default

Thanks guys,

I agree that the gearing was way too high, but I was trying to reduce temps.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with mechanical motor timing though, Im running fully advanced. That is probably why it is too hot all the time.

Next time out I will go back to more sensible gearing (5.2) and try with no motor advance.

What do you guys think about time shift settings? My general approach at first was low time shift, gear for punch and rely on turbo for top end.

I didnt really notice any benefit from turning time shift up, I gather it should give more torque at low RPMs at the cost of heat, is that right?

Thanks again

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #1103
Tech Master
 
Pablo Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,005
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Thanks guys,

I agree that the gearing was way too high, but I was trying to reduce temps.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with mechanical motor timing though, Im running fully advanced. That is probably why it is too hot all the time.

Next time out I will go back to more sensible gearing (5.2) and try with no motor advance.

What do you guys think about time shift settings? My general approach at first was low time shift, gear for punch and rely on turbo for top end.

I didnt really notice any benefit from turning time shift up, I gather it should give more torque at low RPMs at the cost of heat, is that right?

Thanks again

Neal
No, Time shift of 7 will take away a bit off punch. That why run a bit less. Too low(1 or 2) and you will lack some mid range and the turbo will kick in not so smoothly.
__________________
Paul H

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #1104
Tech Adept
 
Redwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 188
Default

Thanks Pablo.

Ok I will try in the mid range.

My last question would be, what exactly is the Time Shift doing?

I thought it would be how the timing ramps with RPM.

Also, if time shift 7 is bad all round, why add it to the RB-S settings.

Thanks

Neal
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #1105
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portugal
Posts: 547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdminD View Post
Never use Mechanical Timing (Motor) when Using Turbo on.
meaning Motor Timing is at max Torque.

Rising Motor Timing will Have more Draw with less Torque,

Turbo required certain RPM to reach, if it's too soon your Motor Get's Hot.
So what you advise? No timing and Low or high gear?

Thanks in advance.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #1106
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

My RB-50 just died on the weekend. The motor got burnt after 3 minutes. I put in a new motor to check if the speedo is still OK, turned the speedo on and it gave a continuous beep sound so I turned it off. Then I turned it on again, no beeping this time but a quiet swoosh sound then some burnt smell... dead.
I was running 4.5FDR time shift 6 and motor timing in the default middle position, turbo 1 on a wide fast track, RB-S program.
My friend overheated a 10.5 on the same day running the rb-50 with the RB-S firmware but his speedo survived the incident with no problem.
I have burned one or two motors before but those did not kill my LRP speedo...

Last edited by cvt01; 03-09-2010 at 01:39 PM.
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #1107
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,419
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01 View Post
My RB-50 just died on the weekend. The motor got burnt after 3 minutes. I put in a new motor to check if the speedo is still OK, turned the speedo on and it gave a continuous beep sound so I turned it off. Then I turned it on again, no beeping this time but a quiet swoosh sound then some burnt smell... dead.
I was running 4.5FDR time shift 6 and motor timing in the default middle position, turbo 1 on a wide fast track, RB-S program.
My friend overheated a 10.5 on the same day running the rb-50 with the RB-S firmware but his speedo survived the incident with no problem.
I have burned one or two motors before but those did not kill my LRP speedo...
I see a 10.5 for your friend but what did you fry? Pretty sure it was stated here that you shouldn't run the RBS firmware on the lower turn motors.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #1108
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I see a 10.5 for your friend but what did you fry? Pretty sure it was stated here that you shouldn't run the RBS firmware on the lower turn motors.
It was a 13.5 SP V3
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 AM   #1109
Tech Regular
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in a house
Posts: 431
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01 View Post
My RB-50 just died on the weekend. The motor got burnt after 3 minutes. I put in a new motor to check if the speedo is still OK, turned the speedo on and it gave a continuous beep sound so I turned it off. Then I turned it on again, no beeping this time but a quiet swoosh sound then some burnt smell... dead.
I was running 4.5FDR time shift 6 and motor timing in the default middle position, turbo 1 on a wide fast track, RB-S program.
My friend overheated a 10.5 on the same day running the rb-50 with the RB-S firmware but his speedo survived the incident with no problem.
I have burned one or two motors before but those did not kill my LRP speedo...
You have to be careful now days as short motor wires will always transfer a lot of heat to the speedy from motor and if you burnt out the motor then unplugged battery and you have short motor wires you may have transferred excessive heat to the circuit board!! I have realised this due to some people changing speedy wires and then poof up in smoke because they have overheated the circuit board!!
__________________
Team Wave Speedies
Thunder power lipo's
flying fox rc
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #1110
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01 View Post
My RB-50 just died on the weekend. The motor got burnt after 3 minutes. I put in a new motor to check if the speedo is still OK, turned the speedo on and it gave a continuous beep sound so I turned it off. Then I turned it on again, no beeping this time but a quiet swoosh sound then some burnt smell... dead.
I was running 4.5FDR time shift 6 and motor timing in the default middle position, turbo 1 on a wide fast track, RB-S program.
My friend overheated a 10.5 on the same day running the rb-50 with the RB-S firmware but his speedo survived the incident with no problem.
I have burned one or two motors before but those did not kill my LRP speedo...
You should not have burned out your speedy with a 13.5 motor even on twin turbo. Its more likely that when the motor went up it shorted out internally and caused permament damage to the ESC's FETs. I have seen plenty of brushless ESC failures over the years right after a motor was tortured to death. This is the most likely senario but if you think the unit was fault then look into returning it for repairs and get a definete answer.
__________________
Blade: Andro Treiber H 79g AN
FH: Donic Bluefire M3 Max Blk
BH: Donic Bluefire M2 Max Red
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak Racing Brushless System (3.5) andy85 Electric On-Road 2 07-12-2007 07:24 AM
Novak 3.5R Brushless Racing System TRiN Australia For Sale/Trade 2 04-02-2007 04:56 AM
Novak 3.5R Brushless Racing System Wolverini R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-04-2007 03:28 PM
tekin brushless racing system??? streetracer745 Electric Off-Road 7 01-16-2007 01:46 PM
Team Wave - Lightning Discharge / equalizing system TEAMWAVE Electric On-Road 271 11-19-2006 08:06 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:25 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net