Community
Wiki Posts
Search

23T motor thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Thanks...

I've been gearing the RS2 Blue Star like the LT and Pink dot (6.2-6.4) when in fact it should be higher (5.8-6), about a tooth lower?....that explains it. So the RS2 in effect is tourqier?

I get 7-8 amps at 5v using reedy 766 on the laid down pos side and stock for the neg. side. Very happy with the performance exept when the serrations wears out, performance drops quite a bit. Is this usually the case for 23t motors in genaral?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

JDM, the mirage prism pink dot comes with an extra set of brush which is serrated. which is the better brush to use. the one installed has no serrations, and what gearing is best for this motor. thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Thanks...

Originally posted by glide 1
I've been gearing the RS2 Blue Star like the LT and Pink dot (6.2-6.4) when in fact it should be higher (5.8-6), about a tooth lower?....that explains it. So the RS2 in effect is tourqier?

I get 7-8 amps at 5v using reedy 766 on the laid down pos side and stock for the neg. side. Very happy with the performance exept when the serrations wears out, performance drops quite a bit. Is this usually the case for 23t motors in genaral?
I usually don't like the serrated brushes ..and I find out that the performance gain on a laydown is a bit better if you narrow the face of the brush
as far a gearing goes my local track has a straight away of about 30m and a very tecnical mid-section. so I tend to Use a gearing of about 5.5~5.8 with the ST based stock and 5.9~6.2 with the LT base one..... and for the SR I usually run 6.1~6.5 and LR based around 6.0~6.4..
-Dave
Old 05-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by miniracer
JDM, the mirage prism pink dot comes with an extra set of brush which is serrated. which is the better brush to use. the one installed has no serrations, and what gearing is best for this motor. thanks
the Brushes that come with the motor are the same and they are a spare set as far as a starting piont ..try in the range of 6.1 and go up or down a tooth depending how big or small your local track is
-Dave
Old 05-28-2004, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
the Brushes that come with the motor are the same and they are a spare set as far as a starting piont ..try in the range of 6.1 and go up or down a tooth depending how big or small your local track is
-Dave
Old 05-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by evaa
hi guys,

i know this was probably asked and answered before, but cant help but wonder, how do you minimize the really strong cogging effect of 23T motors. i ran a 23T last night and the cogging effect was so strong, it semmed like the car was braking whenever i released the throttle, your suggestions would be really invaluable, tanx

Evaa,

Temporary solution is to set forward trim a little bit. Just enough to cancel the cogging effect.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Which 23T Motor are you using that is causing this Drag Brake affect ...if it's a torque based one and it has laydown brushes you can do a few things but I will need to know which one it is 1st ..also if you only like using a laydown brush motor....and you want less drag brake...try using the RPM version they are much better off throttle....
-Dave
im using the mirage prism with pink dot. hope u can give me some tips, this motor is really powerful, but i dont like the braking effect it gives me off throttle, especially since i use one ways. also i forgot to add, i was gearing around 6.3 with my xray and used purple springs on the positive side and stock springs on the neg.

adrian: yep, i compared it with the other motors, in fact, its a new motor, just broke it in for 5mins under 2 volts. actually the reason why i bought it is the motor tht i was supposed to borrow even had a stronger cogging effect. also i used 5.0khz as my drive frequency, while my torque limiter was set to 90%.

KOE: im impressed with the power, alhough i havnt tried the stand-up brush types, and am willing to work on the motor to get the most power out of it.

baluga: tried that already, but didnt really solve it.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by evaa
im using the mirage prism with pink dot. hope u can give me some tips, this motor is really powerful, but i dont like the braking effect it gives me off throttle, especially since i use one ways. also i forgot to add, i was gearing around 6.3 with my xray and used purple springs on the positive side and stock springs on the neg.

The Pink Dot has "REALLY STRONG" magnets in it.. if you really want to use that motor.. 1st start of with a ligher spring on the + and - side also try narrowing the face of the brush on each side by 1mm this will remove some of the surface area of the brush on the Comm....but you might see a slight loss in Torque and Rpm ...I really would suggest that you try the New Yokomo ST if you have access to it.. Thats basically the only motor that I like right now and it has just as much power as a Laydown without the nasty drag brake affect
-Dave
Old 06-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Evaa,

May I know where you purchased the motor and for how much?

Tnx.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Yokomo T-max SR

Is this the new Yokomo SR???

Old 06-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hey JDM, good to see u back

do u reckon u could help me with some motors???
i basically wanna get as much speed as i can out of these motors:

LUNA GLORY STC-S
ATLAS SOLID LAYDOWN Team Edition
ATLAS PROGRESS

the track i run on is fairly flowing but still requires a reasonable amount of power/torque to get thru some esses which are fairly tight.

i just want to know what to do to the motors to get em on song.... and a rough gear ratio range if possible

thanx in advance, ur help would be greatly appreciated

robbie lloyd
Old 06-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Pink Dot has "REALLY STRONG" magnets in it.. if you really want to use that motor.. 1st start of with a ligher spring on the + and - side also try narrowing the face of the brush on each side by 1mm this will remove some of the surface area of the brush on the Comm....but you might see a slight loss in Torque and Rpm ...I really would suggest that you try the New Yokomo ST if you have access to it.. Thats basically the only motor that I like right now and it has just as much power as a Laydown without the nasty drag brake affect
-Dave
that sure is a bummer anyway, before i give up on the motor ill try the brush cut u suggested, good thing i still have my trusty brush factory tanx for the info.

Jon
Old 06-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Yokomo T-max SR

Originally posted by martinm
Is this the new Yokomo SR???

Yes that's the newer style.....but there is one more change that that Yokomo did to the SR & ST... they put a newer end bell that has clear heat sinks and has built in caps on it like the EPIC ones..
-Dave
Old 06-02-2004, 02:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Yokomo T-max SR

Yes that's the newer style.....but there is one more change that that Yokomo did to the SR & ST... they put a newer end bell that has clear heat sinks and has built in caps on it like the EPIC ones..
-Dave

Thanks Dave, Then I suppouse that the performance is the same....

Thanx
Old 06-02-2004, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

JDM_DOHC_SiR,

bro in overall whats the best 23t motor in terms of performance and durability?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.