R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #3991
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

broke two steering blocks in as many times running the e4 so broke down and cleaned out sloe4's kfactory goodies ha.
in the mean time, im without steering blocks and a minimum of 2 weeks away from any from wolf/amain.

was fiddling around and see that my associated blocks fit the TM caster blocks.
these steering blocks have a little more meat around the steering arm, where i kept breaking them, so they would make a suitable short term fix, or long term, since i never ever broke one in my first year hitting everything.

of course it requires transplaning the tc5 bearings/crushtube and stub axel/hex's. a lot to buy if you dont have it already. Team magic dogbones fit the tc5 stubs and use the tc5 through pin. little bit of play but work smooth.
the point being, parts from other cars might also work as replacements if you don't wanna drop $70 for steering blocks =)

valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #3992
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I've never had a problem with the steering knuckles. However I had problems with the upper bulkheads snapping, especially the rear. But I think its cheaper to just get the alum. knuckles from Wolf than to switch everything over to AE.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #3993
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

i was running a 12th scale SUPPPPER soft servo saver and still broke the knuckle twice lol. i like the design of the bearings and the carrier, though i think there is some chatter in tight turns getting on the throttle. either that or my belts are flapping off something.

i got the entire set of aluminum goodies coming. just sharing how im keeping my car going in the mean time =)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #3994
Tech Elite

a few weeks until my outdoor season starts but car is all rebuilt and ready for electronics. got most of the aluminum for a steal and i must say, this is a pretty sexy car.

and the dumpster of parts sloe4 sold me. I think i cleaned him out on this one ha.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #3995
Tech Elite

a few weeks until my outdoor season starts but car is all rebuilt and ready for electronics. got most of the aluminum for a steal and i must say, this is a pretty sexy car.

and the dumpster of parts sloe4 sold me. I think i cleaned him out on this one ha.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #3996
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Now them front turnbuckles look sexy. Very nice!!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #3997
Tech Elite

I had to vulture a few of my ae ones cause you didnt send me the appropriate wrench!

I might get some traxxas turnbuckles to match the red, or lunsford, then i can put my tc5 back together to sell it.
need money cause i just bought an nt1 today =|
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #3998
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

oh like i'm some e4 god and actually have that special illusive wrench huh? How much you give me for it?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #3999
Tech Elite

its ok. as nice as the rest of the car is, the aluminum turnbuckles are kind crap. i had to use pliars on the rear camber links and that's when i started sniping ae titanium turnbuckles lol.

im actually kinda curious how many xray parts will be compatible. i think the axels and carriers are the same, so might have to compare some of my nt1 spares.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #4000
Tech Elite

soooo bitch bitch bitch i know but has anyone found the TM servo saver to be too soft? its harder than the pancar one i tried, but still having some trouble with bumpsteer. the car will take off straight out of a corner, but if it hits an dip in the ground it will veer off to one side.
Concerned it will do this when i race it outdoors.

I might be good enough now to delete the saver and just run an arm, or maybe ic an ca the two halves together? will the force of a strong impact break the ca without shereing the saver apart?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #4001
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
soooo bitch bitch bitch i know but has anyone found the TM servo saver to be too soft? its harder than the pancar one i tried, but still having some trouble with bumpsteer. the car will take off straight out of a corner, but if it hits an dip in the ground it will veer off to one side.
Concerned it will do this when i race it outdoors.

I might be good enough now to delete the saver and just run an arm, or maybe ic an ca the two halves together? will the force of a strong impact break the ca without shereing the saver apart?
I had this problem with the E4. It would never center properly. Set the trim going down the straight and by the next lap it would need to be reset again. Then there was the problem with the strange twitchiness.

I think this is the problem with using the single arm steering pivot. Maybe you should try to use the dual arm steering instead. Also another thing I found was that it would be more stable if you use the rear hole for the steering pivot instead of the front hole. By doing so the steering has more Ackerman which helps calm the steering down.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #4002
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

Miss my E4 !!!
Its an awesome car !!!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #4003
Tech Elite

I might go back to the dual bellcrank to test that theory. though i dont know if i have short enough turnbuckles for the REALLY short arms that system needs. another problem im having is a STUPID amount of chatter on power in steering. im running the spool/oneway in the front, through it did it with the lightweight spool as well.
tempted to see if my nt1 dogbones and axels fit as they dont seem to chatter in my nt1.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #4004
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
I might go back to the dual bellcrank to test that theory. though i dont know if i have short enough turnbuckles for the REALLY short arms that system needs. another problem im having is a STUPID amount of chatter on power in steering. im running the spool/oneway in the front, through it did it with the lightweight spool as well.
tempted to see if my nt1 dogbones and axels fit as they dont seem to chatter in my nt1.
Chatter is a problem for many when running a spool. Although I've never experienced the problem when running 17.5 non-boost.

The fix for this is to use the double jointed CVDs. Don't know who's CVDs will work with the E4. I recently upgraded to the XRay one on my T2-009 because I'm now running a 5.5T on it. Check out the Spec R. They make them for various other cars. http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....a4db98129cd53a
Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #4005
Tech Elite

Maybe ill shoot a vid and get feedback on what im hearing. I have a few different dogbones and axles for my nt1 i might try. No track setup for a week still. Id like to run a faster tc class but tc isnt a priority for our group at all. I might go o vancouver sometimes this next winter or it will sit on the ahelf for 8 months