R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #3796
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Okay, I love my E4JS again.

Last time I was so frustrated with it, I yanked out all the electronics and shelved it. I just installed a new main chassis and rear section and reinstalled all the electronics again. This time the Novak GTB fitted better up front next to the steering servo. Ran new wiring from the esc to the motor such that it doesn't interfere with the battery hold-down/ top plate. Shimmed the battery hold-down/ top plate and made some clearance on it with a Dremel so that it would fit my 5500 hard shell lipo. That and fixing the Ackerman setting on the steering crank made me happy with the E4JS again.

Even more so, I had problems with the car driving straight. The car seemed to drift no matter how I adjusted the steering trim. Found the problem to be a bad rear wheel bearing. Checked all the wheel bearings, cleaned and lubed them and now its running great again. I guess I've neglected the car and have only myself to blame for my troubles.

Anyways, I will be running it this weekend against a TA06 and I'll see how it does.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #3797
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
YR4Dude???
Ever tried them->http://www.rcmanufactory.com/
Velly cheap

regards Roy
Roy, RCM's prices are ok as compared to the U.S. dollar but after EMS shipping and the 1.5% fee they add on....the prices aren't much different from Wolf Hobbies.
YR4Dude...Glad to hear it !!!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #3798
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Oww??
Hmmmmmmm, wierd as here in europe even with the ems shipping and so on we still are a lot cheaper when buying from RCM then from our LHS or Wolf.
The US dollar has to be low for us so it would be worth to buy from Wolf.
Don't get me wrong as Wolf got a lot of parts that i have on the car and i bought them when the dollar was ok for us.
Now some one else is going to be very happy with the car as it is moving to the states

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Roy, RCM's prices are ok as compared to the U.S. dollar but after EMS shipping and the 1.5% fee they add on....the prices aren't much different from Wolf Hobbies.
YR4Dude...Glad to hear it !!!
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #3799
Tech Champion

Quote:
YR4Dude???
Ever tried them->http://www.rcmanufactory.com/
Velly cheap

regards Roy
Yes, I've tried them... ONCE!

They are about 25% - 30% less than Wolf. However because they're overseas, it takes about a month to arrive. And because I have a lazy mailman who fails to leave notices I find myself having to follow-up on the shipment only to find that I need to hassle with picking it up at the post office.

Even still Wolf is not that great either. Eventhough they're within the same state as me, they still take almost a week to arrive from when I order it. In contrast, I ordered XRay parts from Nexus Racing Wed. and got my order on Fri. and they're somewhere in GA, why are they so fast?

As for upgrades, the only ones available are either Wolf or K-Factory (TM same difference) and they're quite pricey. However, if I have a Serpent or XRay or Tamiya, I have a bunch of different aftermarket choices like 3Racing, CSO, Atomic, and etc all at very reasonable prices.

Do I love my E4JS? Yes! Do I hate the parts support? Yes, most definitely!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #3800
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post

They are about 25% - 30% less than Wolf. However because they're overseas, it takes about a month to arrive. And because I have a lazy mailman who fails to leave notices I find myself having to follow-up on the shipment only to find that I need to hassle with picking it up at the post office.

Even still Wolf is not that great either. Eventhough they're within the same state as me, they still take almost a week to arrive from when I order it. In contrast, I ordered XRay parts from Nexus Racing Wed. and got my order on Fri. and they're somewhere in GA, why are they so fast?

As for upgrades, the only ones available are either Wolf or K-Factory (TM same difference) and they're quite pricey. However, if I have a Serpent or XRay or Tamiya, I have a bunch of different aftermarket choices like 3Racing, CSO, Atomic, and etc all at very reasonable prices.

Support in general has always been an issue with TM. I've driven their cars for over 10 yrs. I used to be an area sales "person" ... (lol) and was a sponsored driver too. Still no better. So I would get used to the unreliable and less then top notch support and parts service. It seams to be in their blood...
Such a shame cause the cars are cool!!!

BM
Old 06-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #3801
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On that hi note, anyone want this hunk of junk
My old E4
gearhead1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #3802
Tech Elite

Hmmmmmmm
Again strange.
When i ordered from RCM it arrived within 2 weeks and i live even further away from them.
Wolf takes a bit longer,about 3 weeks but then it is held by customs that is a pain in the ass here.
Some parts from the US where held 6 weeks before i got them.
When you get mad at them and treathen them to come by and ask in person why it takes so long, you get your parts.
With the tracking you can exacly see what happens to your parcel.
It arrives at lets say 06-10-2011 and then is clared in at the same day and you see that is waiting to be processed for departure with the postal in our country and still they take about 6 weeks to get it to your door.
Our customs are a bunch of airheads to say it nicely
It happend just once that i got a parcell within 2 weeks to my door that was higher/worth more then 100 euros and true customs.
Still even with these hassles it is good for us "dutchies" to order overseas as with postal,customs and more like that it is still cheaper

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post

They are about 25% - 30% less than Wolf. However because they're overseas, it takes about a month to arrive. Even still Wolf is not that great either. Eventhough they're within the same state as me, they still take almost a week to arrive from when I order it. In contrast, I ordered XRay parts from Nexus Racing Wed. and got my order on Fri. and they're somewhere in GA, why are they so fast?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #3803
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
With the tracking you can exacly see what happens to your parcel.
regards Roy
Hmmmmmmm... Jk
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #3804
Tech Adept

Hello Everybody

I read the last posts, and I have to react a bit about the support.

I'm working with Team Magic every day, through my job at HRC Distribution (Switzerland and Germany). The support provided by Team Magic Taiwan is one of the best I ever experienced (we distribute more than 30 brands, to approximately 400 shops). They answer very fast, they are listening our recommendations, suggestions and needs, and they are very helpful. The problem you have to find parts and service is not due to Team Magic, but of the lack of strong distributors around the world. We have all parts in stock, for actual cars and older. For nitro, electric, on road, off road, monster. Off course we have sometimes some parts out of stock, but in more than 95% of the cases, we can deliver any retailer quickly, right from our stock.

---------------
Regarding the new prototype car:

I'm personally working on the E4 since one year. The prototype seen at Nuremberg is mine, made from a collaboration between Team Magic and me. I made lots of tests, and I'm just finished my last document for TM with prototype parts validation / test results. We have a few parts to modify, but clearly the car is much better now and almost definitive. The production and commercial side of this project his on the TM hands, and I've no information about it.
RC Infos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #3805
Tech Elite

Don't worrie
I will keep you posted
Have no info myself yet

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_E4 View Post
Hmmmmmmm... Jk
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #3806
Tech Elite

RC Infos, Thanks for the update. Good to know the work continues. I'll be waiting to get the new version.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #3807
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Infos View Post
Hello Everybody

I read the last posts, and I have to react a bit about the support.

I'm working with Team Magic every day, through my job at HRC Distribution (Switzerland and Germany). The support provided by Team Magic Taiwan is one of the best I ever experienced (we distribute more than 30 brands, to approximately 400 shops). They answer very fast, they are listening our recommendations, suggestions and needs, and they are very helpful. The problem you have to find parts and service is not due to Team Magic, but of the lack of strong distributors around the world. We have all parts in stock, for actual cars and older. For nitro, electric, on road, off road, monster. Off course we have sometimes some parts out of stock, but in more than 95% of the cases, we can deliver any retailer quickly, right from our stock.

---------------
Regarding the new prototype car:

I'm personally working on the E4 since one year. The prototype seen at Nuremberg is mine, made from a collaboration between Team Magic and me. I made lots of tests, and I'm just finished my last document for TM with prototype parts validation / test results. We have a few parts to modify, but clearly the car is much better now and almost definitive. The production and commercial side of this project his on the TM hands, and I've no information about it.
Parts are still too expensive for what you get. Support and pricing might be better in other areas but it is one of the most common reason for drivers to jump ship. Support from TM is not that great when you consider the E4 has not seen any "real" development for quite some time, until now and that's because you and others like myself and Wolfe have taken the initiative to do the leg work. Drifting however is a different story. It seems to be TM's primary focus for the E4, not real racing. I'm not knocking the car because it is still one of my favorite designs but if TM want to compete with the big boys, they will have to continue focus on making the car faster and reliable beyond the initial development. The battery tray needs to go, IMO...
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #3808
Tech Elite

So, I have 2 E4FS cars I run in VTA and GT class. Never really played with the setup beyond using 40-45 weight shock oil, running light weight shock springs and small anti roll bars. Since the FS has the stiffer chassis, are there ways to experiment with softening the chassis to produce some flex ?? I've read where deleting the outer 2 upper deck posts will help. Can i get a 2mm RS upper deck for it ?? And although I don't really plan on doing so, will the RS 2.5mm chassis plate work on my FS ?? Little confused about the RS09....is it pretty much the same car or are there defined differences in how and where things mount on the chassis ? I refer primarily to the motor mount area since the 09 specifies that area is larger.
One more dumb question. Is there a "long" rear body mount available for the E4 ?? The TM ones are a bit shorter than I like for some of the realistic bodies in VTA and GT. When they have to go up through the back window, the TM ones are a problem. OR...can you use another brand of mount ??

Last edited by Evoracer; 06-20-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #3809
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure that all the top decks fit on all of the e4's. Sure you can get rid of those outer posts... And how about cutting out the recessed area's on the bottom of the chassis?!?!?... I really cannot see a size difference in the motor mount area between chassis. I have an FS RS and a DE (and another rs on the way )...the only difference I see is that the De is narrower in width than the others but I'm pretty sure every screw is in the same spot on all of the bottom chassis... (someone correct me if I'm wrong) hope this helps a little

-Brian
Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #3810
Tech Champion

Evoracer - you can use body post extensions to fit the GT style bodies where it goes in the back windows. You can get those from HPI. Its a hollow post that slips onto your existing body post and clips onto your body post with either a body clip or a small self tapping screw.

Here's one available from RC Mart that are aluminum. The HPI ones are plastic.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/rcmart-c...lable-now.html