R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #2221
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Hey John did you get to run your E4 back to back against your Photon? If so how do they compare in handling for you?
I haven't gotten my Photon yet, still waiting ...
But I have driven the TRF416WE and the Dave Erlich E4 and I have to say the E4 was better balanced and more predictable. It has a faster polar moment and really likes to rotate. With the double steering setup and the one way it drives very nice. The Tamiya on the other hand I think needs a better servo saver and is a bit loose when pushed too hard .
__________________
Pro-Line Racing , Boca Bearings , Competition Heat.
Team Durango DEX210, DEX410V3, DESC410R, DNX408
Futaba FAAST 2.4 4PkS, LRP, Tekin, Xcellorin
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #2222
wyd
Tech Legend
 
wyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Castle Mamba Max Pro. Feel its power!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 21,141
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd
Default

Today at the track I got to check out the E4. A buddy brought his to the track so I could check it out.

First thing I check was the drivetrain and it isn't as tight as I thought it would be. It was brand new with full full bearing grease. I'm sure it would be very easy to get the car as free as at least my TC5 is now with not much work. Like the easy removal of the spur grear. Very nice and would be easy to get all kinds of gear rations by chaning the spur so easily.

It will take a little work to get my 5000 lipo pack in the car and I did see why certain brushless motors fit easier than others. All minor stuff that actually TM could easily fix if they wanted to. Would be really nice it they did those small changes to make the car more brushless and lipo friendly. Other than that I thought the car would be very competitive with a little stick time on one.

Really like the overall layout of the car. Might get one for a 2nd car to mess with. Always like being a little different and I must say this car will cover the different part. Have to keep reading the thread ans save up some money and make a decision in the near future on if I'm going to pull the trigger.
__________________
Castle Creations (Since 2005) Just awesome products
Bumps & Jumps RC (Great Indoor facility for offroad and oval)
ST Racing Concepts (STRC)
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #2223
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Today at the track I got to check out the E4. A buddy brought his to the track so I could check it out.

First thing I check was the drivetrain and it isn't as tight as I thought it would be. It was brand new with full full bearing grease. I'm sure it would be very easy to get the car as free as at least my TC5 is now with not much work. Like the easy removal of the spur grear. Very nice and would be easy to get all kinds of gear rations by chaning the spur so easily.

It will take a little work to get my 5000 lipo pack in the car and I did see why certain brushless motors fit easier than others. All minor stuff that actually TM could easily fix if they wanted to. Would be really nice it they did those small changes to make the car more brushless and lipo friendly. Other than that I thought the car would be very competitive with a little stick time on one.

Really like the overall layout of the car. Might get one for a 2nd car to mess with. Always like being a little different and I must say this car will cover the different part. Have to keep reading the thread ans save up some money and make a decision in the near future on if I'm going to pull the trigger.
Shimming up the upper deck makes room for the packs nicely . I added one millimeter under it (and the steering links) for my Reedy 5000 35c to fit. Works nicely.
__________________
Pro-Line Racing , Boca Bearings , Competition Heat.
Team Durango DEX210, DEX410V3, DESC410R, DNX408
Futaba FAAST 2.4 4PkS, LRP, Tekin, Xcellorin
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #2224
Tech Elite
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default

Hi guys,

I race nitro offroad and onroad cars for several years, and started to race 1/10 electric touring about 6 months ago with a used TC4, then passed to a Cyclone WCE and right now im with it and getting excellent results.

In my country electric touring its only 13.5 brushless + 6 NiMH cells + Rubber Tires on outdoor asphalt (next year we can use LIPO batts).

Now, after our last race yesterday, the local importer of Team Magic came to me and offered me a good deal/sponsorship (partial) to race the Team Magic E4RS 2009 as store driver. No other TM E4 right now exist in my country on racing scene because usually people dont want to be the first into test something new.

So basically the big question is ... IT WORTH THE CHANGE ?, i've been reading a lot here and i think would be a positive change of chassis for me, but i have contact with some Brazilian drivers and E4 experience in Brazil has been not too good, lot of drivers selling their cars due to the complexity of getting a good setup ...

Would be very glad to hear/read your opinnions,

thanks a lot,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #2225
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Hi guys,

I race nitro offroad and onroad cars for several years, and started to race 1/10 electric touring about 6 months ago with a used TC4, then passed to a Cyclone WCE and right now im with it and getting excellent results.

In my country electric touring its only 13.5 brushless + 6 NiMH cells + Rubber Tires on outdoor asphalt (next year we can use LIPO batts).

Now, after our last race yesterday, the local importer of Team Magic came to me and offered me a good deal/sponsorship (partial) to race the Team Magic E4RS 2009 as store driver. No other TM E4 right now exist in my country on racing scene because usually people dont want to be the first into test something new.

So basically the big question is ... IT WORTH THE CHANGE ?, i've been reading a lot here and i think would be a positive change of chassis for me, but i have contact with some Brazilian drivers and E4 experience in Brazil has been not too good, lot of drivers selling their cars due to the complexity of getting a good setup ...

Would be very glad to hear/read your opinnions,

thanks a lot,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Complexity ?
Please ... this car is more than capable!
It is very important to soak the bearings in Denatured Alcohol for four to six hours. The kit set-up works pretty good . All you may need do is make a spring change. Try some good (known quantity) oil like Losi or Associated, 30 (300) or 35 (350) should do nicely. Roll centers are good but I recommend putting 2mm under the inner and outer rear link. I love my E4.
__________________
Pro-Line Racing , Boca Bearings , Competition Heat.
Team Durango DEX210, DEX410V3, DESC410R, DNX408
Futaba FAAST 2.4 4PkS, LRP, Tekin, Xcellorin
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #2226
Tech Elite
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default

2 questions in the meanwhile :

- Can you tell me how much ball bearings the E4RS 2009 includes and in which measures ? (thinking on, in case i go with E4, go full ceramics right on the start).

- Any good pinion/spur combination to start with 13.5 brushless and 6 nimh cells on 48 pitch ?

thanks !

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #2227
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
2 questions in the meanwhile :

- Can you tell me how much ball bearings the E4RS 2009 includes and in which measures ? (thinking on, in case i go with E4, go full ceramics right on the start).

- Any good pinion/spur combination to start with 13.5 brushless and 6 nimh cells on 48 pitch ?

thanks !

Pato Concha
Southamerica
I will p.m. Wolf and see if he can get the bearing sizes for you . As far as gearing goes that all depends on the size and style of track you are racing . Also the speedo and motor brand info may help as well. The internal ratio on the rubber version is 2.0588.
__________________
Pro-Line Racing , Boca Bearings , Competition Heat.
Team Durango DEX210, DEX410V3, DESC410R, DNX408
Futaba FAAST 2.4 4PkS, LRP, Tekin, Xcellorin
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #2228
Tech Elite
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default

John, you are being so helpful man, thanks SO MUCH !!

Im about to accept the local TM importer deal and will pass from my Cyclone TC to TM E4RS 2009.

The electronics on the E4 will be the same as on my Cyclone, that is :

- Hitec High Speed Servo
- Novak GTB Speed
- Novak 13.5 SS PRO Motor
- Maxamps Batteries (NiMH 4.700mah, and since January 2010 will be allowed Lipos)
- Rubber Tires

This will be on Outdoor Asphalt racing.

Its possible to use 48P gears ?, i have a lot of pinion and spurs on 48P as im using 48P on my Cyclone.

Right now im on top 5 on stock 13.5 class, so i really hope the E4 can maintain myself on first spots on racing.

Any tip/comment will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #2229
Tech Regular
 
katfish317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 314
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

TABUSHI

48p spur gears work fine, you will really enjoy this car alot if you do run it. Get yourself some good aftermarket bearings and soak them as they have said here let the belts break in and you are off and running with a great car!!
katfish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #2230
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
John, you are being so helpful man, thanks SO MUCH !!

The electronics on the E4 will be the same as on my Cyclone, that is :

- Hitec High Speed Servo
- Novak GTB Speed
- Novak 13.5 SS PRO Motor
- Maxamps Batteries
- Rubber Tires

This will be on Outdoor Asphalt racing.


Any tip/comment will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
If I may say so Pato, I would replace that GTB speedo with a LRP SPX.
Set the profile on 7 and drop a few teeth on the pinion as this speed control advances the timing . The Tekin RS is also an excellent one to use. You may find yourself gearing more like 7:1 rather than 4.5:1 final drive. I let the smoke out of a 13.5 trying to keep up with the fellows that were using these speedos. Well worth the coin !
__________________
Pro-Line Racing , Boca Bearings , Competition Heat.
Team Durango DEX210, DEX410V3, DESC410R, DNX408
Futaba FAAST 2.4 4PkS, LRP, Tekin, Xcellorin
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #2231
Tech Elite
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

If you have a short track and a 13.5 on lipo you should use a totall ratio of about 4.36 to 4.4 on 48dp gear.
We on our track use that combo with 5 cels and 10.5 aswell as with 13.5 with lipo.
Speed is almost the same only the lipo has more stamina or what ever you call it
It's a great car.
Main difference between the 2008 and 2009 car are the steering system,top deck,hole under the motor and the battery tray.
At least that is what i have found out.
I run a 2008 car with the different steering system and that's it.
Our track times are almost simelar to the nitro guys.
They do 20.5 to 21.00 and the TC(electrical)do 21.7 to 20.7

cheers Roy
Ps gonna check the difference between the E4RS and the E4FS with the same setup and find out what suit's me best


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
John, you are being so helpful man, thanks SO MUCH !!

Im about to accept the local TM importer deal and will pass from my Cyclone TC to TM E4RS 2009.

The electronics on the E4 will be the same as on my Cyclone, that is :

- Hitec High Speed Servo
- Novak GTB Speed
- Novak 13.5 SS PRO Motor
- Maxamps Batteries (NiMH 4.700mah, and since January 2010 will be allowed Lipos)
- Rubber Tires

This will be on Outdoor Asphalt racing.

Its possible to use 48P gears ?, i have a lot of pinion and spurs on 48P as im using 48P on my Cyclone.

Right now im on top 5 on stock 13.5 class, so i really hope the E4 can maintain myself on first spots on racing.

Any tip/comment will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
__________________
l===/o\===l
[_]-###-[_] V-link proto type Pro10,JKMR P235-SE Pro10
P235-VL Pro10 comming soon
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #2232
Tech Elite
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default

Well guys, i love the challenges and im done with this, i just called the hobby shop owner and accepted the deal. First E4 cars will be in our country in 2 more weeks so i will have mine by that time.

I made couple calls and already sold my Cyclone lol !!, i have to deliver to new owner by the end of this week. I think i will miss next race but im not worried. I know was a risky move, but i love challenges and i know if i keep the cyclone i will be comparying too much and i prefer to go deep on the E4 rather than crying and comparing if im not get it right first time.

So, i jumped into the pool completely lol !!, just hope to do it right with the E4RS 2009.

thanks a lot for all, will post here as soon as i get the kit ... and will stay on questions during this days so please be patient with me guys !!

Mr Wolf, thanks a lot for your prior emails !, you rock !

cya !

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #2233
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Well guys, i love the challenges and im done with this, i just called the hobby shop owner and accepted the deal. First E4 cars will be in our country in 2 more weeks so i will have mine by that time.

I made couple calls and already sold my Cyclone lol !!, i have to deliver to new owner by the end of this week. I think i will miss next race but im not worried. I know was a risky move, but i love challenges and i know if i keep the cyclone i will be comparying too much and i prefer to go deep on the E4 rather than crying and comparing if im not get it right first time.

So, i jumped into the pool completely lol !!, just hope to do it right with the E4RS 2009.

thanks a lot for all, will post here as soon as i get the kit ... and will stay on questions during this days so please be patient with me guys !!

Mr Wolf, thanks a lot for your prior emails !, you rock !

cya !

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Don't waste your time/money on the GTB speedo and Novak 13.5 (unless they are exisitng and you are on budget)...I mean, if you are getting a sponcorship deal for the E4, you might as well have them to hook you up with a competition speedo and motor. Your choice like Speed Passion GT2, Tekin, KO, LRP....those are the top list for your speedo choice. Brushless motor like the old Trinity DUO (may be the Duo 2 if you dare to try), Tekin, LPR are also better then the good old Novak 13.5.

About your final drive...even with these motor, for outdoor, lets start at around 4.8 to 5 and check the temperature of the motor. Checking temperature of the brushless motor especially on E4 is a major factor. Because of the battery location (front in front of the motor), and it is different then the typical belt car like your previous owned Cyclone (on the side and do not have the battery blocking AIR to cool the motor)...I found the motor on E4 is a little bit higher then my Mi3.5 (compare to the same gearing)...so if I gear my Mi3.5 to 4.8....due to the motor temp, I will ended up gearing my E4 to 4.9....but again, I use the temp of the motor to dictate my final drive...not the speed of the car, unless you are willing to risk overheating the motor or speedo.

I prefer using BULLET plug type of LIPO...alot easier then those with the deans plug coming out from the top or the side of the battery, easier to fit inside the E4 due to its design.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #2234
Tech Elite
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default

Thanks for your words Solara.

At the beginning, i will try the Novak as im racing the Novak Setup on my Cyclone and the car is not going with electrics, so i will use my existing servo, speed and motor on my E4. Season ends by November and start again on January 2010 and in 2010 we will be allowed to race LIPO so i think maybe i can use the Novak GTB + SS PRO 13.5 motor for now, and start next season on new speed and motor, wich you thin would be the best bet on 13.5 brushless electronics ?.

Right now on my Novak motor im using a cooler (not fan, only aluminum cooler), that would be enough for the E4 or its better to go over a FAN solution ?.

On the Cyclone, im racing as low as 4.21 on final ratio, so would be a good idea to start on 4.5 at least on the E4 right ?. Right now im on gearchart.com looking for charts so i will order pinions and spurs on 48P today in order to be here by the time the E4 is in my hands, that and a full set of ceramic bearings to do a full change on the E4.

On the cooling part of the car, would this kind of coolers would be enough ? :







IM very excited about all this.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Pato Concha
Southamerica

Last edited by Tabushi; 07-08-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #2235
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabushi View Post
Thanks for your words Solara.

At the beginning, i will try the Novak as im racing the Novak Setup on my Cyclone and the car is not going with electrics, so i will use my existing servo, speed and motor on my E4. Season ends by November and start again on January 2010 and in 2010 we will be allowed to race LIPO so i think maybe i can use the Novak GTB + SS PRO 13.5 motor for now, and start next season on new speed and motor, wich you thin would be the best bet on 13.5 brushless electronics ?.

Right now on my Novak motor im using a cooler (not fan, only aluminum cooler), that would be enough for the E4 or its better to go over a FAN solution ?.

On the Cyclone, im racing as low as 4.21 on final ratio, so would be a good idea to start on 4.5 at least on the E4 right ?. Right now im on gearchart.com looking for charts so i will order pinions and spurs on 48P today in order to be here by the time the E4 is in my hands, that and a full set of ceramic bearings to do a full change on the E4.

On the cooling part of the car, would this kind of coolers would be enough ? :

IM very excited about all this.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Pato Concha
Southamerica
Before you go crazy about which heat sink and fan or fans you want to use...I don't want to disappoint you, E4RS does not allow TOO MUCH of room for you to mount the heat sink and fan, you can only mount the heat sink/fan pointing straight UP position, not to mention, hope your heat sink is not the full length type cause it will rub the rear little pulley.

The best heat sink to fit on E4RS is the K-Factory duo fan unit...HOWEVER, if you are using brushless motor (which you are)...your 3 wires, has to solder toward the REAR side of the motor instead of the shaft side like you used to do on your cyclone...

Get the car, mount your motor, and you will immediately realized what I was talking about...

I have not yet using any heat sink or fan to cool down my 17.5 E4RS...kinda good cause I want to see the actual temperature reading of the motor and I can push it to the limit. With a fan and heat sink...I might be able to gear 1 or 2 tooth more, but probably won't make too much of a different.

Awhile ago my friend did this to his E4RS just to hang it on the wall....I called it a ComEd edition E4RS...how many fans, plugs and wires can you found in this E4RS...? LOL
























Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
team magic m1b pitdog Nitro Off-Road 447 04-30-2013 09:17 AM
FS: Team Magic G4 - LRP Z12R Team Spec 2 - Add RX/TX LogiK Australia For Sale/Trade 1 08-03-2007 02:00 AM
Brian Berry Joins Team Phenix/Team Magic Motorman Nitro On-Road 27 03-07-2006 05:51 AM
Team Magic G4 J_Longbrake R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-07-2004 07:56 PM
Team Magic G4 "Black Magic" tennessee Nitro On-Road 32 04-20-2003 11:40 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:55 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net