R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #1831
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomradio View Post
Good job at the birds fellas, looking forward to your setups.

Also liljohn1064 can you could post your VTA setup. The VTA class is starting to take off at my local track. thanks
E4JS:

I'm using the G4 23 mm tall springs. Light greens in back, light blue greens up front, 40 Wt oil front and back. I Run Associated Spring cups to lower the car.
Ride height is 5.5 mm front and 6 mm back.
Front caster is standard.
Camber is -1*
Toe is 0*
Front shock is all the way in on the top, in the inner hole towards the chassis on the bottom arm to clear the tires.
Rear Camber is -1*
Toe is stock 2.5*
Rear shock is second hole in on top, outer hole on the bottom.

I also now run carbon E4 shock towers front and back and the front one way in both cars.

Rear arm mod: Shave the first 3 mm off the front cone of the Rear lower arm and slide it forward with spacers. DRAMATIC handling increase. Do not use the FS rear arms! I tried, messed up the ride height badly.

Ackerman is left alone, All links are as high as I can get them and as far in as possible on the bulkhead.

I run an SMC 4000 28C and the wires route right past the ESC cooling plate. Any top routing lipo will work also. I have not tried the plug in connector type batteries at this point. If you need to add weight to the belt side, it fits perfectly right by the rear belt tension pulley on the bottom of the chassis and does not rub the belt. I think I have 4 pieces of lead in mine to balance it.

A gotcha or two, because the front wheels for VTA have such massive backspacing you will rub the inside of the tire if you don't set your end points. The steering arm can also make contact with the front pulley and will rip it to shreds.

I'm running PRS Spurs and pinions. Spur is 94, pinion is a 44 or 43 at the moment, but can go up to a 46 for a perfect 4.2. If you run 4.2 make sure you have the motor heat sink.

Tire tricks:

Tip 1: Don't race on new tires. Unlike TC Tires these things don't come in for a few races. Go clean off the form release and scuff them by running on clean pavement with out compound. The minute they shine goes away, you're set.

If you run carpet, sauce the whole front then practice. By the end of the day, I'm usually only running in on the inside 1/8 of the tire. I never pick up fuzz on my tires and never ever lose traction for the whole race. If the front end still slides after initial practice, add another -.5* camber.


for the gent who asked if this chassis is tweaked: NO, but it sure flexes nice.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #1832
Tech Regular
 
Tomradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
E4JS:

I'm using the G4 23 mm tall springs. Light greens in back, light blue greens up front, 40 Wt oil front and back. I Run Associated Spring cups to lower the car.
Ride height is 5.5 mm front and 6 mm back.
Front caster is standard.
Camber is -1*
Toe is 0*
Front shock is all the way in on the top, in the inner hole towards the chassis on the bottom arm to clear the tires.
Rear Camber is -1*
Toe is stock 2.5*
Rear shock is second hole in on top, outer hole on the bottom.

I also now run carbon E4 shock towers front and back and the front one way in both cars.

Rear arm mod: Shave the first 3 mm off the front cone of the Rear lower arm and slide it forward with spacers. DRAMATIC handling increase. Do not use the FS rear arms! I tried, messed up the ride height badly.

Ackerman is left alone, All links are as high as I can get them and as far in as possible on the bulkhead.

I run an SMC 4000 28C and the wires route right past the ESC cooling plate. Any top routing lipo will work also. I have not tried the plug in connector type batteries at this point. If you need to add weight to the belt side, it fits perfectly right by the rear belt tension pulley on the bottom of the chassis and does not rub the belt. I think I have 4 pieces of lead in mine to balance it.

A gotcha or two, because the front wheels for VTA have such massive backspacing you will rub the inside of the tire if you don't set your end points. The steering arm can also make contact with the front pulley and will rip it to shreds.

I'm running PRS Spurs and pinions. Spur is 94, pinion is a 44 or 43 at the moment, but can go up to a 46 for a perfect 4.2. If you run 4.2 make sure you have the motor heat sink.

Tire tricks:

Tip 1: Don't race on new tires. Unlike TC Tires these things don't come in for a few races. Go clean off the form release and scuff them by running on clean pavement with out compound. The minute they shine goes away, you're set.

If you run carpet, sauce the whole front then practice. By the end of the day, I'm usually only running in on the inside 1/8 of the tire. I never pick up fuzz on my tires and never ever lose traction for the whole race. If the front end still slides after initial practice, add another -.5* camber.


for the gent who asked if this chassis is tweaked: NO, but it sure flexes nice.
Much appreciated, thanks
Tomradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #1833
Tech Regular
 
Tomradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfish317 View Post
What are you team guys doing to free up the drive train??? I have the factory belts, soaked them over a day, they have given alot. I have good aftermarket bearing in the entire car, cleaned out the grease and relubed them. I have gone in and massaged out the cvd's front and rear. Is there anything I am missing??? I can remove the pinion gear and spin the front spool and I only get like two revolutions. Belts have no tension on them either as I think they are loose.
Don't stress over the drive train. It may never become as free as a two belt car. It doesn't seem to affect the performance as many stated on here. I been running 17.5 and 13.5 and have no problems keeping up with those funny looking two belt cars.
Tomradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #1834
Tech Regular
 
katfish317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 314
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomradio View Post
Don't stress over the drive train. It may never become as free as a two belt car. It doesn't seem to affect the performance as many stated on here. I been running 17.5 and 13.5 and have no problems keeping up with those funny looking two belt cars.
Just curious to find out what others were doing at the birids as I have been told that with some TLC and tweaking some guys picked up .3 a lap and motor temps dropped almost 60 degrees. That is huge! Waht FDR are you running with your 17.5, I cannot get any lower then 4.4 or it cooks. Need to try to get down to 3.9 or 4.0 if possible.
katfish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #1835
Tech Regular
 
Tomradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfish317 View Post
Just curious to find out what others were doing at the birids as I have been told that with some TLC and tweaking some guys picked up .3 a lap and motor temps dropped almost 60 degrees. That is huge! Waht FDR are you running with your 17.5, I cannot get any lower then 4.4 or it cooks. Need to try to get down to 3.9 or 4.0 if possible.
Wow 60 degrees that is huge. I'm currently running an FDR of 4.4 but that's with the boost timing on my Tekin speedo set to the max. Running that speedo setup I had to drop a few teeth on the pinion. With a fan my temps are around 150ish.
Tomradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #1836
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfish317 View Post
Just curious to find out what others were doing at the birids as I have been told that with some TLC and tweaking some guys picked up .3 a lap and motor temps dropped almost 60 degrees. That is huge! Waht FDR are you running with your 17.5, I cannot get any lower then 4.4 or it cooks. Need to try to get down to 3.9 or 4.0 if possible.
I belive you need more than 145 teeth total and no more than 152.
4/2.0588=1.943
147/1.943=75.6, But we need a hole number there so if you have a 75 tooth use that one.
75/1.943=38.6... ok 39
39+75=114
Ok so we need a small spur gear , But thats not going to reach with that gear combo. Let's try about 25% more.
93/1.943=47.8 ok call it 48
93+48=141 .... not quite enough teeth just yet. Only need a few more to mesh. I dont like running repeating grear ratios like 2.0 as its wears out the gears faster so ... lets try this one more time with a 99 tooth.
99/1.943=~51
99+51=150 Awesome and 2 teeth to spare on the pinion. We can always fine tune it with the spur gear too. But there you go
99 spur /51 pinion = 1.9412
1.9412 * 2.0588 = 3.996 I' call that a 4.0 final....

99/53 is a 3.85 so If you buy a 99 spur get 51, 52, 53 pinion.
Remember try to keep the total amount of teeth between 145 and 152!
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #1837
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mesa az
Posts: 441
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I was running a 3.95 fdr at the birds in 17.5. It was a 96 spur and and 50 pinion. My motor was a hacker 17.5 and it had mad rip and a decent top speed. Motor came off at 140? No heatsink or fans on my car? Couldnt have went up probably two teeth without having to worry about heatsink or fan.
WEEZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #1838
Tech Master
 
cheehtae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,470
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae View Post
question about the tub chassis? do they have chassis tweak ust like most tub chassis(speaking about my TA05 chassis).

Tnx, would like to know before I buy.
anyone?
cheehtae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #1839
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae View Post
anyone?
Every plastic tub chassis will need to be replaced after a season of racing .. They will all eventually warp!
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #1840
Tech Elite
 
Rick Vessell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,302
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Well done at the birds....mind if he can share his Mod foam setting.? (I assumed that is FOAM right..?)
Yes Howard it was foam. Dave's car looked pretty good, I on the other hand didn't get the car working until it was too late. Oh well, more practice and testing will fix that. Met Wolf and the gang for the first time. Got to see the goodies they have coming. I ended up 7th in Trans Am with my E4RS. It drove great all week and makes a very good T/A car.
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #1841
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySocko View Post
Yes Howard it was foam. Dave's car looked pretty good, I on the other hand didn't get the car working until it was too late. Oh well, more practice and testing will fix that. Met Wolf and the gang for the first time. Got to see the goodies they have coming. I ended up 7th in Trans Am with my E4RS. It drove great all week and makes a very good T/A car.
I would bet that it's the best T/A due to the spec tire & lack of grip. The long suspension arms and all hook it right back up. My 416 didnt like those vintage rubbers as well as the E4. It's got the right stuff .. Lets just say like that . Nice and simple like .
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #1842
Tech Regular
 
Tomradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae View Post
anyone?
Liljohn also answered your question at the end of Post #1831.
Tomradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #1843
Tech Regular
 
GCT69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TRF
Posts: 412
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
I would bet that it's the best T/A due to the spec tire & lack of grip. The long suspension arms and all hook it right back up. My 416 didnt like those vintage rubbers as well as the E4. It's got the right stuff .. Lets just say like that . Nice and simple like .
oh, did not see that. Well, how bout welcoming a future owner of a team magic car.
GCT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #1844
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheehtae View Post
anyone?
I keep 2 spare tubs, 2 front subs and 2 rear subs on hand all the time. It has not warped or tweaked to date. I have broken a rear sub chassis and a front with a head on and not tweaked the tub. My son has torn both ends off the car twice and broken the ESC protector on the side of the tub, but tub is still intact and has not tweaked. I have not replaced a tub. I do and have wished for stronger front and rear sub chassis as they get damaged more from a heavy side impact than front or rear heavy impact. My son drives his like a Traxxas Slash and it holds up great. I should take a film. He makes his car look like something out of the Dukes of Hazard going airborne all the time.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #1845
Tech Regular
 
katfish317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 314
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
I belive you need more than 145 teeth total and no more than 152.
4/2.0588=1.943
147/1.943=75.6, But we need a hole number there so if you have a 75 tooth use that one.
75/1.943=38.6... ok 39
39+75=114
Ok so we need a small spur gear , But thats not going to reach with that gear combo. Let's try about 25% more.
93/1.943=47.8 ok call it 48
93+48=141 .... not quite enough teeth just yet. Only need a few more to mesh. I dont like running repeating grear ratios like 2.0 as its wears out the gears faster so ... lets try this one more time with a 99 tooth.
99/1.943=~51
99+51=150 Awesome and 2 teeth to spare on the pinion. We can always fine tune it with the spur gear too. But there you go
99 spur /51 pinion = 1.9412
1.9412 * 2.0588 = 3.996 I' call that a 4.0 final....

99/53 is a 3.85 so If you buy a 99 spur get 51, 52, 53 pinion.
Remember try to keep the total amount of teeth between 145 and 152!
What's with all the math, I can figure FDR just fine. I wanted to know what FDR others were running at the birds to get an idea.
But thanks anyway.
katfish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
team magic m1b pitdog Nitro Off-Road 447 04-30-2013 09:17 AM
FS: Team Magic G4 - LRP Z12R Team Spec 2 - Add RX/TX LogiK Australia For Sale/Trade 1 08-03-2007 02:00 AM
Brian Berry Joins Team Phenix/Team Magic Motorman Nitro On-Road 27 03-07-2006 05:51 AM
Team Magic G4 J_Longbrake R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-07-2004 07:56 PM
Team Magic G4 "Black Magic" tennessee Nitro On-Road 32 04-20-2003 11:40 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:12 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net