Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Please don't feed the troll. He'll dry up and blow away.
His type thrives on attention.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mariob62
Please don't feed the troll. He'll dry up and blow away.
His type thrives on attention.
Good idea. Get a thread going with the other tosser so you can get cosy. Or better still get a room.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just wondering if anyone else running black cans in their minis noticed they get REALLY hot. We had a black can mini night at the club and everyone noticed the motors got very hot. We even had one burn out.

I was running a 20T pinion with 55d tires, so it shouldn't have been too overgeared for our 36 x 70 track.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Just wondering if anyone else running black cans in their minis noticed they get REALLY hot. We had a black can mini night at the club and everyone noticed the motors got very hot. We even had one burn out.

I was running a 20T pinion with 55d tires, so it shouldn't have been too overgeared for our 36 x 70 track.

Any thoughts?
They just run hot. Advanced timing, lower # of turns equals higher amp draw. They just have to run hotter than a silvercan. I'd suggest running a fan on anything other than a stock silvercan including the milder tuned Red Dots. A 25mm fan can be siliconed to the chassis. 3 Racing makes a neat bracket and fan for the M03. A fan will cut motor temps by as much as 30 degrees.

On a carpet track of that size, I think you may have been overgeared, especially if you had any technical sections.

Any one have a trick way to mount a fan on a M05. Motors run hotter in a 5 than in a 3?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I race with Monkeyracing and he's not kidding...those black cans were incredibly HOT

If anybody does know a way to mount a fan on an M-05 I'd really like to see it as I can see this being an issue going forward. I'm wondering how effective a fan would be as more of the motor is buried in the chassis on the M-05 but I'd love to hear ideas!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Mate, it's not a good idea to bump your post count up by calling people names. By the way, if you read more than 10 posts, you might actually find the other guy is the troll who thinks this is his sandpit to play.

Enjoy your stay here and try not to assume capacities you don't have. We have moderators and such to take care of that.
Originally Posted by niznai
Good idea. Get a thread going with the other tosser so you can get cosy. Or better still get a room.
Do i need to ban the troll??
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
I race with Monkeyracing and he's not kidding...those black cans were incredibly HOT

If anybody does know a way to mount a fan on an M-05 I'd really like to see it as I can see this being an issue going forward. I'm wondering how effective a fan would be as more of the motor is buried in the chassis on the M-05 but I'd love to hear ideas!

Cheers,
Mike
Try the Hobbywing system. Same power as the black can & my motor has never been over 119F .

They are going for $80CDN shipped on Ebay.

Oops, just checked, they are $84.50CDN, shipped. Wish that Loonie would stay up there.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Cheers,
Mike
I notice that the 20T gear ratio falls from the recommended ratio of the black cans. Try a 18 tooth. I think Tamiya even recommends 16. You will be slower, but the motor will last longer. This is partly the reason why there are so many reports of failed black cans.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Cheers,
Mike
Heya Mike, 3Racing has a fan coming out for the M-05 fairly soon. Yes, it's typical 3Racing (cheap) quality, but we'll have to live with that for now.

Wouldn't switching to a BL system be the bomb? It'd be nice, but would add some complication to our club. I can wish though.

Jim
Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Our TCS series has been runing Sport Tuned motors for the last 3 seasons, we gear them with the 20t pinion and they've been lasting anywhere from from one and a half seasons to two full seasons with frequent cleaning etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

look and behold:

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/news/newitems/index.htm

adjustable upper arm set. Now you can legally adjust the front camber

Motor mount. Has two extra mounting holes protruding outside the top of chassis. Heatsink on way?

reinforced axle set. nice addition.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

This will be excellent for those of you that want to run a spec class at your track.

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...t500/index.htm

You HAVE TO USE EVERYTHING pictured there. Yes, the radio, esc, servo, batt, and charger. No option parts what so ever. The only option you get is your frequency and brand of AA for your radio. The club has to keep the cars/equipment so racers cannot do interior mods to it. How much cheaper and fairer can that get for new racers? That is what you call a spec class.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Heya Mike, 3Racing has a fan coming out for the M-05 fairly soon. Yes, it's typical 3Racing (cheap) quality, but we'll have to live with that for now.

Wouldn't switching to a BL system be the bomb? It'd be nice, but would add some complication to our club. I can wish though.

Jim
Jim what if the brushless package you spec is slightly slower than what we run.... hmmm lol

My black can was hot, but it still pulled like a freight train after the full run so i dont really mind lol Just wish i could have gotten some drive out of the damn corners!!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Skitee
Our TCS series has been runing Sport Tuned motors for the last 3 seasons, we gear them with the 20t pinion and they've been lasting anywhere from from one and a half seasons to two full seasons with frequent cleaning etc.
That includes practice?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

That includes practice too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.