Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scribbler
I've been racing my M05 on carpet and I've only noticed one problem. Under braking the rear end of the car will swing out. It's the only problem I have with the car. I'm using the stock setup. Is anybody else experiencing this problem? and any remedies? I've got my own ideas of how to cure this problem, but I want additional input to see if I'm on the right track.

Thanks
Hi scribbler, I run on carpet too and here is the scoop on what I believe will solve you rear end swinging out
Firstly I've got a few questions:-
1. Is your car weighted up?
2. What tyre combo front\rear are you using?
3. If your car is weighted up, where is it placed?

Ok after studying some of the threads on what guys have been doing on their MO5 this is how my car is set up and I will share a bit on its performance.
Firstly I run a tight TAO5 ball diff with lead placed behind the front bumper. If you can manage epoxy resin mixed with leadshot in the cavities behind the bumper even better.
One of my Lipo’s has lead on it and depending which one I use with body on the AUW of my MO5 can be between 1350grams to 1385grams.
I use blue springs front with oil weight 50 and yellow springs rear with oil weight 40 built as per Jilles Groskamp and here is the link
The tyres I use are the Tamiya radial S grip front & M grip rear.
Short wheel base and 40% exponential on steering

So after some meticulous building, my MO5 straight out of the box intially and onto carpet performed like this
Ok just joking, it drove like it was pushing into the corners, like a lot of understeering which made me feel a bit uncomfortable. After about 10 maiden laps I pitted. I lowered the ride height in the front about 2mm off the deck approximately and raised in the rear 3 to 4mm. You might want to experiment here but just remember low at the front higher in the rear. You know 'suck it and see' type experiment
Well the verdict from me is that this thing is PLANTED and I couldn't believe the transformation, no more understeer. It felt great and my lap times where great too. Comparing lap times to my MO3 well, would you believe we started a new racing series going in reverse direction out at the regular indoor track I race on an was hard to get a good comparison.
It was quick and even going in reverse I belive my overall lap times will beat the MO3 hands down with a couple more meetings.

How will it go on a conventional outdoor track with this set up you might ask?
Good question, maybe someone can give me some feedback because I race midweek on carpet only.........period.

Wow that was almost like a mni review on the MO5, and a bit long winded but thats how it went for me ..........thumbs up

Cheers

John
Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Some further information regarding the M05 that drivers might find of interest:

The M05 in medium mode is actually heavier than the M05 in long mode (extra plastic piece)

In my M03L the weight distribution was 60:40 F:R

In a M05M the weight distribution is 55:45 F:R

In a M05L the weight distribution is 58:42 F:R

This shows that in actual fact the medium has a bigger weight bias to the rear than the long version. Taking this further it would be reasonable to assume that the short wheel base is even worse. This to me means a bigger pendulum effect on the shorter cars

My idea would be to see if I can balance the car so that the bias is similar to the M03L. At this point it is not far wrong

Hope this gives you something to think about
Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Mr_Gleeman
Hi scribbler, I run on carpet too and here is the scoop on what I believe will solve you rear end swinging out

Ok after studying some of the threads on what guys have been doing on their MO5 this is how my car is set up and I will share a bit on its performance.
Firstly I run a tight TAO5 ball diff with lead placed behind the front bumper. If you can manage epoxy resin mixed with leadshot in the cavities behind the bumper even better.
One of my Lipo’s has lead on it and depending which one I use with body on the AUW of my MO5 can be between 1350grams to 1385grams.
I use blue springs front with oil weight 50 and yellow springs rear with oil weight 40 built as per Jilles Groskamp and here is the The tyres I use are the Tamiya radial S grip front & M grip rear.

So after some meticulous building, my MO5 straight out of the box intially and onto carpet performed like this
Ok just joking, it drove like it was pushing into the corners, like a lot of understeering which made me feel a bit uncomfortable. After about 10 maiden laps I pitted. I lowered the ride height in the front about 2mm off the deck approximately and raised in the rear 3 to 4mm. You might want to experiment here but just remember low at the front higher in the rear. You know 'suck it and see' type experiment
Well the verdict from me is that this thing is PLANTED and I couldn't believe the transformation, no more understeer. It felt great and my lap times where great too. Comparing lap times to my MO3 well, would you believe we started a new racing series going in reverse direction out at the regular indoor track I race on an was hard to get a good comparison.
It was quick and even going in reverse I belive my overall lap times will beat the MO3 hands down with a couple more meetings.

Good question, maybe someone can give me some feedback because I race midweek on carpet only.........period.

Wow that was almost like a mni review on the MO5, and a bit long winded but thats how it went for me ..........thumbs up

Cheers

John
so do you think an mo5 would be quicker that an mo3 on a tight carpet track?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr_Gleeman

I use blue springs front with oil weight 50 and yellow springs rear with oil weight 40 built as per Jilles Groskamp and here is the link
The tyres I use are the Tamiya radial S grip front & M grip rear.

Cheers

John
This is the same findings that I had on my first run outdoors with the front lower than the rear it swaped ends less and was just as fast as the MO3.

I run a tight ball diff ( may as well be a spool ), white fronts blue rears ride hard front 32 spice rears.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dannyboy15
so do you think an mo5 would be quicker that an mo3 on a tight carpet track?
Yes for sure, the car feels better ballanced and comfortable to drive, that can only mean eventually faster lap times!

John
Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Mine isn't a Cooper-but it is a mini. WB is 225. Not quite done. I will have to cut out the lower front of the HPI Civic to fit. Don
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-p1010001.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-p1010002.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-p1010003.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-p1010004.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Such a project needs to begin with the assumption that the M05 is a BETTER car, and therefore worth tearing apart a perfectly good M03 to do the conversion...
that y i kept my M03-R....and build another M05-pro
Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Such a project needs to begin with the assumption that the M05 is a BETTER car, and therefore worth tearing apart a perfectly good M03 to do the conversion...
So your saying your test findings have an M03 quicker than an M05
Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Fish .. two weeks back you're set-up advice was to just throw the mini on the track.
Originally Posted by cannon
Far too complicated.

Just put in on the track and race it
The next week you're publishing high tech weight distribution data.

Originally Posted by cannon
Some further information regarding the M05 that drivers might find of interest:

The M05 in medium mode is actually heavier than the M05 in long mode (extra plastic piece)

In my M03L the weight distribution was 60:40 F:R

In a M05M the weight distribution is 55:45 F:R

In a M05L the weight distribution is 58:42 F:R

This shows that in actual fact the medium has a bigger weight bias to the rear than the long version. Taking this further it would be reasonable to assume that the short wheel base is even worse. This to me means a bigger pendulum effect on the shorter cars

My idea would be to see if I can balance the car so that the bias is similar to the M03L. At this point it is not far wrong

Hope this gives you something to think about
Old 08-19-2009, 03:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldnwise
Fish .. two weeks back you're set-up advice was to just throw the mini on the track.

The next week you're publishing high tech weight distribution data.

My original statement was in reference to a M03. The M05 needs a bit more thought.

As for the high tech data .. the more information the more confused the other racers will get
Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DLS II
Mine isn't a Cooper-but it is a mini. WB is 225. Not quite done. I will have to cut out the lower front of the HPI Civic to fit. Don
He He... good to see some old FF01 parts flying round... still bashing my full size one, but this looks pretty cool.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey what is the better buy a spektrum 2.0 or 3.0
Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini Racer 95
The only real difference between these two radio's is the 2.0 is two channels, and the 3.0 is three channels. I believe, for the most part, the fatures are identical. For a mini you don't need a third channel, but in applications like rock crawlers a third channel is a must. I bought mine when they first came out, so I can't remmember if there is any further advatages of one over the other.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The DX3 has 4 memory slots, DX2 has only 2.. something to consider if you're running multiple chassis.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 3.0 also has exponential, very useful for Mini.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.