Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Jim,

That Miata looks like it has seen better days. Reminds me of my old Mini shell, that I wouldn't stop running. Others threatened to take the scissors to it.

Alas now long gone. It became to brittle and the shell was nearly all tape. Did nothing for the handling.

Later,

Calvin.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-dsc01751.jpg  
Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
I didn't think this would happen but RCmart came through with the goods in record time and at the busiest time.

This morning my Assetto Corse came home. With it I had ordered all the genuine Tamiya upgrades they had in stock on the site and thankfully it was all there, in a little bundle held together with elastic bands, inside the box. Little red labels on the sides of the kit box warned me these extra parts had been put inside. Outside, another two sets of M-grips made the bulk and cushioned the kit box along with a large double layer bubble wrap sheet all protected with an outer cardboard box.

Thank you very much for such service.

A set of TRF mini shocks bought separately off ebay is on the way to complete the build.

The bodyshell is probably the most amazing. I am used to Tamiya's high standards when it comes to realism but they have really outdone themselves with this one. The car comes with an extra lexan moulding of various parts to be used inside the shell, but most interesting is the rear diffuser which really looks the part. I can barely wait to build this little guy.
Rcmart is really good, and if they do mistake they always fix it!
Super service!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
That Miata looks like it has seen better days. Reminds me of my old Mini shell, that I wouldn't stop running. Others threatened to take the scissors to it.
Alas now long gone. It became to brittle and the shell was nearly all tape. Did nothing for the handling.
Just stock up on drywall mesh tape & Shoe Goo, and you're ready to battle.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Quick question.

Have any of you had any luck using the Speedway Pal 37's or 27's mini tyres and if so what insert were you using. The same question for the Pit Shimizu 30 slicks.

I have been experimenting with these lately as a front tyre on my MO3 and MO5 and found them to have so much front grip. The rear end I can not get to stay planted. I have changed springs, tyres inserts etc.

Just wondering if someone has a setup or idea that might be worth a try. I am running on asphalt. I have my car setup soft with red and and yellow springs, 40 wt oil and three hole piston. I did try harder springs but no dice. I also tried 5.5mm, 5mm, 4.1mm inserts in the tyres.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Try rear positive o chamber. The more negative the less grip on rear. It works on mine mo3.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Happy New Year 2010 from Manila!!! Here are some firecrackers outside my house to celebrate. The fireworks and firecrackers are in the middle of the street. Good luck to passing cars

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

Old 12-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default yo

Hey all, finaly gots me some oil shocks for my M03L... but horizon sent my LHS the regular cva mini shocks (I had asked for the super mini's) Anyway is there much difference between the two?? also what is a good base set-up for the shocks (oil weight, different holes, and springs which I still waiting for those to come in so just runnin the stock silvers for now) anything I should do that instructions don't tell me??? I also got some universals as well woo hoooo should be flyin real good soon, hopefully getin rid of the wheel chatter!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Default sweep tyres & inserts

Hi there
Ive bought some Sweep mini tyres & inserts.
The inserts dont seem to fill the tires,seems to be a big airgap
am I better off to stuff them with Tamiya foam inserts??
Old 12-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

What are the mini Shocks anyway, got a spare set of TC TRF shocks, what's the real difference between then and mini ones, can I fix it with a couple spacers under the piston?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

racerb and mcdogboy,

The Super mini cva's from Tamiya are shorter and the best for the mini. The regular cva's are to long and will not let you slam your car down for the correct ride height. As I haven't used these for years I can't really say to much but with the super mini cva's we used to use the 6mm spacer that comes with shocks under the piston and build from there. The springs used were the 53333 from Tamiya. The TRF shocks now come in standard size and Mini length. The mini length ones require no internal spacer as such. The normal TRF's require a spacer under the piston. Depending on how much droop you want to have will be dependant on how many shims you place under the piston.

For myself I use 3mm shims under normal TRF shocks on my MO5. This seems to work for my car and my style of driving.

If you want to know more then I suggest you follow this link and all will be explained and I don't have to type so much.

http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index....d=44&Itemid=60

A good read through that site should help.

Happy New Year to all my fellow mini racers

Kind Regards,

Calvin.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

Thank's mate, I believe I've trawled rc-mini fairly completely over time

Might have a play with these spare shocks anyway, guess I've gotta get off my arse and measure the difference in the rods, my 05 has the super minis anyway, but it was much easier to ask here
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

question, is there any difference in buying spring set 53333 and buying the individuals like 53630, 53631, & 53632?
Old 01-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

jcr,

They are different spring rates and also different lengths. Having them all gives you more tuning options. The Tamiya TRF mini shocks come with three pairs of springs the short TRF blue, Short Yellow and Red.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you think the adjustable front camber arms discussed in this thread will be out soon?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Default thanks

thanks Cal. I too have read rc-mini, and I tell every new mini owner to read before they build!!
the shocks I got are the cva mini shocks,(tam50519) I believe they will work because they do say you can run them on FWD vehicles and they do come with a long spring pair or short spring.... I think this might be why they ae a couple bux more than the super mini...
so is the kit oil fine to use or maybe should I start with something like 40wt?? also what holes should I use 2 or 3?? I guess I will have to try and figure out what spacers to use to get my car sittin where I need it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.