Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by caltek1
Low_E,

I don't think the Orion 3800 fits into the MO3 chassis. ...
You are correct, Caltek. I was mistaken, typed 3800 in stead of 3400.
The Orion 3400 Lipo is the biggest Orion Lipo that fits the M-03-chassis and is what I use.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kail
Thats all the story I can provide you guys.

Now, time for you guys to help me figure out something. How did my car become so bad after 1 night. It cannot track straight at all. I balanced my suspension with weighing scales and made sure they were balanced. Any possibilities you guys can help me think of? Thanks in advance.
Hey Leonard,

6th in that sort of company isn't too bad anyway. Just to be in the same race as those guys is worth the trip from Sing.

Weird problem though. Can't help thinking it might be the outdrive moving out and not sitting in the diff splines properly. It's a common problem, affects a lot of people and isn't easy to spot.
Often it happens because the Tamiya black o-rings deteriorate and break down. Thats why I always use silcone ones instead.
Or maybe your servos got a spline issue? I can't see that it's the suspension, that doesn't magically change (for the worse) overnight.

TG
Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Hey Leonard,

6th in that sort of company isn't too bad anyway. Just to be in the same race as those guys is worth the trip from Sing.

Weird problem though. Can't help thinking it might be the outdrive moving out and not sitting in the diff splines properly. It's a common problem, affects a lot of people and isn't easy to spot.
Often it happens because the Tamiya black o-rings deteriorate and break down. Thats why I always use silcone ones instead.
Or maybe your servos got a spline issue? I can't see that it's the suspension, that doesn't magically change (for the worse) overnight.

TG
What I did was actually change my diff to a slightly tighter one the next morning. The car handled very badly and I changed back to my original diff. haha... Maybe that hurt the balance? I dunno.

Anyway I am using those red sponges on the outdrives. Is that the source of the problem? Servos I dun think so as the car going some weird direction happens very consistantly at 2 parts of the track. Other places it is not that bad. That is why it is so weird.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What I did was actually change my diff to a slightly tighter one the next morning. The car handled very badly and I changed back to my original diff. haha... Maybe that hurt the balance? I dunno.

Anyway I am using those red sponges on the outdrives. Is that the source of the problem? Servos I dun think so as the car going some weird direction happens very consistantly at 2 parts of the track. Other places it is not that bad. That is why it is so weird.
I was using the servo saver that came with the kit and had that same problem, I changed to the heavy duty one and problem solved
Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

had similar problems this weekend on our local Tamiya-competition.
I was constantly within the three of for best drivers while qualifying.
First final (starting 3th) battle for first position ... and suddenly, last 30 seconds the car became crazy, coudn't keep in on the track.
I thought it was something as glitches but since I have a spektrum-system that was almost impossible.
I thought about quitting but the continued at slower pace and only lost three places.
After the final, I studied the car but couldn't find anything.
Second final: car drives the same way: crazy ... I just try to keep it on the track .. am lapped once by the top three drivers .. and then suddenly the car "is back". It drives as it did all morning ... and I was able to keep up the pace of the top guys easely.
Checked the car again and found nothing.
Last final: car still "back" and we battled for first position with three drivers ending all three within 0.5 second.
My car felt ace again, as it did all morning.
I still don't understand what happened.
Strange thing is that it suddenly changed during the race ... so I thought about something broken ... but could not find anything ... and then even stranger, the car "popping back in again" after about 1 minute in second final.

I'm glad I could finish my competition day with some great driving ... but it's very puzzling not to know what happened.
When acting crazy, the car sometimes steered off, and sometimes it was as it added a dot of full trottle when i was releasing the trigger in the corners. ??
SO it was on steering AND trottle that problesm occured.

About O-rings in my outdrives: I checked those and they were still fine.

I talked it through with some other drivers and they said it could have to do with the spektrum-reciever needing a spektrum-condensator.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sponges are ok, but they also compress after a while and lose their springiness.
And what happens is that the outdrive can move slightly (sometimes at random points, but more often at specific places when the sideways load is consistent) and you lose drive momentarily to one wheel.
I'm not saying that's whats wrong with your car, but it's something I always get people to check on.

Or maybe Tim did something sneaky to your car last time he was in Sing...
Old 02-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Zikai... Time to get a new car....
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ricky/C
Can someone please give me the metric sizes of all the bearings needed for the M03 chassis, thanks
M-03/M-04 = 5x11x4 (x12) 5x8x2.5 (x2)

M-03M/M-03R = 5x10x4 (x8) 5x11x4 (x4) 5x8x2.5 (x2)

It should be noted that some newer M-03 are supplied with the wheel carriers that use the smaller size bearing like the R and the M. Your best bet is to either check the instruction manual that came with the kit, or pop the bearing out and check them.

Jim
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Low_E
had similar problems this weekend on our local Tamiya-competition.
I was constantly within the three of for best drivers while qualifying.
First final (starting 3th) battle for first position ... and suddenly, last 30 seconds the car became crazy, coudn't keep in on the track.
I thought it was something as glitches but since I have a spektrum-system that was almost impossible.
I thought about quitting but the continued at slower pace and only lost three places.
After the final, I studied the car but couldn't find anything.
Second final: car drives the same way: crazy ... I just try to keep it on the track .. am lapped once by the top three drivers .. and then suddenly the car "is back". It drives as it did all morning ... and I was able to keep up the pace of the top guys easely.
Checked the car again and found nothing.
Last final: car still "back" and we battled for first position with three drivers ending all three within 0.5 second.
My car felt ace again, as it did all morning.
I still don't understand what happened.
Strange thing is that it suddenly changed during the race ... so I thought about something broken ... but could not find anything ... and then even stranger, the car "popping back in again" after about 1 minute in second final.

I'm glad I could finish my competition day with some great driving ... but it's very puzzling not to know what happened.
When acting crazy, the car sometimes steered off, and sometimes it was as it added a dot of full trottle when i was releasing the trigger in the corners. ??
SO it was on steering AND trottle that problesm occured.

About O-rings in my outdrives: I checked those and they were still fine.

I talked it through with some other drivers and they said it could have to do with the spektrum-reciever needing a spektrum-condensator.
Oh ya! I was using Spektrum system. Maybe I should check on that too. I did not have such problem when using KO 2.4 but KO 2.4 crashed and burned at TITC due to interference by 4PK.

Thanks for the input, I will go check it out!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ben.C
Zikai... Time to get a new car....
That car was a new car, I rebuilt a whole new car there.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

That car was a new car, I rebuilt a whole new car there.
any video from mini 2wd class, and what motor they are running? sports tune? it's awesome to run 10 minutes final
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Check the screws holding the rear arms together. We have seen that exact same problem caused by those screws coming loose or falling out entirely.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rccardr
Check the screws holding the rear arms together. We have seen that exact same problem caused by those screws coming loose or falling out entirely.
Gee! Maybe! I only used CA to glue them together. I will check them later!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i had loads of problems with my servo saver

it would track one way then the other

stuck a modified TRF one on it

fixed

roll on the 4HRS race on sunday
Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
i had loads of problems with my servo saver

it would track one way then the other

stuck a modified TRF one on it

fixed

roll on the 4HRS race on sunday
Tamiya #54120?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.