Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

eR1c- Cool car! Thanks for your insight as well on the other 1/12 4WD's including the Atom. GLWS on your HPI.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
3 Racing used to make one. I just used those from a Tamiya TC. I did have to use a 2mm spacer to drop the servo down a bit so it would clear the chassis. There was no measurable advantage to dropping the servo more than that-----tho that was a popular mod. The geometry worked better with the servo a bit higher.

Out of curiosity how accurate does it have to be???? Seems to me if you're not using a big Kimbrough servo saver, the inaccuracies in your steering can be traced to your servo saver rather than the servo mounts. Many of the Mini Mafia were using the plastic mounts on some of their cars. None of us used anything but a Kimbrough servo saver.

Another problem some people run into is spacing the servo down. This can lead to a less than solid mounting. There is absolutely no measurable advantage in doing this. The amount doing this will lower the CG is so minute, your time would be better spent currying the hairs in a gnats ass.
Thanks Granpa. I will check out the TC one. I do have a WR02 one on order which I am also hoping *might* work as well. It is a tad longer than the M03 one though, I think.

Honestly the Kimbrough vs Tamiya's heavy duty servo saver, they are equal to me. (My CR01 uses two of these heavy duty servo savers. If it can handle a crawler, it can most definitely handle tiny M-chassis wheels).

Anyway, I've tried both on my M03 with success. BUT, on occasion, the servo mounts move and it does not center the steering regardless of Kimbrough or Tamiya heavy duty. That is one of the issues I don't like on the M03 and would like to fix it completely.

I don't have such issue on my other list of cars in my sig after the heavy duty servo saver install. I bought like 12 of them when they were on sale. Some I have multiple cars of the same chassis.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

So By the way people are talking, M03 is the way to go
What was said about parts seperating it from other chassis, what do you mean? Are there only a few different parts that are not shared with cars still in production?
If this is true, does anyone know of parts that are different on the m03 and parts from others that can be put on it?
Thanks
James
Old 04-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Basically stuff like the arms, gears, are inter-changeable.

But there are model specific parts. There is a cross reference chart at tamiyausa that you can download to see which parts are common.

You can also download the assembly instructions manual as well.
The last few pages of the manual lists the bill of materials.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Tech Initiate

So we're is that compatible list? I've been looking around everywhere for it and I can't find it
Old 04-14-2015, 08:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

With the m03, the two part numbers provided (50792, 50793) cover all the unique parts. That would be the main chassis, front upper control arms, bumpers and front body mounts. All other vital parts (suspension, driveline, etc) are shared with the other minis. The 03 is different from the 05 in that it's much simpler in construction. Eg: No separate motor plate, no complex steering gear. Fewer hop ups to worry about. They're tough little buggers.

The hop ups that cross over would be axles, uprights and shocks. Differentials designed specifically for the 05/06, with the larger bearings will not fit. Oh, stick with the regular white gears. The black ones sometimes have interference issues.

Sak: if you want to buy super cheap, you'll need to look outside the U.S. The trick is finding cheap shipping. Try Banzai Hobby. Much better pricing and shipping than anyone in the U.S. or Hong Kong. I really like some U.S. suppliers (looking at you TQ) but when buying some items in bulk, you can save money buying elsewhere.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 04-14-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 AM
Tech Initiate

I tried looking around, I cant seem to find the m03 any where
I can find the m06 though. No one has talked much about this one, is it any good?
Also it is good to hear all the vital (Most common breakages) parts are shared.
Would a couple of turnigy 2250 mah lipos fit out of curiosity?
Old 04-15-2015, 12:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Edit

Last edited by monkeyracing; 04-15-2015 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Far too angry
Old 04-15-2015, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jamesd848
I tried looking around, I cant seem to find the m03 any where
I can find the m06 though. No one has talked much about this one, is it any good?
Also it is good to hear all the vital (Most common breakages) parts are shared.
Would a couple of turnigy 2250 mah lipos fit out of curiosity?
If you're looking for a basher, the M06 is not a good choice. It's fragile and a real PITA to get to run right. The reason so many of the guys with extensive experience steer you to the M03 just for street bashing is that it's a "no brainer" car. Any idiot should be able to get it to run decently. It's a rugged little beast and if you can find one, which should be easy to do, just buying a few parts that are exclusive to the M03, you should be able to run it for years. I believe Monkeyracing gave you the part #s.

I'm getting the feeling from your posts you basically want a RWD Mini. In that case go with the M06. You should be able to find any one of those cheap. I had a NIB M06 that I couldn't give away for free. I finally found some sucker to take it off my hands, but had to give it away for free. I was so happy to get rid of it cause it was taking up valuable shelf space in my shop. I saw that damned car bring some of the best Mini racers I know, to swear at it------which i why I never built the one I bought when it first came out.

If you're planning on doing some racing, go with a v2. That kit alone will set you back $200 with sales tax and shipping. Then you'll want a few upgrades that will set you back anther $150 to 200. You'll have to decide what you really are looking for.

You set the parameters up with your original post and you've received the universal response of the M03 from experienced Mini racers. So, what's the problem and why are we still talking about he M06 which couldn't be anything but trouble for someone with your stated desires.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
. . . . the M06 is not a good choice. It's fragile and a real PITA to get to run right. . .
What kind of track do you guys run on that gives the M06s so much trouble? Just curious.

The M06 has been "the Mini to have" on the carpet here in Omaha for a long time now.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi, new poster here.

Some weeks ago, I replaced my ancient m02 (donīt laugh, I found it still competitive for chasing m05s ans m06s) with an ABC Gambado/Grid.

Is there a thread about this car anywhrere on the board? I tried the boardīs search function but couldnīt get any result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Iīm from Germany and after sarching the forums there it seems Iīm the only ABC Gambado/Grid racer in the country...
Old 04-15-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Okay sorry about the M06 thing, its just I couldnt find the m03 anywhere too much
I dont really wanna spend 350+ on a basher,
Old 04-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kwkride
What kind of track do you guys run on that gives the M06s so much trouble? Just curious.

The M06 has been "the Mini to have" on the carpet here in Omaha for a long time now.
I run at the Tamiya USA track, home for the Mini Mafia who have had 7 or 8 of the Mini Nats
Champions in the last 10 or so years. As for me, I won the B main a few years ago and qualified in the Amain the last time I ran the TCS Nats. Not among the fastest, but certainly not "slow" even though I'm in my late 70's. The conditions there are much closer to what Jamesd848 would encounter than a carpet track. You may have missed the original post in which he inquired about a street basher. Not one of the guys there have been able to get the M06 o run competitively even with a ton of upgrades. The car has proven to be a handful with a lot of tiny parts that bend or break. Not the car for a newbie Mini person, in my opinion.

At our local carpet track,TQ Racing, I've heard that it has had a little success. I've been there once and wish I could go more often, but rush hour traffic in Southern Calif. makes that an ordeal these old bones can do without. Even there, Mark Brown is fastest with his M03. They have had a couple of TCS Regional events there, but I don't believe the M06 ever made the A main at those events.

Sorry, just not a big fan of the M06. I know Whippler(sp?) can make it go, but let's face it, he's the exception.

Last edited by Granpa; 04-15-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jamesd848
Okay sorry about the M06 thing, its just I couldnt find the m03 anywhere too much
I dont really wanna spend 350+ on a basher,
Try a want ad here on rctech or ebay. I'm sure you'll find one
Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Tech Initiate

So would this one work
It's the only new m03 in cam find
What's the differences between the M03 and M03L?
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Cooper-20...rds=tamiya+m03

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.