Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbonium
yes, and yes... the wheels fit for sure, and i have interchanged the tires before, as well....
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default ball diff

Would anyone know this one? Does it matter which side the gear on the ball diff is positioned in the gear box? I seem to be hooking & roll only when I turn right and I thought maybe this could be a factor. Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Tech Initiate

well I tested my Integy m-03 high speed gear set. Yes it does have higher top end speed. it comes with all gears required and both gears for either the geared diff or a ball diff. the ball diff grear is really skinny. cuts down alot of friction. I already took the gears out though due to the fact that my motor realy didn't have enough kick for these gears. It got really hot so hot in fact that it would burn me if I touched it. I think these gears are better suited for a smaller pinion and a hotter motor. Right now I am just running a old trinity stock motor. I still think with the hotter gears the m-03 was still a bit slower than the m-01 but can't confirm for sure until I get my new reciever and have a drag race.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gpwpat
well I tested my Integy m-03 high speed gear set. Yes it does have higher top end speed. it comes with all gears required and both gears for either the geared diff or a ball diff. the ball diff grear is really skinny. cuts down alot of friction. I already took the gears out though due to the fact that my motor realy didn't have enough kick for these gears. It got really hot so hot in fact that it would burn me if I touched it. I think these gears are better suited for a smaller pinion and a hotter motor. Right now I am just running a old trinity stock motor. I still think with the hotter gears the m-03 was still a bit slower than the m-01 but can't confirm for sure until I get my new reciever and have a drag race.
The gears or more designed for silvercan motors.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CSeils
Would anyone know this one? Does it matter which side the gear on the ball diff is positioned in the gear box? I seem to be hooking & roll only when I turn right and I thought maybe this could be a factor. Any suggestions?
I don't think it makes a difference.
Check to make sure that the car turns the same size circle left to right.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I did, it does steer the same. I even dialed out some of the steering on the right and it still rolls only when I turn hard right. This is not the case when I turn hard left though.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Not sure what to tell you.
Are your shocks built exactly the same?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
Turbo yes there is an extender not sure I cannot remember the parts tree that it comes on though.

Aries there you could try the Boxster, Mercedes SLK and I think there was 1 other. They should all fit the 04L Originally they were all on the M02. Another option is to get the long arm set for the TB01 and you can run the Porsche GT1 body from a few years back. IT gets to be a handful with higher HP motors.

Also for shocks look for a set of the plastic shocks they are not the ultimate, but built with care they can perform better than a badly built set of aluminium shocks.
Thanks for the tips! If I get the long arm set for the TB01, will this allow me to use standard 190mm bodies or is the chassis still too short?

As for shocks, I just got a hold of some spare parts for my TC3 and included in the lot were some associated threaded shock bodies that I plan on rebuilding. Will these fit the M04L or will they be too long? What spring/oil combination do you suggest? Will stiffer springs in the front with 40wt oil all around suffice or should I use lighter oil in the front as well? Thanks!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yep, just rebuilt all of them a week ago. Weird isn't it.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On the shocks it depends on the bodies. I ran the regular alum bodies and it did not leave a whole lot of room for travel when at 4-5mm ride height. Alot of people use the Tamiya super-mini plastic shock to give more travel. For spring and oil it depends on your surface I prefer 2 hole and 40wt with the "neon" blue old rate spring depending on grip. Oh and sorry I put the wrong LA kit it is for the TL01 not the TB. I think the 2 are very similar though.

For bodies you will be able to use any of the Short Wheel Base bodies Tamiya produced. Corolla Rally car, Porsche GT1, Renault, VW GTI mk2 (if you can find one). The later body was the long WB. there are 1 or 2 more but I cannot think of them off the top of my head.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Aries sounds simple but check the bead on your tires. If it has even a small area that has come unglued then it will show up as a traction roll like you are having. Also try limiting your rear shock length(along with front) start with 3 o-rings internally.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

does it matter if I have plastic spacers or O-rings?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, you can use either, as long as they have the same length of spacing in the end. O-rings are generally all the same size and readily available so there's no confusion.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Steering servo torque

Since the mini use a direct link between the servo and the steering how much torque is required?

Any preferences of steering servo's?

Is a high speed servo a must in a mini for racing or will this make the car even twitchier?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2005, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03
Since the mini use a direct link between the servo and the steering how much torque is required?

Any preferences of steering servo's?

Is a high speed servo a must in a mini for racing or will this make the car even twitchier?

Thanks
Standard servo will do just fine, the high speed servo is a overkill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.