Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Will Manta Ray ball diff fit on M03? Or I must use the one for TA03???

Who makes that quick release battery holder? Tamiya? Parts #53346?. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mike Schumacher
Will Manta Ray ball diff fit on M03? Or I must use the one for TA03???

Who makes that quick release battery holder? Tamiya? Parts #53346?. Thanks.
Yes the Manta Ray ball diff will fit.

Yes that should be the quick release part number
Old 05-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

So Manta Ray and TA03 ball diff are identical? Can anyone confirm that? I see TA03 ball diff comes with one or two extra gears...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

So Manta Ray and TA03 ball diff are identical? Can anyone confirm that? I see TA03 ball diff comes with one or two extra gears...
They are not identical but when built both will fit into an M03 series chassis. The extra gears are for other cars (TA03) Many Tamiya hop ups are made to fit multiple car models.

If you go to here you'll see both are listed as hop ups.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info. Is ball diff good for indoor carpet racing?

HPI aero dish and HPI 5 star wheels, which one is lighter or better?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info. Is ball diff good for indoor carpet racing?

HPI aero dish and HPI 5 star wheels, which one is lighter or better?
Ball diff is good for indoor carpet. Tighten it a little bit more than what the instruction say. I've use it on carpet. A gear diff will work well also if you shim it tighter. Either way you're trying to reduce the wheel spin especially coming off a corner.

Sorry I don't know about the weight of the HPI wheels. I've only used the dish ones but never weight them.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Umm I would have thought that if you're worried about the weight of wheels then you're possibly taking it all too seriously!

In a Mini weight isnt a factor. They usually work better if they're heavy!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

I'm not that serious but someone told me Tamiya mini wheels are little bit heavier than HPI ones and they are not durable as HPI wheels so I just want to see which one is better if down to 2 choices (HPI aero and 5-star wheels).
Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rotary Racer
Hello again mini people. Got a chance to race the new mini this weekend and everything was spot on!! . But I have a tire question. I am using the Tamiya 60D racing slicks. The car grips well and handles great but it seems to go through the front tires super fast.

After about 3 packs (that was during practice) the front tires got a nice ripple on the inside. So I rotated those to the rear and brought the rears (that still looked new at that point) to the front. After the 2nd qualifier just before the main I noticed the fronts again not only had the same ripple on the inside, but there was a small hole inside the ripple (just one hole). So again I rotated the tires to put the “holy” back on the rear and ran my main race.

Is this the case with the mini that it munches through a set of tires during one race day? I put 3 practice packs and 3 race packs (2 qualifiers and a main) for a total of 6 packs. So is 6 packs the norm for a set of tires?

Thanks for all your help.
If you don't like the tire wear your getting Dana,you might as well sell your car now with your vendetta.Thats Mini with Tamiya tires.Of all people here,I know the routine as well as anybody with these tires.I think I told you that already.Hard in the head I see!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ultimate mini?

Well I was lucky enough to score a new monster-mini body off of ebay. I keep looking at the new Express II pro chassis. I'm sure lots of future $ parts will be available to trick the car out. I wouldn't mind having a radical carpet 4WD monster mini ever since I saw the mini.net site. Not to race really, just an outrageous mini to fly around the track and to keep as a show car.

So that got me thinking if the 1/12th assassin would be a higher quality car or if the Express would be the better canvas for the future. While NOTHING pretty is made for any Corally car, one can still replace the shocks,screws, etc, to dress it up. As an RDX owner, I know it's a top quality starting point. What I wish for is a 415MSXX shortened chassis. You think it would look too weird to see the tires sticking out 1/4" each side?

Then trying to think outside the box, perhaps a light 1/12 pan car with 6V 3200 lipo/ mod motor would be the "ulitimate" package?

Interested in your opinions gentlemen.

I'm leaning 80% towards the 4WD touring style chassis. They are so amazing to look at.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racenut123
If you don't like the tire wear your getting Dana,you might as well sell your car now with your vendetta.Thats Mini with Tamiya tires.Of all people here,I know the routine as well as anybody with these tires.I think I told you that already.Hard in the head I see!
You're mean
Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
They are not identical but when built both will fit into an M03 series chassis. The extra gears are for other cars (TA03) Many Tamiya hop ups are made to fit multiple car models.

If you go to here you'll see both are listed as hop ups.
you can also use the one way diff off the ta03f pro and david jun edition. it's night and day difference.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by catcars
Interested in your opinions gentlemen.

I'm leaning 80% towards the 4WD touring style chassis. They are so amazing to look at.
Well...you need to consider one thing for a start. The X-Ray, Yokomo and Corally need Touring Car size wheels so that limits your bodyshell choice if you pick one of them.
The Roadrunner Pro looks like it comes with all the bling included and spares will be plentiful (and cheap too) so I'd lean toward that to be honest.

Originally Posted by MrJames
you can also use the one way diff off the ta03f pro and david jun edition. it's night and day difference.
Umm yeah it sure is... You end up with no brakes!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

how to shim the gear diff of m03?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default shimit

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
how to shim the gear diff of m03?
Use 3 washers instead of the 2 supplied. Tighten 3 screws evenly and to your liking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.