Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

So the kit appears to come with plastic (though oil-filled) shocks, no tires and no body?

Scottrik
Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

I ordered from Rainbow 10 in Japan, cost a bit more than champ, but got to australia very fast! My other mates has arrived, and Tony Grays is in the country but hasn't cleared customs, they both ordered from Champ.

I haven't seen the kit myself yet, I'm at work for another 2 hours

I got my wife to take the pics

Not sure if it has tires, can't see them in the photo, but that doesn't mean they're not hiding behind the chassis ... definitely no body.

And the chrome chassis isn't chrome chrome, it's black chrome ... if that makes any sense
Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scottrik
So the kit appears to come with plastic (though oil-filled) shocks, no tires and no body?

Scottrik
We could see from the early pics that the shocks would be plastic unless they figured out how to make a transparent aluminum. Most of Tamiya's R-type stuff and high end racers don't come with bodies or tires so that wouldn't be unexpected.

Mine should be here Tuesday!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Tim K,
You finish building it yet? It's been almost an hour!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default m03r

yes it has tires. ur basic m03 kit types.. disappointing at least throw in the super grips!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sim600
Tim K,
You finish building it yet? It's been almost an hour!
Look, I know it's no excuse but ... I'm still at work, the M03R is at home ... it should be finished in about 8 hours time

Next time I should get it delivered to work, then I can build it at lunchtime
Old 04-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Core Creations and muahdib4:

Thanks for the carpet set-ups.......I'll be passing sedans sedans in no time...

On the subject of the stock esc: Can the two wire lead be spliced into the esc wire to get power? Anyone know if it has or can be done? Sure seems like it could be done.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim K
Look, I know it's no excuse but ... I'm still at work, the M03R is at home ... it should be finished in about 8 hours time

Next time I should get it delivered to work, then I can build it at lunchtime
I'm actually Tims boss at work too....you reckon I could have let him go home at lunchtime to build it hey? Naaah....
Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

kindly post the pics here after u hv finished building it

cheers....
Old 04-02-2007, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

So how do I lower my Mini? It sits at 6mm and needs to be about 3.5-4mm. I have the TRF shocks with 4 o-rings internal.
Also the car seems loose, should the front sway bar be installed?
I race on a sealed parking lot if that helps.
Should I use a traction compound on the tires? If so, what type?

Last edited by Three; 04-02-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tony gray
I'm actually Tims boss at work too....you reckon I could have let him go home at lunchtime to build it hey? Naaah....
Hey Boss, it's finished! I would have been faster but there were some pancakes with my name on them

Celebratory latte's at 6am tomorrow???

The only build tips I can offer ... have a vacuum cleaner on hand cos when you're cutting the chrome parts off the tree ... the chrome flakes go everywhere!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-m03r-1.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-m03r-2.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-m03r-3.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-m03r-4.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-m03r-5.jpg  

Old 04-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

And a few more pics, the chrome is like a PS-31 smoke kind of chrome ... interesting
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-m03r-6.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-m03r-7.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-m03r-8.jpg  
Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tim K
And a few more pics, the chrome is like a PS-31 smoke kind of chrome ... interesting
a couple of Questions.

Did that style uni come with the kit? or did you put it in?
I think I heard it came with a full set of springs, is that true?
does the front and rear have adjustible camber?
What tires come in the kit?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Three
So how do I lower my Mini? It sits at 6mm and needs to be about 3.5-4mm. I have the TRF shocks with 4 o-rings internal.
Also the car seems loose, should the front sway bar be installed?
I race on a sealed parking lot if that helps.
Should I use a traction compound on the tires? If so, what type?
What springs are you using? Sounds like they might be to tall. 4 internal o-rings seems like a lot to me. I use 3 in the front and 2 in the rear for a little more droop adjustment. With shorter springs like the Tamiya short-tuned springs (not the ones in the set, but the ones you buy in pairs) you'll find that the car will settle down on the height of the springs. You can also use the 1mm down type spring retainers too. The sway bars...I would say they're nice to run in the front (silver if you do) but not "necessary". Not sure what you mean by loose but that could also be a spring and shock problem as well. Tranction compound will depend largely on tires. I haven't run much outside with mine so not really sure there. I did use it when I was running the 'kit' tires but didn't need it at all running S-grips up-front and M-grips in the rear. I haven't used the Type-A's yet...until they get here along with my M03R.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
a couple of Questions.

Did that style uni come with the kit? or did you put it in?
I think I heard it came with a full set of springs, is that true?
does the front and rear have adjustible camber?
What tires come in the kit?
I had a new set of uni's in the draw, so I put them on, the kit comes with dogbones as usual
It comes with 6 short white springs (2 have blue dots, 2 yellow and 2 red). They're just painted white to stop people copying your setup

The rear has adjustable camber, but to me it looks like it is exactly the same length as the standard rear link. There is a 0.5mm spacer between the 2 ends on the link, so if you take the 0.5 spacer out, you've got 0.5 adjustment to give you negative camber which you want ... plenty of adjustment for positive camber which you don't want

Front has the same upper links as usual - non adjustable.

Kit tyres are just like the normal radial kit tires with every other kit. No motor either, but you do get a pinion. You get a complete set of the M03M "F Parts" tree in chrome ... and a tub of AW grease to put in the gear diff

Also the new blue alloy knuckles don't use king pins, instead they use a tophat style spacer top and bottom with a standard 3x10mm threaded screw, so at least if the screw falls out it will be easy to find a replacement in your pitbox. And there are now 3 holes for steering linkage adjustment.

The 1.5 degree rear toe in blocks are pretty funky, they have 2 holes for adjustment at the top, and at the bottom they have a threaded hole so you can use a grub screw with a TL01 stainless suspension shaft set and not worry about the clips.

There are (non-blue) turnbuckles for the steering linkage, and blue alloy ball studs at each end. All of the 3x10 self tapping screws aren't stainless, they're that black chrome color finish ... but apart from all of that, the kit is pretty much the same as normal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.