Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:55 AM
DKB
Tech Adept

Default MINI VS WRX

Hey crew first things first Iam new to R/C so my opinion doen't count for much. Now thats done I raced R/C for the first time two weeks ago and loved it. You guessed it I raced Mini's lots of fun. I have since purchased and off road electric (more suited to my area)

One simple question thats been buggen me heaps "WHY MINI'S" man of all the cool body shapes to put on a chassie. Ive asked around and seems to be no other bodys for this chassie other than mini's or the swift I think a WRX would have been cool. No disrespect intended it just has me really confused how they became popular. Yes Iam awear they are fun to drive(so r all r/c's) but a cooler body wouldn't go astray surely.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DKB
Hey crew first things first Iam new to R/C so my opinion doen't count for much. Now thats done I raced R/C for the first time two weeks ago and loved it. You guessed it I raced Mini's lots of fun. I have since purchased and off road electric (more suited to my area)

One simple question thats been buggen me heaps "WHY MINI'S" man of all the cool body shapes to put on a chassie. Ive asked around and seems to be no other bodys for this chassie other than mini's or the swift I think a WRX would have been cool. No disrespect intended it just has me really confused how they became popular. Yes Iam awear they are fun to drive(so r all r/c's) but a cooler body wouldn't go astray surely.
It probably has to do with the popularity of the Mini back in the '60s. The Mini's raced EVERYTHING including the 24hrs of LeMans (and still race today). For a small quirky car they have quite the racing pedigree and a HUGE following all over the world and that translated easily into a fun racing R/C car.

There are plenty of bodies for the Minis, everything from a Worm, to a Cube, to the Honda Fit to Subaru 360's...etc..etc... Some of the makers of these other bodies are ABC Hobby, Northcraft and Chevron Models. Check out Tony's site www.rc-mini.net for more information regarding what bodies fit. It's a wealth of information.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:21 AM
DKB
Tech Adept

Well that explains a bit.
Have to say regardless the Mini body shape just doesn't do it for me, how ever as an r/c chassie heaps of fun good to drive and tough little buggers.

I will check out that site and pass it on to a few mates that are looking to buy one as they were looking to go the mini but were thinking a differant body.

Yes the class is very popular here everyone has a mini and another car in their prefered class it seems to be the socail event here.

Have to say again I had heaps of fun.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DKB
Well that explains a bit.
Have to say regardless the Mini body shape just doesn't do it for me, how ever as an r/c chassie heaps of fun good to drive and tough little buggers.

I will check out that site and pass it on to a few mates that are looking to buy one as they were looking to go the mini but were thinking a differant body.

Yes the class is very popular here everyone has a mini and another car in their prefered class it seems to be the socail event here.

Have to say again I had heaps of fun.
Great to hear you're enjoying it. I put Touring Cars on hold for a while because I enjoy Mini racing so much myself. By the middle of summer, I'll have my TA05 running though so I can race 2 classes and maximize my racing weekends but Mini will always be my main draw for racing. I only wish Mini's were as popular here in the States as it is in Australia and Japan. I'd still love to race Mini Rally but I don't think that'd fly here locally.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Do you think by putting a spur gear from a ta03 will increase the speed of the m03? I count the teeths of spur of m03 the spur is 37 and the ta03 spur teeths are 49... what do you think?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
Do you think by putting a spur gear from a ta03 will increase the speed of the m03? I count the teeths of spur of m03 the spur is 37 and the ta03 spur teeths are 49... what do you think?
I believe (I could be wrong) but I think that would slow it down...not to mention that it wouldn't be legal in most if not all forms of Mini racing. Not to mention since the Spur would be larger, you'd have to drill more holes to mount the motor so that the pinion would mesh and even then I don't know if it'd fit...I've never tried it.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Not sure about fit or anything else, but typically increasing teeth on the spur would increase acceleration/decrease top end. Substantially with what you're proposing, because you're adding a third again more teeth. Even if it would fit that's kinda fine-tuning with a sledge hammer.

Scottrik
Old 04-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by muahdib4
I believe (I could be wrong) but I think that would slow it down...not to mention that it wouldn't be legal in most if not all forms of Mini racing. Not to mention since the Spur would be larger, you'd have to drill more holes to mount the motor so that the pinion would mesh and even then I don't know if it'd fit...I've never tried it.
oh well but how about the speed tune gear set? do i have to drill holes so get it work?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:54 AM
DKB
Tech Adept

I actually don't have a mini sorry if thats the impression I gave, how ever my freind from another socail avenue is the presedent of the local r/c on road club and he has managed to hook us all into r/c racing. Minis were what we were loned to race with on the invite day and heaps of crew race them.
I actualy perchased an off road electric truck. I was seriously thinken about the mini and all the others are as well so I will pass on all this info for them.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
oh well but how about the speed tune gear set? do i have to drill holes so get it work?
Once again, no idea there. Since it isn't legal for racing I've never tried it. If you've got the parts laying around then give it a shot and see. If you're thinking of buying the parts...then I'd wait and see if someone else has done it, unless you really want to just play with it.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 AM
DKB
Tech Adept

Wow lots of crew on this forum at the moment
Old 04-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DKB
I actually don't have a mini sorry if thats the impression I gave, how ever my freind from another socail avenue is the presedent of the local r/c on road club and he has managed to hook us all into r/c racing. Minis were what we were loned to race with on the invite day and heaps of crew race them.
I actualy perchased an off road electric truck. I was seriously thinken about the mini and all the others are as well so I will pass on all this info for them.
Not a problem, Mini's are cheap and fun so when/if you decide to get one, this forum is always here for help and setups and such.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

thanks. I will not get speed tune gears coz the rules here are very strict. All parts should be legal.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:14 AM
DKB
Tech Adept

Cool will give out this address to all the potential mini purchasers in our seen.

Two clubs in locality on road and off road half do both as races r staggard 1 week on road next week off road so if wife lets me I will all so get a Mini see yas then.

ta crew
out
Old 04-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
...Differential: Gear Diff works great on Carpet. Shim it with 4xMA9, that's the large washer in the kit...put 2 on EACH side of the diff and tighten it down...
What is the part number of the bag that has the MA9 shims in it please? I can't find it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.