Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Yeah, I have the older VR6 model. Not the updated version...I may have to bust that baby out this summer.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
its just a club race. anybody tried running spool in m03m? what is the effect?
Some do tighten the diff to that extent (or make it barely turnable, just enough to get some "diff action" and make it TCS legal.. ), and I think it does pretty well.. the initial turn-in does suffer a bit since the inner wheel won't turn slower than the outer, but acceleration out of the turn is what makes it great, as no amount of wheel-lift will rob you of power.

I think it takes a little adjustment in driving style to get your steering back, but it can't hurt to try..
Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Tony,
I know this is really a Tamiya Mini thread but I had to ask. Do you guys have any pics of the Corally Mini Assassin with a body on it? Are the body posts long enough to fit a standard Mini Cooper body or would I need to look at a different body for it. I saw the list of bodies on your site and many are listed as fitting the 4wd minis but I'm still old school and just wanted to see if there were any problems with the classic Mini on the mini assassin.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

SPICE for mini chassis molded insert & wheel
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-moldinner-mini4.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-mini5-071.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-mini6-071.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-minid-071.jpg  
Old 03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Tony,
I know this is really a Tamiya Mini thread but I had to ask. Do you guys have any pics of the Corally Mini Assassin with a body on it? Are the body posts long enough to fit a standard Mini Cooper body or would I need to look at a different body for it. I saw the list of bodies on your site and many are listed as fitting the 4wd minis but I'm still old school and just wanted to see if there were any problems with the classic Mini on the mini assassin.
I'll try it tonight but the BIG problem you'll have is that the Mini Assassin uses touring car size wheels and mini size ones wont fit.... So I think that'll be more an issue than anything else.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Some do tighten the diff to that extent (or make it barely turnable, just enough to get some "diff action" and make it TCS legal.. ), and I think it does pretty well.. the initial turn-in does suffer a bit since the inner wheel won't turn slower than the outer, but acceleration out of the turn is what makes it great, as no amount of wheel-lift will rob you of power.

I think it takes a little adjustment in driving style to get your steering back, but it can't hurt to try..
so if i put a heavy diff oil it will lessen the grinding noise? and when turning will the wheel spin from both side will be about just the same?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

muahdib4

The body posts on the Mini Assassin are long enough in the rear to reach the mini copper body. The problems are the front posts. They are located on the front bumper which makes them come through by the headlight area. The front bumper is also too big.

If you use the hpi body you could possibly use the reg tc rubber tires ~63-64mm dia. If you use foams you can true them down to ~58-60mm dia. and the tires will fit.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Yay, now I dont have to try it myself tonight.....
Old 03-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks a lot guys..this is why Minis rule..not just the cars...also the people.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
SPICE for mini chassis molded insert & wheel
The Spice products seem good quality... the wheels are nice looking and strong.

Not sure about the inserts though ... they really fill out the tire, making the tire seem rock hard, I haven't used my inserts yet, I'm worried that they will be too hard and make the tires slide too much ... and that's just the soft ones!

The new Ride inserts seem better, don't fill out the tire so much - they leave more of an air gap ... still haven't tested them yet.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

OK, some pics on the Mini shell onto Mini Assassin question..

As you can see, the front mounts are a long way forward (hitting on the front of the shell actually) and wouldnt work. You could however use the rear ones and mount them on the front shock tower and that would work.

Which is good because the rear ones in the standard spot are also too far rearward and hit the rear window. But...if you used the front mounts here instead and bolted them directly to the upper chassis plate between the motor and the diff I think they'd be just about perfect too!

The wheel/tyre situation? Well thats one for you to work out. I tried the mini wheels again but they hit on the lower wishbone.

Last edited by tony gray; 08-06-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tim K

Not sure about the inserts though ... they really fill out the tire, making the tire seem rock hard, I haven't used my inserts yet, I'm worried that they will be too hard and make the tires slide too much ... and that's just the soft ones!

The new Ride inserts seem better, don't fill out the tire so much - they leave more of an air gap ... still haven't tested them yet.
also buy soft insert !
Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tim K

Ya our lhs just got the rims and inserts this week. they got the 5.5mm inserts and even the soft ones fill out the tire pretty good. Our track is high grip asphalt and we get alot of oversteer. So im thinking of using the inserts on the rear and some other thinner softer foam insert up front.

Id like to open up some discussion on over/understeer on the minis on all three lengths. short med and long.

Our track is high grip so we get alot of oversteer such that having the same inserts all round is difficult. I've used my own inserts cut from beer sleeves made out of neoprene. There are about 3mm in thickness and work great up front to create a bit of understeer. But the insert does have a sort of nylon based cover on it which i think might be slipping within the tire well.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Tech Champion

TAMIYA M-03R
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-tamiya_49417.jpg  
Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

Another addition to rc-mini. A V8 Supercar (Aussie Full size Touring Car) inspired Vodafone Swift in Chrome and Flouro Orange.

Go here to see it.

Last edited by tony gray; 03-20-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.