Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
If you're running stock parts, then get some alloy c hubs. The ones in that kit won't fit stock applications.
Yes most of mine is stock with the exception of steering rack/slider and shocks. Knew one of these days I'd have to look for a upgrade.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default tires for carpet>>> need help!

howdy folks,

I'm interested in using a m06 or goose for an upcoming indoor carpet race.

I live in the tropics but I suspect the hall is air conditioned so temperatures should be around 24-26 degrees celsius. Carpet is typical event or mall roadshow type (not crc carpet).

I've raced in Tamiya's TAC type races where M-grip has the highest grip for racing (type A dont even come close). but i traction roll a lot and cannot drive as aggressively as i want to.

The upcoming race is open rubber tires on the same carpet. I was thinking of using 55mm diameter tires to mitigate the traction rolling... anyone has any suggestions what i can use? sweep? ride? shimitzu? tamiya (oh no!)? i'm open to suggestions!

thanks for the input!

-Alexander
Old 09-10-2017, 01:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The M06 works very well with tires. Soft rear and medium/hard fronts work best. I have Sweep 25 rear and 33 fronts. If you want to run 60mm tires, you can run S Grips all around, but the fronts will need glued side walls and it would be a good idea to sand the sharp corners off the tires.

My current setup for black CRC carpet is M Grips at the front with glued sidewalls and well worn in (3-4 years old!) S Grips at the rear.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default thanks for that!

howdy Monkeyracing!

thanks for the tips. I'll try to look up the sweep tires. Do you use pre-glues or do you assemble them yourself? cause sweep has 3 types of inserts for mini tires?

front: 33 with what inserts?

rear: 25 with what inserts?

I need a tire setup that doesn't traction roll as easily and yet has enuff grip for zippiness.

I'd love to use m-grips all round which gives super good grip but it tends to traction roll due to the height.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Medium/hard inserts work well. I'm stuck with soft inserts on my current set, but they're still better than Tamiya tires. I bought pre-glued tired. It's just easier.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default S!

The doctor is in.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-img_0854.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-img_0855.jpg  
KA2AEV likes this.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
The doctor is in.
Oh my word what has you done!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I need to find a cheap/used 1" vertical belt sander. Dudes with wonky eyesight can't cut straight lines.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It looks awesome! Will you send it to me? [email protected]
Thanks very much!

Originally Posted by mcmattila
I designed the sticker sheet myself with Photoshop and had it printed out in a local advertising shop. If you want, I can share the sticker document. You just have to figure out where to print it.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gabc
It looks awesome! Will you send it to me?
Thanks very much!
In future you might want to use the private message function to share contact details. Unless you like spam bots scraping your emails
Old 09-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Kinda funny the way the spare parts are apparently handled for these things. I was looking for body posts, since I was thinking of eventually having two different bodies for my future M-chassis... and said bodies, the HPI Porsche and Hobbyking Mini Cooper, obviously have different rear post heigh requirements. Therefore so as not to ruin the look of the Porsche with overly high body posts, it needs its own body posts. And that lead me to discover that to get the body posts apparently you need to get the entire "C" bag which comes with a lot of other parts? Luckily it's not expensive, but compared to all the other cars and how spare parts are for them, this came as quite the surprise, you could say.

But speaking of spare parts - what would be common ones to have one hand for racing for the M-05 specifically? I'm currently semi-decided on the M-05 V2 R, so if I get that I don't really need any hop-ups, but trying googling about spare parts just tends to lead to topics about hop-ups.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

So after alot of considering. The Chub/knuckle and uprights upgrade going with 3racing. And 1 degree rear uprights and eventually I should get that diff from 3racing but dislike opening chassis to tune a diff so what are you running as diff oil 1m 1.5m weight stuff?
Old 09-15-2017, 01:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tvih
But speaking of spare parts - what would be common ones to have one hand for racing for the M-05 specifically? I'm currently semi-decided on the M-05 V2 R, so if I get that I don't really need any hop-ups, but trying googling about spare parts just tends to lead to topics about hop-ups.
As far as common breakages go I suppose it depends on how good a driver you are, as a racer you will probably go through gear sets more than anything else (I would normally have 3-4 spare 54277 in my pit box), as a basher it'll be the F parts bag, suspension, that you need to keep handy (I prefer the M05Ra versions 51425 rather than the standard 51393 but you can mix the C hubs and hubs to play around with front track width as another tuning option soone or two packs of each is handy). Other than that the M05 is a good strong chassis.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by foampervert
howdy folks,

I'm interested in using a m06 or goose for an upcoming indoor carpet race.

I live in the tropics but I suspect the hall is air conditioned so temperatures should be around 24-26 degrees celsius. Carpet is typical event or mall roadshow type (not crc carpet).

I've raced in Tamiya's TAC type races where M-grip has the highest grip for racing (type A dont even come close). but i traction roll a lot and cannot drive as aggressively as i want to.

The upcoming race is open rubber tires on the same carpet. I was thinking of using 55mm diameter tires to mitigate the traction rolling... anyone has any suggestions what i can use? sweep? ride? shimitzu? tamiya (oh no!)? i'm open to suggestions!

thanks for the input!

-Alexander
For non TCS carpet races.. I recommend Shimizu 55 inner mesh series for M06, with sweep hard insert. I run 36 in front with 30 in the rear.

Last edited by Raman; 09-15-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
As far as common breakages go I suppose it depends on how good a driver you are, as a racer you will probably go through gear sets more than anything else (I would normally have 3-4 spare 54277 in my pit box), as a basher it'll be the F parts bag, suspension, that you need to keep handy (I prefer the M05Ra versions 51425 rather than the standard 51393 but you can mix the C hubs and hubs to play around with front track width as another tuning option soone or two packs of each is handy). Other than that the M05 is a good strong chassis.
For onroad driving I'm a complete noob, never driven an onroad car for even a centimeter! I'll do track driving and racing though, not bashing. I probably won't be driving excessive amounts with it as offroad is still my main focus, and as for onroad if all goes as planned I'll also have a Turnigy TD10-based car to zip around with.

The R version seems to come with 51425 as default anyway so makes sense to get that for a spare. Luckily it's a cheap bag so no problem to get it. As for the gearset, since 54277 which is also standard with the R version, do they really break/wear out so quickly despite being "reinforced" versions? Still, not a bad idea to grab at least one spare set I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.