Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 09-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I admit, I was visualizing all the geometry and numbers in my noggin, but it got painful. My brain told me to go shopping instead. Ended up getting ice cream. Itís all good now.
Rocky Road for me. Get it? Well, at least I tried.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

By the way, does the M-05 V2 R not have an aluminum steering link? Product info doesn't mention it and the manual didn't seem to either. I know a black anodized steering link does exist because there is one in the "Tamiya 84407 M-05 Ver.II Aluminium Parts Set (Black Anodized)" hop-up set. Outside of that set it doesn't exist in black as an aftermarket option, so it seems odd of it is not included with the car kit. And it seems like on part that with many cars seems to be a common upgrade to make, kinda lame if they simply skimped out on it here.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's only available as part of the 84407 set. Like most of the black parts it was very limited availability.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
Rocky Road for me. Get it? Well, at least I tried.
I had the Willy Wonka. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, etc....anyway, finally buttoned up the M07. Finally get to run it next week. The M07 S isnít progressing so well. Got some epoxy specifically made for plastics, but itís not sticking. Work in progress.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Got some epoxy specifically made for plastics, but itís not sticking. Work in progress.
Tamiya plastics should be nylon, which is hard to glue with superglue or epoxy... Maybe that's why rhey used that big servo mount, it's holding chassis in one piece
Old 09-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Papi
Tamiya plastics should be nylon, which is hard to glue with superglue or epoxy... Maybe that's why rhey used that big servo mount, it's holding chassis in one piece
The M07 chassis uses a new fibreglass reinforced plastic. Not sure whether it's nylon based.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The M07 chassis uses a new fibreglass reinforced plastic. Not sure whether it's nylon based.
I know, most of newer mid-level chassis from Tamiya are glass reinforced. From what I was able to find, Tamiya's reinforced plastics are nylon based too. But we can't be sure until someone make chemic analysis
Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Feels and cuts like carbon reinforced nylon. Not my first priority at the moment anyway.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, turns out I couldn't wait and got the M-05 V2 R kit already. But I must say my first impressions aren't that great. Even though I had looked at the part list and also briefly at the manual, it still seems there's less aluminum overall than I somehow expected. And the plastic... doesn't inspire confidence. I'm only at step 6, and as I was screwing in the king pin to the front upright, the damn upright cracked from that side well before the screw was even all the way down (and I noticed that apparently you can't even screw them all the way down... at least not without inviting more chance of cracking). Not sure how long it'll last in use, and according to the above posts epoxy-ing it won't work either. Sigh Does even modeling glue have any effect? Although since it's not particularly strong, I suppose it wouldn't help too much with longevity.

This isn't what I'd call a cheap kit, and especially coming from the offroad side of things this kind of plastic just seems... cheap and crappy And of course, aluminum uprights cost a relative fortune and are NOT available in black, the all-black look being one reason I went for the R. Is the M-07 plastic better? Not that it'd help me at this point.

Oh well. Hopefully no more setbacks...

The rant aside, tires question. For indoor carpet, do the 53215 slicks have more grip than the 50683 radials? These two are the allowed options in the race class I'm participating in, in addition to reinforced slicks which to my understanding are mainly for outdoors? I kinda assumed they would have more grip, being slicks, but after dry-mounting them and thinking on it again I then I realized I don't know what type of rubber either of them are and so on. The radials obviously look a lot nicer, so if the grip is at least as good as the slicks, they'd be nicer to have (although I have to use this set of slicks first anyway since I already bought 'em, I guess).
Old 09-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tvih
Well, turns out I couldn't wait and got the M-05 V2 R kit already. But I must say my first impressions aren't that great. Even though I had looked at the part list and also briefly at the manual, it still seems there's less aluminum overall than I somehow expected. And the plastic... doesn't inspire confidence. I'm only at step 6, and as I was screwing in the king pin to the front upright, the damn upright cracked from that side well before the screw was even all the way down (and I noticed that apparently you can't even screw them all the way down... at least not without inviting more chance of cracking). Not sure how long it'll last in use, and according to the above posts epoxy-ing it won't work either. Sigh Does even modeling glue have any effect? Although since it's not particularly strong, I suppose it wouldn't help too much with longevity.

This isn't what I'd call a cheap kit, and especially coming from the offroad side of things this kind of plastic just seems... cheap and crappy And of course, aluminum uprights cost a relative fortune and are NOT available in black, the all-black look being one reason I went for the R. Is the M-07 plastic better? Not that it'd help me at this point.

Oh well. Hopefully no more setbacks...

The rant aside, tires question. For indoor carpet, do the 53215 slicks have more grip than the 50683 radials? These two are the allowed options in the race class I'm participating in, in addition to reinforced slicks which to my understanding are mainly for outdoors? I kinda assumed they would have more grip, being slicks, but after dry-mounting them and thinking on it again I then I realized I don't know what type of rubber either of them are and so on. The radials obviously look a lot nicer, so if the grip is at least as good as the slicks, they'd be nicer to have (although I have to use this set of slicks first anyway since I already bought 'em, I guess).
I don't know how much you ended up paying for yours, but it is still one of the cheaper kits on the market. I got mine for around $160 USD. The plastics are a bit crappy, they're pretty soft. That usually means durable as they'll flex instead of cracking, so I'm surprised you cracked yours just by screwing. My guess is that you had the king pin misaligned while screwing it, it can be tricky to align correctly. I like to pre thread them before installing them in the C hub. Replacement F parts are cheap, I'd just order a new part rather than try to repair the current one.

The one plastic part on that kit that really needs to be alloy in my opinion is the steering link between the two bellcranks. It's so flimsy. I couldn't find a black one so I'm still using the plastic.

M07 plastics are quite different. Much stiffer but the front knuckles are much more likely to break in a crash.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The M07 is a completely different car anyway. No compatibility in the plastics. Speaking of plastic, the 07 is carbon reinforced polymer of some kind. Every previous car, 05 included is made of ABS plastic. Iíve used epoxy to fix stripped screw holes on both types before and it works well for that. Not sure about cracked parts.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

I paid quite a bit, it's not a cheap kit around here... equates to $256. I could've gotten it slightly cheaper from Germany, but the difference would've only been like $10-12 so it made sense to support my local store instead and not have to wait for the order to arrive (now I'm waiting for the electronics to arrive instead ).

If anything, to me the plastic seems brittle because it doesn't seem to flex basically at all, which is why the crack - and the king pin screw was straight, there's not really a good excuse for it breaking it like that. Just simply shouldn't happen. I was planning on getting the F parts for spares but having to install a spare before even driving the car... argh.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed, but guess I somehow managed to get my hopes up too much. I shouldn't have expected great plastics for example because they're essentially the same as in the "starter" kits that are half the price. I do wonder though what kind of a crazy sadistic person makes a design with so many e-clips and unnecessarily difficult to detach ball cups.

Also many of the aluminum parts in the kit seem kinda useless compared to what could've been included. Like the battery "holders"? Why aluminum, and why are they so badly designed that they don't even actually hold the damn battery in place. Kinda nuts that there's nothing in the kit to hold square packs in place. I've not yet decided how I'm going to accomplish that.

The steering link would've been one nice thing to include. There is the black version but since it is part of the set that costs about $100, kinda sucks as many of the parts in that set already come with the R kit. Basically, the steering parts are the only useful ones in it. But you can get those in blue from Yeah Racing or Jazrider at like $15-20 shipped, reeeaalllly can't justify the difference. As such it's either stick with plastic or get the YH/JR ones, despite wanting to have the black look. I'm considering getting the Jazrider aluminum hexes since they're only about $8 shipped, and despite being blue they obvioulsy won't show unless you take the wheels off.

And I'll say this though, the black & tin dampers are definitely a lot sexier than the ones you can buy separately.

And yeah monkeyracer, I know they're not compatible, I was just musing if I had gotten that kit instead. And I probably would've had the 210mm bodies been mountable on it.

Last edited by tvih; 09-22-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tvih
I paid quite a bit, it's not a cheap kit around here... equates to $256. I could've gotten it slightly cheaper from Germany, but the difference would've only been like $10-12 so it made sense to support my local store instead and not have to wait for the order to arrive (now I'm waiting for the electronics to arrive instead ).

If anything, to me the plastic seems brittle because it doesn't seem to flex basically at all, which is why the crack - and the king pin screw was straight, there's not really a good excuse for it breaking it like that. Just simply shouldn't happen. I was planning on getting the F parts for spares but having to install a spare before even driving the car... argh.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed, but guess I somehow managed to get my hopes up too much. I shouldn't have expected great plastics for example because they're essentially the same as in the "starter" kits that are half the price. I do wonder though what kind of a crazy sadistic person makes a design with so many e-clips and unnecessarily difficult to detach ball cups.

Also many of the aluminum parts in the kit seem kinda useless compared to what could've been included. Like the battery "holders"? Why aluminum, and why are they so badly designed that they don't even actually hold the damn battery in place. Kinda nuts that there's nothing in the kit to hold square packs in place. I've not yet decided how I'm going to accomplish that.

The steering link would've been one nice thing to include. There is the black version but since it is part of the set that costs about $100, kinda sucks as many of the parts in that set already come with the R kit. Basically, the steering parts are the only useful ones in it. But you can get those in blue from Yeah Racing or Jazrider at like $15-20 shipped, reeeaalllly can't justify the difference. As such it's either stick with plastic or get the YH/JR ones, despite wanting to have the black look. I'm considering getting the Jazrider aluminum hexes since they're only about $8 shipped, and despite being blue they obvioulsy won't show unless you take the wheels off.

And I'll say this though, the black & tin dampers are definitely a lot sexier than the ones you can buy separately.

And yeah monkeyracer, I know they're not compatible, I was just musing if I had gotten that kit instead. And I probably would've had the 210mm bodies been mountable on it.
I hear you on the e-clips and aluminium steering parts and black alloy set. It's still a good kit though, I hope you enjoy it once you get the knuckle issue sorted out. Just remember there are 2 different types of F parts for the M05, the standard ones, and the Ra ones. The v2 R kit uses the Ra ones, but you can use the standard ones too. If you get the standard ones, make sure you don't mix and match one Ra on one side and one standard on the other :P
Old 09-23-2017, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Speaking of the steering parts... what's the word on the cheaper aftermarket options? Since I'm an overeager fool who buys too many cars and then can't afford many high-quality parts, I've now been looking at the Yeah Racing and Jazrider steering sets (which include the two parts that attach to the steering link). The YR set would cost just a touch over 20Ä, whereas the Jazrider is 12,5Ä and Tamiya's own would be by comparison a whopping 45Ä (actually RCMart has the YR set for ~12Ä as well but they've suddenly decided not to ship to Finland even though I've ordered several items from them over the past few months... I guess they don't like me anymore ). I've seen mixed general opinions on YR and Jaz, but mostly from the offroad side of things. YR seems relatively liked on the onroad side? Especially YR would have some other reasonably priced things like F/R knuckles etc that I could try to accumulate over time if I end up driving this thing more. And Jazrider would have affordable aluminum wheel hexes.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The Yeah Racing steering stuff is pretty good. Itís a little soft if you tend to crash a lot, but weighing price against quality, itís a decent value. The same goes for their front uprights and C hubs. Iíve owned those for years and havenít bent them. The quality is far above their early efforts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.