Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
I do have the TA03 in hand.. So most of the mini driver perfer to use the
TA03 ball diff their first option than the Gear diff?
I'm not sure if most people are even aware of the monkeyracing gear diff approach. I've thought about something like that while back, but hadn't tried it until recently. It works, and it works quite well. If you are referring to the oil gear diff, if the diff doesn't leak, I much prefer the oil diffs vs ball diffs for its consistency and very low maintenance.

If you race TCS you might be outside the guidelines so best to check your options. I'm open to any mod since I don't race these days.

I had a few weekends to stop by the local parking lot track to watch or even participate if I had urge, but ended up doing other things. Racing is not a big factor in my RC right now, I just enjoy putting them together, fiddling around with it, and just driving them around for personal enjoyment.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I'm not sure if most people are even aware of the monkeyracing gear diff approach. I've thought about something like that while back, but hadn't tried it until recently. It works, and it works quite well. If you are referring to the oil gear diff, if the diff doesn't leak, I much prefer the oil diffs vs ball diffs for its consistency and very low maintenance.

If you race TCS you might be outside the guidelines so best to check your options. I'm open to any mod since I don't race these days.

I had a few weekends to stop by the local parking lot track to watch or even participate if I had urge, but ended up doing other things. Racing is not a big factor in my RC right now, I just enjoy putting them together, fiddling around with it, and just driving them around for personal enjoyment.
Is it possible to post a ling to the monkeyracing gear diff approach? I tried the search tool, but no luck.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by godzukihop
Is it possible to post a ling to the monkeyracing gear diff approach? I tried the search tool, but no luck.
You just add more of these shims highlighted yellow. I used 2 per side for a nice weighted feel on my near stock M05, you can do 3 per side and work the small screws to get your range of adjustment.

I'm going to make the shims out of transparency film and stack them up until I get the resistance I want.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...2097-shims.jpg
Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
You just add more of these shims highlighted yellow. I used 2 per side for a nice weighted feel on my near stock M05, you can do 3 per side and work the small screws to get your range of adjustment.

I'm going to make the shims out of transparency film and stack them up until I get the resistance I want.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...2097-shims.jpg
Thank you.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

A few extra shims per side, with a tiny smear of anti wear grease. Make sure the screws are tightened very evenly. I wouldn't go so far as to call this the Monkeyracing diff. I learned about it on the forum and just advocate it where there might be a conflict with chassis, budget or rules.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 09-24-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would probably enjoying racing at home if I had a nice track like you too!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
A few extra shims per side, wi h a tiny smear of anti wear grease. Make sure the screws are tightened very evenly. I wouldn't go so far as to call this the Monkeyracing diff. I learned about it on the forum and just advocate it where there might be a conflict with chassis, budget or rules.
You're too modest. To me this is the "monkeyracing diff", so that is what I will be referring it to it as. It's a great mod especially on my trucks where they dont necessarily offer ball diffs as an option. Plus it costs nothing, really. It's great.

Originally Posted by eR1c
I would probably enjoying racing at home if I had a nice track like you too!
Thanks, eR1c. I can't wait to expand it some more, tentatively next Summer I will start the other section. I'm thinking about adding a grade on one area of the track to give it a mild 4-5" up/down slope. Should be a fun variation to the track.

How's that offroad track coming along?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Not modest. Honest. I saw mention of shimming the diff on the thread when I first joined in 2008, but no one was terribly clear on the subject. For a bunch of guys who are willing to share, there are still a few spots where they got stingy.

Bob (Granpa) filled me in on the trick about three years ago. My only contribution was drilling an access hole for adjustments, which would probably be illegal under TCS rules, so if you do it and get caught, I don't know you.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Not modest. Honest. I saw mention of shimming the diff on the thread when I first joined in 2008, but no one was terribly clear on the subject. For a bunch of guys who are willing to share, there are still a few spots where they got stingy.

Bob (Granpa) filled me in on the trick about three years ago. My only contribution was drilling an access hole for adjustments, which would probably be illegal under TCS rules, so if you do it and get caught, I don't know you.
It's nice of you to show all the credits.

You taking the ideas and putting it together into tangible form with a twist deserves applause too. so thanks.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone know what sponge inserts are used on the tamiya premounted (1016) tires? Soft, medium, hard, super hard?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Hard inserts.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Im excited that there is a new miata body for the M chassis cars, but what I don't understand is why Tamiya has chosen to use the M05 chassis underneath it. I wonder if the motor hangs out too far in the rear on the M06 chassis and thats why they went this route. I hope it fits the rwd chassis.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Looks nice.. I'd run it on my 4WD m-chassis.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MrLesac

Im excited that there is a new miata body for the M chassis cars, but what I don't understand is why Tamiya has chosen to use the M05 chassis underneath it. I wonder if the motor hangs out too far in the rear on the M06 chassis and thats why they went this route. I hope it fits the rwd chassis.

Do you know the Tamiya Part number for the body only???
Old 09-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Couldnt find info on the body set only, but I believe the part number for the whole car kit is 58624.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.