Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
sound, excellent advice to me!
Thank you for that.

Originally Posted by AM03GT
+1 haven't touched anything on my M03 except the shocks in 4 years. I rebuild my shocks once a season or if I notice they have lost oil/air inside. My TRF shocks don't seem to seal as well as some of my other TC shocks...
Yeah, sometimes quality control gets a little "spotty". The problem seems to be the most often encountered on the shock shafts or the piston rods as Tamiya calls them. The shafts for the 54000 shocks seem like the worst.

You don't usually have to do this, but I like to debur the threads and polish the shafts. Hardly ever have to do this, but is helpful on occasion. Chucking the shafts in a drill and using fine sandpaper on the threads and metal polish on the shaft itself seemed to help. Another area is the O-ring. For me the best one is the original clear ring, though others have a preference for other types. I was surprised at the number of people who don't bother to lube the O-ring before placing it over the shaft.

Also, zero rebound shocks seem to leak less than shocks with rebound, for obvious reasons. You can also drill a small---#60---, hole in the shock cap and that will help also. This might be illegal in some racing series though.

Sorry, just basic stuff so hope it wasn't too elementary for you. Sure see a lot of it at the track tho.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone interesting in seeing any updates on this:

Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

I am.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I am for sure (I mentioned it briefly a few posts ago). Tower is taking orders for the Jimmy now.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Gear diff maintenance

Maybe you guys can help me with this. I'm in the middle of replacing the chassis on my M-03. Regular maintenance I can handle. At the 2012 TCS race in Jackson, NJ I stripped out the ball diff. Another racer there gave me his completely built up M03 gear diff (his M03 was long gone, replaced by an M05, but he still had the diff). Problem is I have no idea how to set up the gear diff. I'm not sore what thicker or thinner oil will do for handling, and I have no idea what's in it now. Any recommendations?

I could also use help with shock oil. Springs are easy, but it's been so long since I built the shocks I forgot what I have in them.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by patorz31
I am.
Originally Posted by Rodarbal
I am for sure (I mentioned it briefly a few posts ago). Tower is taking orders for the Jimmy now.
Let me know what you want to know.

This car is pretty much a mini-TL01 with the motor behind the rear wheels and adjustable wheelbase (center section of chassis is shorter or longer and different length prop shaft comes depending on the body in kit).
Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricP
Anyone interesting in seeing any updates on this:

Most curious about parts shared with other models and final drive ratio.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Thanks for the heads up on Banzai.

Honestly speaking, I prefer to buy only from domestic stores in the USA. I buy most of my Tamiya gear from TamiyaUSA or OmniModels, Amazon and its tenants in the US, eBay stores in the US. I get it within a week.

I've bought from vendors in Japan. One took 9 days from order to delivery which I can accept. Another took 30 days for an in-stock item, and this was via air, not surface shipment. That is completely ridiculous this day and age. I've bought from UK. Took about 20-22 days..
Thank you for supporting local suppliers and families. It shouldnt always be about price.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Most curious about parts shared with other models and final drive ratio.
Mainly the suspension arms and hubs/carriers part trees are from the M05ra kit (and the F Parts are molded in red plastic). Chassis, gears and all that jazz are different... aaaaand it uses TL01 gears #50738
Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
Thank you for supporting local suppliers and families. It shouldnt always be about price.
Here's something I posted on a local forum recently

"Four trips to PM (LHS) this month. Looking for parts for Tamiya, Traxxas, Associated and Axial. Total purchases, $1.56. What does this tell us?"
Old 05-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Maybe you guys can help me with this. I'm in the middle of replacing the chassis on my M-03. Regular maintenance I can handle. At the 2012 TCS race in Jackson, NJ I stripped out the ball diff. Another racer there gave me his completely built up M03 gear diff (his M03 was long gone, replaced by an M05, but he still had the diff). Problem is I have no idea how to set up the gear diff. I'm not sore what thicker or thinner oil will do for handling, and I have no idea what's in it now. Any recommendations?

I could also use help with shock oil. Springs are easy, but it's been so long since I built the shocks I forgot what I have in them.
Were you running the Manta Ray ball diff? Mine stripped out in like 5months too. The splines just completely broke on the left side.

I'm currently using the factory gear diff since I am on the fence not sure what to do with my M03 (to put more $ into it, or just let it be). I've read people doubled up on the shims and put AW grease inside to keep it snug. AW grease turns into liquid after a while in the diff so I am not sure if I recommend that approach or not. I would try the shim approach though.

In the mean time, I just gave my M03 some rake and it handles coming out of the turns fairly well for now. I need to order another ball diff soon.

Originally Posted by sickboy
sickboy - I wish my local brick and mortar hobby store carried more Tamiya stuff too. But I am okay with ordering online from USA stores.

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Here's something I posted on a local forum recently

"Four trips to PM (LHS) this month. Looking for parts for Tamiya, Traxxas, Associated and Axial. Total purchases, $1.56. What does this tell us?"
You keep forgetting your wallet? (disclaimer: this is a joke)
Old 05-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
I noticed OmniModels is also taking orders. ETA Late July it says. I'm going to pass for now. Maybe you guys can make a tutorial on how to convert it into a road machine and I will consider it in the Fall and run my.. you guessed it.. Rover Mini body.

I went another route recently and got 2 Mini-Z (MR03-S) and bearings, tires, etc. AWESOME!
Old 05-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

No real easy answers to your questions.

Setting up the gear diff really depends on the conditions of your track, what you're looking for out of your car, and how you like to drive. The short answer would be to use some anti-wear grease, more or less, and maybe shimming.

Same goes for your shocks. Put in a fair amount of testing to find out how your car reacts to changes. Try 3 hole, 40wt to get you started.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

YGPM'd dude
Old 05-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll keep practicing and experimenting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.