Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 09-03-2013, 04:37 PM
  #19426  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by fresnojay
Good info on the lubes used by all. Will have to get some graphite for my hinge pins and such as I notice mine get sticky from time to time and do now freely move as much I would like. I had used previously small dabs or applications of Glidex II where needed to free things up but like the fact that graphite won't attract dirt like the Glidex II. I know I am behind the 8 ball in terms of the best stuff to lube and use. But I am trying to get there .

Grandpa, Thanks for the tips and will get to work. I am currently running Black/Red front and Black/Blue rear for springs. Are those the softest of the Tamiya's or are one of the others softer? I also have a set of the black/yellow, white/blue, white/yellow, and florescent red springs. Also the ride height was set at 4.5mm front and 4mm rear. Should I go ahead and raise the front to 5mm in accordance to your suggestions?

Jason
I've never used the black springs, but Bensi was telling me they are about the same as the fluorescent ones. They might be shorter.

First things first. Try the spec tire on your car. Add the cyano to the front tires, outside first. Experiment with how much you need to do. Right now I'm covering the whole sidewall. I'm probably the one who uses the least cyano of the Mini Mafia, but am also a little down on pace. Most are using the cyano on the rear tires also, so will need to try that.

Spent a little time with AngryRog Saturday. We made a couple of seemingly small changes or adjustments to quicken and give him a bit more steering. I'd run with him earlier and could easily out run him. After the changes, I had a lot of trouble. It took 3 or 4 trial runs , but his car was pretty close to start with.
Granpa is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  #19427  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

The fluorescent springs are the softest of the lot, followed by the dull coloured (short touring car) kits. I believe the white with dots and the black with dots are roughly equivalent or one step harder than the short tc set.

11.86 Red
12.90 Red Short
13.33 Yellow
13.24 Yellow Short
14.08 Blue
15.27 Blue Short

All this talk of grease is making want to pull my unis apart and clean the AW out of them. Need to see what else I've got. Maybe some white lithium.

GP, why do you suggest leaving the little ridge around the edge of the front tires? Just curious as we're all gluing to reduce grip there a little and that ridge grabs corners pretty hard, on carpet at least.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 PM
  #19428  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
The fluorescent springs are the softest of the lot, followed by the dull coloured (short touring car) kits. I believe the white with dots and the black with dots are roughly equivalent or one step harder than the short tc set.

11.86 Red
12.90 Red Short
13.33 Yellow
13.24 Yellow Short
14.08 Blue
15.27 Blue Short

All this talk of grease is making want to pull my unis apart and clean the AW out of them. Need to see what else I've got. Maybe some white lithium.

GP, why do you suggest leaving the little ridge around the edge of the front tires? Just curious as we're all gluing to reduce grip there a little and that ridge grabs corners pretty hard, on carpet at least.
Sorry if I posted some misinfo on the black springs. I don't use them myself and was just repeating what Bensi was telling me. We may be talking about different springs tho, cause they seemed about the same as the fluoro ones using the classic Stack 'em and Squeeze "em test.

As far as the ridge on the tires go, it may be better to remove it on carpet. I'd have no idea cause I avoid carpet racing for the most part. I just don't care for it very much. We have a very good carpet track with a well stocked hobby shop not all that far from me. I've been there once, spent 3 hours, got the car to run good lap times, and "hated" every minute of it. The best part of that day was backing the car out of it's parking space, turning it around and driving home.

I don't recall suggesting to leave the ridge on the tire, but may have. Old age is the excuse. I've put a set of the Spec S-Grips on a tire truer and tried rounding the edges. The tire "ballooned" so badly, it was a difficult process. That set was no better than an untouched one and in some ways a lot worse.

Actually, there's a guy up around Seattle, Washington that probably knows more about carpet tire prepping than most. He sent a PM saying he was coming down to get in some practice with the Mini Mafia in 2-3 weeks. I'll see if he'll give you some help.
Granpa is offline  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 PM
  #19429  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
I'd have no idea cause I avoid carpet racing for the most part. I just don't care for it very much. We have a very good carpet track with a well stocked hobby shop not all that far from me. I've been there once, spent 3 hours, got the car to run good lap times, and "hated" every minute of it. The best part of that day was backing the car out of it's parking space, turning it around and driving home.
Granpa,

I don't know you, but based on some assumptions (correct me if i'm wrong), I'm guessing you're referring to TQ?

Just curious why you prefer asphalt over carpet?
silencery is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 AM
  #19430  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

Hi all.

I'm about to do a strip down and clean up of the M05 and while I'm doing it I've been thinking about a 3 Racing gear diff (ball diffs aren't allowed at my clubs). From what I've read these seem to be either love or hate bits of kit! Are they a significant improvement over the kit diff? I like the idea of low maintenance as I don't get much spare time to work on the car. If I should try it, I've heard they need bedding in before racing as they can be tight, but what is the general rule on the type of oil?

Cheers all
Boons is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 AM
  #19431  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

They are a big improvement over the kit diff and the ball diff. Depending on your racing surface, anything from 300,000 to 2,500,000 silicone could be used. On our medium grip carpet, 300,000 to 500,000 seem to be the thing.

Just curious: Why does your club ban a Tamiya hop up part, but allow a superior aftermarket hop up part.?
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 AM
  #19432  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
They are a big improvement over the kit diff and the ball diff. Depending on your racing surface, anything from 300,000 to 2,500,000 silicone could be used. On our medium grip carpet, 300,000 to 500,000 seem to be the thing.

Just curious: Why does your club ban a Tamiya hop up part, but allow a superior aftermarket hop up part.?
Thank you for the reply. I'm racing on high grip carpet, any preference on the oil for that, and perhaps the manufacturer too please?

The rules at the club just says 'Gear diff only' so if the 3 Racing happens to better than the kit gear and ball diffs, then so be it

Oh, and what is the longevity of the 3 Racing ones, and how often will it need maintenance?

Cheers!
Boons is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 02:18 AM
  #19433  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 78
Default

I've just put 3racing gear diffs in two cars (my son races as well).

We haven't had the chance to run them yet so cannot comment on oil. We've got them filled with 5000cst oil at the moment (nothing else seems to be in stock at my usual suppliers). My lad did run his car round the house, it did seem significantly faster when turning.

The O rings that come with the diff are really tight to start off with, I had the drill out for quite a while rotating the outdrives (I think that is what they are called) until they ran pretty smoothly. I didn't have the gears inside the diff at the time, just rotated the outdrives.

Hope this helps.
tonybod is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 AM
  #19434  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England
Posts: 153
Default

Thank you for the replies.

I'm a little confused on what oil to try as I've just looked on ebay and found 5,000cst, 300,000cst and 500,000cst.

As I say I only run on high grip carpet and using the kit motor if that helps.

Thanks again
Boons is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 04:47 AM
  #19435  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 78
Default

Several people on here suggest 300000cst to 500000cst oil. I've only got 5000cst at the moment (Fastrax oil, their 100000, 300000 and 500000 seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment).

I'd get what you can for now and see how it runs. I did notice another review on the web that mentions that the user runs 5000cst oil.
tonybod is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM
  #19436  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by silencery
Granpa,

I don't know you, but based on some assumptions (correct me if i'm wrong), I'm guessing you're referring to TQ?

Just curious why you prefer asphalt over carpet?
I was careful not to mention any track by name cause my comments on carpet as a racing surface were not intended in any way to be an indictment of this particular track, it's management, or the facility itself. From what I personally experienced in my one visit there, everything was top rank, so that explains why I lasted for 3 hours. I tried very hard to enjoy my time there, but finally gave up and went home. If you like carpet, this would be a great track for you and the hobby shop is excellent.

I've done quite a few races and practiced on carpet a fair amount, so my prejudices towards carpet, are not based on one visit to this track. I have a long list of reasons for preferring asphalt to carpet, but will give just a few.
1. Having to use a tire sauce and the mess it makes on the inside of the body.
2. Cleaning tires after every run. You spend more time cleaning tires than actual track time.
3. Removing carpet fuzz from the car.
4. Getting yelled at for breaking someones TC. He hits me in the ass, throws me into the wall, and it's my fault cause I didn't get out of his way. By the way this has happened more than once and not just to me. Of course this happens on any track or surface.
5. Most carpet tracks are smaller so #4 is more likely to happen. Thus you try to avoid running when TC are on track and pull off when they go on the track. Doesn't make for a fun time.
Granpa is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM
  #19437  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,838
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I have had good luck with RZ-50 dry film lubricant on hinge pins and captured rod ends on my 4wd short course truck. It's like $7 at any Home Depot.

On Edit, re TQ raceway:

I don't like being indoors very much, but I despise racing indoors. But that has something to do with me not liking being indoors. There are other problems with racing indoors that involve the "local clique", but with that said....

I love racing at Sean's TQ raceway. We used to race carpet oval there when the Southwest Tour ran, so when I got a chance to attend the TCS race there I jumped on it. I always pit on the south side near the rollup door so it's almost like being outdoors. When we went down to test for the TCS race, we didn't know hardly anyone and one of the guys with us remarked "this is the nicest, friendliest, most helpful group I've ever seen". And all the fast guys were there!

Before TQ opened I lived up the street at Peyton and Chino Hills Parkway. Had Sean been open, it's possible I'd of never left.

Last edited by CraigMBA; 09-04-2013 at 09:42 AM.
CraigMBA is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
  #19438  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I hear you, Bob. The key is to a accept that we'll never be as good or perfect as touring car guys. Honestly, I'm overjoyed just to breathe the same air as they do.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM
  #19439  
Tech Master
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Posts: 1,165
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I hear you, Bob. The key is to a accept that we'll never be as good or perfect as touring car guys. Honestly, I'm overjoyed just to breathe the same air as they do.
I hear that. I'll be lumbering the M03 around once a month at H30 here in Seattle.

Mini vs. Mod TC.... MINI DON'T CARE!
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM
  #19440  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Racing4Evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
1. Having to use a tire sauce and the mess it makes on the inside of the body.
2. Cleaning tires after every run. You spend more time cleaning tires than actual track time.
3. Removing carpet fuzz from the car.
4. Getting yelled at for breaking someones TC. He hits me in the ass, throws me into the wall, and it's my fault cause I didn't get out of his way. By the way this has happened more than once and not just to me. Of course this happens on any track or surface.
5. Most carpet tracks are smaller so #4 is more likely to happen. Thus you try to avoid running when TC are on track and pull off when they go on the track. Doesn't make for a fun time.
Reasons 1-3 either come with any track(asphalt or carpet) or they can be solved with an air compressor.

Reason 4-You must have been there on a bad day, but I totally understand your frustration especially if you are the lone wolf mini in a pack of HEAVy and FAST TC's.


Give it another try on a race day where the practice sessions are more controlled and other minis are running. I think you will be surprised at the competition on that dinky hot indoor rug.
Racing4Evo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.