Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Does anyone know off hand, if the Tamiya M05/M06 alum. rear uprights will fit a M03? It looks like the mount for the upper arm is offset, so I wasn't sure if it would work. Thanks!
Yes.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shawnh
Too much weight is transferring forward when you lift off so you could do a couple of things.
Start off lengthening your rear shocks a little. Assuming you've built them up to approximately 56mm try going .5 to 1mm longer on the rear to give yourself more droop.

Failing that I sometimes add 10g of weight to the rear which I stick just behind the servo.
There are a few other things you could do in addition. Either raise your front ride height or lower the rear or both. Reduce the amount of drag brake in the esc. You could also dial back on the amount of brake in the Tx. Also, reduce the amount of travel and slow down the servo. Some radios do not have a servo speed adj, but most have brake and travel adjustability.

Don't like to go counter to the guys a rc-mini, but from your description,it sounds as if your front shocks and springs are too hard and the rears are too soft. An easy experiment would be to swap the shocks from front to rear and from rear to front. A rear roll bar might help.

Set ups can vary from track to track, day to day, and sometimes even hour to hour. There really isn't one set up that works everywhere. You'll need to come up with your own base set up. It's tough to give more than just general advice.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Too much weight is transferring forward when you lift off so you could do a couple of things.
Start off lengthening your rear shocks a little. Assuming you've built them up to approximately 56mm try going .5 to 1mm longer on the rear to give yourself more droop.

Failing that I sometimes add 10g of weight to the rear which I stick just behind the servo.
Thanks mate. I'll try that with the shocks. As we can only run 60d tyres at our club, in order to get 5mm of ride height the wishbones have to be compressed quite a way. Is that ok or should I raise it a bit?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You can go counter to what we say Bob. The only hard and fast rule for mini setup is that there is NO hard and fast rules...
What Tim does with his cars sometimes beggars belief....
Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Boons
As we can only run 60d tyres at our club, in order to get 5mm of ride height the wishbones have to be compressed quite a way. Is that ok or should I raise it a bit?
Sorry and call me thick ( ) but I don't quite understand what you mean by compressing the wishbones. Are you saying your car has excessive ride height ?

If so you could fit an o'ring under the piston inside the shock body to limit it's travel but to be honest it's not something I've ever had a problem with; unless of course you are using Touring Car TRF shocks with are longer than the M-Chassis version?

Still not too much of a issue though; you will just need a few more o'ring's in there to bring the overall length of the shock down to 56mm for the front and somewhere in the region of 56.5 to 57mm for the rear.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry and call me thick ( ) but I don't quite understand what you mean by compressing the wishbones. Are you saying your car has excessive ride height ?

If so you could fit an o'ring under the piston inside the shock body to limit it's travel but to be honest it's not something I've ever had a problem with; unless of course you are using Touring Car TRF shocks with are longer than the M-Chassis version?

Still not too much of a issue though; you will just need a few more o'ring's in there to bring the overall length of the shock down to 56mm for the front and somewhere in the region of 56.5 to 57mm for the rear.
Thank you

Mine's got the M Chassis types. I'll get a vernier and measure the shock lengths.

Forgive my terminology, I meant that if I have 5mm of clearance the chassis side of the wishbones are lower than the wheel side due to running 60D tyres.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 08-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Sounds good to me Ryan. Mine's exactly the same.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys, I'll get to work on it!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
Anyone now what the newly announced 58581 MONSTER SUPER SWIFT (M-05) is all about ?

Pic of new kit

Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So...new stickers?

It does look nice. The blue wheels do a great job of tying it together and it's a relief to see a Swift without a hint of yellow.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry dont want to be rude..but dont want to flip through 1285 pages.

but can someone give me a little info on what parts I need to upgrade my cooper as I have it for 13 years getting back into the hobby now. It is still stock with a mech controller and running great just very slow. Kind of want to turn it to a Rally mini cooper. What motor and ESC, tires, shocks?

thanks a lot.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JaseEng
Sorry dont want to be rude..but dont want to flip through 1285 pages.

but can someone give me a little info on what parts I need to upgrade my cooper as I have it for 13 years getting back into the hobby now. It is still stock with a mech controller and running great just very slow. Kind of want to turn it to a Rally mini cooper. What motor and ESC, tires, shocks?

thanks a lot.
Jase,

Tamiya made a M05-RA some time back, that was rally-based. If you go to tamiyausa.com and type in M05RA, I'm sure you should be able to pull up the parts list of what was used, ie: tires, shocks, etc.

I belive a set of normal TC shocks would work just fine, as they would give you the ride height you'd need., and the mini-rally block tires would be best (from the M05RA kit).

As for an ESC, LRP makes the Ai reverse ESC for brushed-motors like your mini probably has. TQ racing has them for around 45.00. LRP makes great stuff so you can't go wrong there.

Add a Suzuki Swift rally body, and you're set!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

hi thanks for the reply

Didn't see any info about the rally though in tamiya usa. Will check TQ, Perfer to change the motor to brushless with more torque. Do you have any suggestions?

thanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does anyone run brushless instead of the stock motor? There is a new track starting up by me and I'm pushing for a more open motor choice for the mini class.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I'm running brushless. The stock gearing limits you a lot though. Luckily I got some speed gears for my M06 and going to try it out with a 21.5 motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.