Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hop up question for M05

New to the forum and would appreciate and advice:

1) on a M05 Mini Cooper can I use the TA03 Ball Diff with the black reinforced gear set ? The TA03 ball diff has the light tan plastic which is not as hard

2) I am building the m chassis aluminum damper set shocks and there are 2 o rings one clear silicone and one black. Do you know which o rings go where? Like which o ring sits on the piston rod between the 2 e rings? Which morning goes in the bottom of the shock assembly?

3) is there a site that shows how to use these shocks with M05 chassis ?

Thanks!
Willis
Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1. Yes
2. Clear o ring goes in bottom of damper, between the white plastic rings. The black ones I'm not sure about
3. This thread or rc-mini will tell you everything you'll ever need
Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1...also, you'll need to run 5x11 bearings with diff and use the adapter bits supplied with the kit.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

For those of you NW mini guys, I'll be heading up to Galaxy hobby in Lynnwood for some season-end testing. Should be a light day race-wise, so I'm hoping for lot's of stick-time.

I have a post with more info on my blog: www.theminiunderground.blogspot.com if anyone's interested.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all

I've been trying to get my M05 to behave and not spin around when off power in the bends. As blue front springs and yellow rear springs seem to be what people use I was trying to get that to work. I was having trouble with that so I tried yellow on the front and red on the back, disconnected the rear sway bar and it was a different car, I'd even say competitive!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boons
Hi all

I've been trying to get my M05 to behave and not spin around when off power in the bends. As blue front springs and yellow rear springs seem to be what people use I was trying to get that to work. I was having trouble with that so I tried yellow on the front and red on the back, disconnected the rear sway bar and it was a different car, I'd even say competitive!
I also had to disconnect the rear sway bar on my M05 to get a little more stability. I left it in the car, with only one link removed, so it would be easier to reconnect if the need arises.

One other thing I noticed regarding trailing-throttle oversteer: If I take special care to minimize wheelspin when accelerating, the car doesn't pick up oversteer towards the end of the run. I'm guessing that heating the front tires by spinning them also increases their grip. I'm running type A slicks on CRC carpet. Has anybody else run into this?

Last edited by howardcano; 08-17-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by howardcano
I also had to disconnect the rear sway bar on mt M05 to get a little more stability. I left it in the car, with only one link removed, so it would be easier to reconnect if the need arises.

One other thing I noticed regarding trailing-throttle oversteer: If I take special care to minimize wheelspin when accelerating, the car doesn't pick up oversteer towards the end of the run. I'm guessing that heating the front tires by spinning them also increases their grip. I'm running type A slicks on CRC carpet. Has anybody else run into this?
Yes I left my sway bar connected and just took one side off like you. When I ran mine with no other cars I could really hear the motor spinning up for quite a while exiting corners, obviously indicating wheelspin. I am limited on diff work so maybe instead of a red rear spring, maybe yellow? The way I see it is a softer rear spring will allow the inside wheel to spin more on exiting corners?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Willis99
New to the forum and would appreciate and advice:

1) on a M05 Mini Cooper can I use the TA03 Ball Diff with the black reinforced gear set ? The TA03 ball diff has the light tan plastic which is not as hard

2) I am building the m chassis aluminum damper set shocks and there are 2 o rings one clear silicone and one black. Do you know which o rings go where? Like which o ring sits on the piston rod between the 2 e rings? Which morning goes in the bottom of the shock assembly?

3) is there a site that shows how to use these shocks with M05 chassis ?

Thanks!
Willis
Hi Willis,

The black o ring slides onto the shock shaft so that it sits under the piston, you then push the piston through the shock body and then attach the ball link to the end of the shaft. The black o ring helps reduce droop. Some guys use just the 1 black o ring but I've read of some guys putting 3 in there. Hope this helps
Old 08-18-2013, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by David Home

Hi Willis,

The black o ring slides onto the shock shaft so that it sits under the piston, you then push the piston through the shock body and then attach the ball link to the end of the shaft. The black o ring helps reduce droop. Some guys use just the 1 black o ring but I've read of some guys putting 3 in there. Hope this helps
The o-rings under the shock piston are used to tune the suspension travel/droop especially if you use hard springs. I prefer to use soft springs and leave the suspension compress a lot under the car's weight. This gives me a lot of droop, I know, but I prefer it that way.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Just finished the build on the M03. Without battery and body, and with sweep wheels, Tamiya's plastic oil filled shocks it weighs 850gms. My hopped up M05 without battery and body is 970gms. Do the shiny blue bits weigh that much!?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Yep. I actually weighed some of the plastic bits against the alloy some time ago. Only thing you can do now to get back the weight you lost is try titanium screws (about 30g saving on a TC).

And that's how spiral of madness begins.

Lightweight TC bodies are about 100g lighter so that would be another possible move. Not sure if there's lightweight mini bodies though.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

An m03 is a lot lighter than an m05, don't waste your effort trying to get the weight off. The alloy options are generally a bit heavier, but the difference is in single figures for each part.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello all,

My son and I are expecting our 3racing gear diffs any time now. I've trawled through the posts on the board in search of what oil people are using in their diffs and it seems to be the 300-500k (I think gearbox oil rather than shock oil, I'm still quite new to RC racing).

They will be both running in M-05 chassis cars (long wheel base if it makes a difference). We have been racing at a local club here in the UK.

Any recommendations? I've got a few bottles of shock oil already available so it would be great if I could use that instead of purchasing more (I know the Spec R sealed diffs for the Schumacher Mi4 uses shock oil).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Tony.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Diff oils are a lot thicker than shock oils, you will need to buy some.

My personal preference is for a much lighter oil than 500k in the diff - I run 5k.

Just make sure you run the 3Racing diff in as much as you can before racing it because the standard seals are very tight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.