Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GeekSpeed
Hi guys.

I dusted off the M04L today, and I really enjoyed blasting around in front of my house with it. It seems to handle better than I remember, to be honest. I figured I might give racing m-chassis another go.

There was one blaring issue, however, and I was hoping you all could help. It does not seem to want to go straight. I wouldn't say it wanders, I would say that it seems like the steering does not return to full neutral after a turn. I don't think there is a problem with the steering servo, but I am not sure. What do you suggest I try? Thanks.
My m05 used to wander half way down the straight. So bad that it used to dart off to one side hard and take out other drivers. I found the stupid stock plastic servo saver was at fault. Spend the extra and get a decent one. My 2c
Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Hi guys.

I dusted off the M04L today, and I really enjoyed blasting around in front of my house with it. It seems to handle better than I remember, to be honest. I figured I might give racing m-chassis another go.

There was one blaring issue, however, and I was hoping you all could help. It does not seem to want to go straight. I wouldn't say it wanders, I would say that it seems like the steering does not return to full neutral after a turn. I don't think there is a problem with the steering servo, but I am not sure. What do you suggest I try? Thanks.
On occasion, what seems to be a simple question leads to more questions. Did you check the car over to see if all the screws, etc.were there and tight??? Did all the linkages operate freely??? How did you check the servo??? Did you check the servo under load and with a servo arm attached so you could have a better visual to ascertain whether it was returning to neutral???? The usual procedure of just turning the servo one way and then the other is not a valid exercise to determine a servo's centering capabilities. That only tells you if it operates and left is left and right is right. Servo savers are easy to check. Just load it and check if it gets stuck in the direction of the load.

There are times that problems just result from assembly errors. Some of them can be quite subtle. Early in my career with Minis, I had 2, what I thought were identical Minis. One was very good, but the other had some weird problems. The problem turned out to be that I had turned the shock couplers too snug on the shock shafts which caused the the coupler to bind on the ball. This problem evaded all the Mini experts sans one. Sorry, just an old timer telling stories.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey guys can anyone post pictures of their lipo setup in an M05? I'm having a hard time figuring out what will fit. Also, just about to start racing the mini, what hop ups should I go with. HAS to be TCS legal, so I was thinking ball diff and oil dampers. Anything else anyone would suggest to be competitive? Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Does anyone have the part number or know where to find replacements for the tires that come in the M05 kits?

At our local track, we have been fighting traction rolling issues for quite some time on carpet with S-Grips and have tried everything to stop this. There a few guys who recently mounted up kit tires and are pulling some of the fastest laps on the track.

That being said, the "kit" tires as we have been referring to them, are starting to look like the best and most consistent solution. Only problem is, nobody knows what tire they are or where to get them.

Can anyone help answer this one for us?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JoeGolf
Hey guys can anyone post pictures of their lipo setup in an M05? I'm having a hard time figuring out what will fit. Also, just about to start racing the mini, what hop ups should I go with. HAS to be TCS legal, so I was thinking ball diff and oil dampers. Anything else anyone would suggest to be competitive? Thanks
Go back 6 or 7 pages and start reading. I covered this stuff in great detail on what upgrades were on of my M05s and a couple of pages later why they were there. Hope this helps, but this question gets asked so often, that it starts to get a little tiresome.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by puhrot
Does anyone have the part number or know where to find replacements for the tires that come in the M05 kits?

At our local track, we have been fighting traction rolling issues for quite some time on carpet with S-Grips and have tried everything to stop this. There a few guys who recently mounted up kit tires and are pulling some of the fastest laps on the track.

That being said, the "kit" tires as we have been referring to them, are starting to look like the best and most consistent solution. Only problem is, nobody knows what tire they are or where to get them.

I think you may be after part: 50683.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Check with Jim or monkeyracing.

Last edited by Granpa; 02-17-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: delete
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You don't want my opinion on kit tires. It's entirely negative, with a single exception. They work great on the front end of an M06.

What are your track conditions, Puhrot? Carpet, traction compounds (yours and others, temperature) Most of us here (carpet, mostly SXT 3.0 compound, fairly cool track surface) have been having great luck with S Grips all around. There are some easy tricks to minimize traction roll.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
You don't want my opinion on kit tires. It's entirely negative, with a single exception. They work great on the front end of an M06.

What are your track conditions, Puhrot? Carpet, traction compounds (yours and others, temperature) Most of us here (carpet, mostly SXT 3.0 compound, fairly cool track surface) have been having great luck with S Grips all around. There are some easy tricks to minimize traction roll.
We run on what I would say is medium grip carpet in two different locations. One surface on cool concrete, the other a raised sub-floor which probably stays a bit warmer. Most of us are using SXT 3.0 (some jack) and doping full rear with 1-3 tread widths up front depending on the track conditions.

We are also running speed passion 17.5 locked end bell spec motors with the majority of us using the spec-r gear diff with 1 million weight oil. Those who aren't using the spec-r are using shimmed stocked gear diffs to limit diff action. This gives us a little more speed than with the open diff, which might contribute to some of the rolling issues we are seeing.

What tricks would you recommend trying? We have tried a lot of things, the most recent success being gluing the side walls and one tread width on the outside. This has successfully resolved the traction rolling issue, but severely limits steering and requires near full lock in almost every corner and severely limits corner speed.

I am finding the numbers hard to argue with the kit tires for me. In the course of this two day race weekend, I tried regular s-grips without glue, s-grips with glued side walls and kit tires. With the kit tires I was able to gain a solid 2 tenths for my fast lap and with the car being much easier to drive I was able to gain another 2 laps per race.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hey guys can anyone post pictures of their lipo setup in an M05? I'm having a hard time figuring out what will fit.
If your question was "what LiPo will fit?", then here's what I've been using:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-35...se-direct.html
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Starteur
And also the new M05 carbon fibre rear damper stay part no. 54475

Where do we get it??
Any news on that part number?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
On occasion, what seems to be a simple question leads to more questions. Did you check the car over to see if all the screws, etc.were there and tight??? Did all the linkages operate freely??? How did you check the servo??? Did you check the servo under load and with a servo arm attached so you could have a better visual to ascertain whether it was returning to neutral???? The usual procedure of just turning the servo one way and then the other is not a valid exercise to determine a servo's centering capabilities. That only tells you if it operates and left is left and right is right. Servo savers are easy to check. Just load it and check if it gets stuck in the direction of the load.

There are times that problems just result from assembly errors. Some of them can be quite subtle. Early in my career with Minis, I had 2, what I thought were identical Minis. One was very good, but the other had some weird problems. The problem turned out to be that I had turned the shock couplers too snug on the shock shafts which caused the the coupler to bind on the ball. This problem evaded all the Mini experts sans one. Sorry, just an old timer telling stories.
That is all good advice, kind sir. I will check the screws, settings, etc. and make sure all is in good order. I am thinking it might be the servo. I believe it is an older one (as in, I may have had it for 20+ years), so it could be at the end of its service life.

Old timers telling stories are awesome, btw.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Forgot to mention, I am also looking at the Kimbrough heavy duty servo saver as a way to eliminate steering slop. Is this a good choice?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey guys can anyone post pictures of their lipo setup in an M05? I'm having a hard time figuring out what will fit. . . .
I'm running a PowerMax Sport lipo in mine.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We run on what I would say is medium grip carpet in two different locations...
It seems you know most of the good stuff. I have to admit, I'm very surprised that the kit tires are working for you guys. I only know of one other person who'd had any success at all with them and even then I figure there's some kind of witchcraft that involves weekly koala blood sacrifice. I may have to try out a set of kit tires on a practice night sometime, if I can find any. They always seem to be the first thing in the trash.

The rest of the current hot setups is really covered over the last few pages - Lighter springs on the front, rear anti-sway bars - they're becoming common ways to deal with the lack of steering you get from stiffer diffs. The only thing I've messed with lately has been adding a load of drag brake. It helps stick the nose down on off-throttle corner entry. EG: Approach the corner, off the throttle, drag brake plants the nose while turning in, coast/half throttle through the remainder of the corner.

Forgot to mention, I am also looking at the Kimbrough heavy duty servo saver as a way to eliminate steering slop. Is this a good choice?
Yes. Very good choice. Depending on chassis, if you get the XL, you may have to shave the corners off of it. Good item to have, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.