Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think the answer to the question of what is legal comes down to 1 paragraph taken straight from the USVTA rules (http://www.usvintagetransam.com/)

MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal. This is called the "Spirit of VTA" Rule. The class is based on slower, equal playing field competition with less traction, minimal aerodynamic aids and mostly older carpet racing technology. The final objective is close, fair, wheel-to-wheel racing for all. All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final.
If you look at the last 2 sentences, it is up to the individual race promotor or track owner to determine how to create close, fair wheel-to-wheel racing for all.

There are different ways to keep things fair. For the Tennessee racers, they are using a speed trap to even out technology. Some tracks have set a slower FDR for the 21.5 cars. Some tracks have used weight penalities for individual drivers. The thing to take from these discussions is that you must find a way to maintain the perception of fairness locally that works well with local racers. There is no one right solution for every facility.

What I find refreshing in all of these discussions is that local racers have taken it upon themselves to keep racing fun for all level of racers. If your local track has lost VTA racers, find out why. See if some of the ideas being used around the country might work at your track.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
iom
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Not trying to pimp something in the wrong thread/area, but check out the following. If anyone is interested PM me.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I think the answer to the question of what is legal comes down to 1 paragraph taken straight from the USVTA rules (http://www.usvintagetransam.com/)

If you look at the last 2 sentences, it is up to the individual race promotor or track owner to determine how to create close, fair wheel-to-wheel racing for all.

There are different ways to keep things fair. For the Tennessee racers, they are using a speed trap to even out technology. Some tracks have set a slower FDR for the 21.5 cars. Some tracks have used weight penalities for individual drivers. The thing to take from these discussions is that you must find a way to maintain the perception of fairness locally that works well with local racers. There is no one right solution for every facility.

What I find refreshing in all of these discussions is that local racers have taken it upon themselves to keep racing fun for all level of racers. If your local track has lost VTA racers, find out why. See if some of the ideas being used around the country might work at your track.
you hit the nail..thanks Brian
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by iom
Not trying to pimp something in the wrong thread/area, but check out the following. If anyone is interested PM me.

Are you selling the whole thing or just the sticker sheet? Or did you just post it for show and tell?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
Awesome find! It's not that much different of a shape than the already-approved 1970 camaro, so I'm going to cross my fingers this body gets the nod of approval in the official rules in short order.
Originally Posted by zake540
Did Smokey and the Bandit race TransAm back in the days?

http://www.rccarkings.net/special%20...tm#newvehicles
don't care got if it gets approved I got mine ordered.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:01 AM
iom
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would prefer to sell them as a set, but I might be able to go either way, body only, sticker only.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I also have a Havoc speedo. Last time I ran the car on indoor carpet, it was fast but I also thermaled. I temped the motor and it was only at 120 degrees, if that. My FDR was right at 4.2 and I was using a 3400 mah, 20c lipo. This was the first time it thermaled since I got it six months ago. I went down one tooth on my pinion (FDR @ 4.3) and it ran fine. It was a little warm inside but I've never had a problem before.

Just wondering -
Should the FDR be raised to accommodate the lower end Esc's?

Just a thought.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CSeils
I also have a Havoc speedo. Last time I ran the car on indoor carpet, it was fast but I also thermaled. I temped the motor and it was only at 120 degrees, if that. My FDR was right at 4.2 and I was using a 3400 mah, 20c lipo. This was the first time it thermaled since I got it six months ago. I went down one tooth on my pinion (FDR @ 4.3) and it ran fine. It was a little warm inside but I've never had a problem before.

Just wondering -
Should the FDR be raised to accommodate the lower end Esc's?

Just a thought.
I don't have a havoc but a local here does and is therminalling on him... and would like to know more about this problem.

Does the havoc come w/ a fan? Are the escs over heating or motors?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by iom
I would prefer to sell them as a set, but I might be able to go either way, body only, sticker only.
Is that your own shell? Did you vac form it yourself? I thought it was the Pegasus body.

If you are able to produce your own shells, put me in for a 71 Trans Am, a Racing Beat 1980 widebody RX-7, and a 1987 Buick GNX.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 06-25-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

No, the Havoc doesn't have a fan but you can add one to it. I didn't check the temp on the speedo. I'll have to check next time it thermals.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Carl, are you running your TA04 in VTA? If so, what are you using for gearing to get down to the low-mid 4's? I'm having a difficult time sourcing pinions of the appropriate size.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, I'm running my TA04:

41/81 = 4.2
41/84 = 4.36
39/81 = 4.42
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shaggy11
last race my havok lasted till the main then thermaled. my gears are 53/88. it lasted half of the main then stopped.
shaggy, do you know if your motor or esc was therminalling? Do you have decent connectors to the battery...deans? Heat sink on the motor? Have you touched the motor timing? ..You racing Sunday? I'd like to help and see if we can't fix it...just not sure if it's pruely the havoc. I prolly got a fan for your esc and motor heak sink...or at a min. drop some on the pinion..I got pinions.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If people are suspecting that their Havoc may need a fan, I bet you can find someone running a GTB that isnt' using their fan. The GTB fan should be a direct bolt on to the Havoc.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm in the process of transforming my car for VTA racing. I'm sure this info might be in the 358 pages but was looking for a quick reply so I can order my motor today. Is the Novak SS21.5 Pro brushless motor the only approved 21.5 motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.