Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Just cut the old tires off with a knife and then clean the rims up with a tire truer and some sand paper.
This only works for foams... not rubber tires.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Does anyone do a manufacturers points championship? I've been doing one unofficially but just wondering how someone might calculate the points. I've been just adding up the points of each car for each race. Gives quite and advantage to the teams with the most cars... maybe that's how it should be just wondering what other places might be doing.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by padailey
Not sure what goop is but I've tried Shoo Goo. Worked for awhile but couldn't outlast the tires so I ended up having to use so CA anyway. So it ended up wasted effort.
Here is a link with a photo of what it looks like....I'm not sure if Shoo Goo and Goop is the exact same product. It comes in the same type tube, and probably made by the same manufacturer....

http://homepage.mac.com/rasprague/Pe...adhesive3.html
Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Does anyone do a manufacturers points championship? I've been doing one unofficially but just wondering how someone might calculate the points. I've been just adding up the points of each car for each race. Gives quite and advantage to the teams with the most cars... maybe that's how it should be just wondering what other places might be doing.

Thanks
that would be a cool thing, but you'd have to get the drivers to comit to run only 1 body for the entire series - ie, I run a mustang now, so I'd use the mustang for the entire series...or else the points would get skewed if someone had a different body each race
Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
that would be a cool thing, but you'd have to get the drivers to comit to run only 1 body for the entire series - ie, I run a mustang now, so I'd use the mustang for the entire series...or else the points would get skewed if someone had a different body each race
That's true but it hasn't been a real big deal so far mostly just adds a little interest over the course of a series. People are starting to get into it a little more which is why I'm trying to figure out the best way to score the points. Example is we had Mopar score 16 podium finishes but only had 3 cars... but Chevy won the points with only 9 podiums but had 6 cars. Probably need some different scoring or Chevy will pretty much always win.

So only score the top 3 finishes? Only score the top 3 (or top 5) finishers of the race? A main finishes?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

While there are some differences in bodies and handling characterics, I think a more interesting points series is a "constructors" or chassis series. This wouldn't limit a racer to a specific body but would be an interesting way to generate some healthy rivaly between different brands and eras of chassis.

For example last Friday at my local track, the top 4 racers were qualified on the same lap within 4 seconds of each other and were as follows:
1. Assoc. TC5
2. Assoc. TC3 (me)
3. Xray
4. Losi JRXS.

I think in R/C racing that people are more loyal to their chassis than a body. I also think that some people would be more willing to drag out an old chassis to earn some bragging rights. I've gotten as much enjoyment out of beating newer cars with my HPI RS4 Sport 2 (with gear diffs) as anything else in this class.

I'm not suggesting that we all run old junk or prevent racers from buying new cars. But I think if you had a point series based on chassis and showed newer/currently inactive racers that you don't have to use the latest and greatest or most expensive to have fun it will help the further success of this class.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What I really love about this class was front and center at the Hurricain race at Trackside last weekend. The top two qualifiers ran the same chassis and it has been out of production for over 7 years.

A well balanced and tuned chassis is as capable at T/A speeds as the newest out there.

Marty
Old 09-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Guy more advice please.

Well I sold my XRAY after I realized it was way more car then I needed for TA.

Just picked up a used TA 05R for $76. Any one running one of these, need set up advice. If I need something, I want to get it coming.

It's basically stock
Old 09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

But for the most part it already is like that.....Around my part of the country the VTA is bringing out both old and new cars and also both old and new drivers.....I have seen them all in the last two months.....The best thing this class has going is the vintage look, being able to run any tc chassis and the mix of combos and FDR that keeps the Field close and intense (as long as you drive clean and smooth).....No matter what chassis you use the main goal is to keep everything freed up and in good condition.....

On another note....dose the 21.5/lipo set up only limit you to using a 2c 7.4 5000mah or can you run 6 cell nimh with the 21.5 motor....asking this to answer a question that just came up locally......Thanks for the help

Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Guy more advice please.

Well I sold my XRAY after I realized it was way more car then I needed for TA.

Just picked up a used TA 05R for $76. Any one running one of these, need set up advice. If I need something, I want to get it coming.

It's basically stock

I run a regular TA05 in sedan, and everything it needed you pretty much already get with the R model, especially at USVTA speeds. What surface are you running on? A typical asphalt starting setup is blue front and yellow rear springs, 60wt. oil front 40wt. rear, 1°-2° front toe out (depending on your needs), 2° rear toe in, 1°-2° negative camber in front (I run 2°), 1° negative camber in the rear, 5mm front ride height and 6mm rear ride height. Everybody does it differently of course, but that will get you going. I also like to run a front spool on asphalt.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

Right On.....414MPH......Well said.....I agree 100%
Old 09-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

TA has been the best breath of fresh air to RC since Tamiya TCS races. and i still havent raced yet. maybe some year.

R
Old 09-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I run a regular TA05 in sedan, and everything it needed you pretty much already get with the R model, especially at USVTA speeds. What surface are you running on? A typical asphalt starting setup is blue front and yellow rear springs, 60wt. oil front 40wt. rear, 1°-2° front toe out (depending on your needs), 2° rear toe in, 1°-2° negative camber in front (I run 2°), 1° negative camber in the rear, 5mm front ride height and 6mm rear ride height. Everybody does it differently of course, but that will get you going. I also like to run a front spool on asphalt.
Thanks for the setup, but I'll be running indoor high grip carpet
Old 09-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

The easiest way is to award "points" only to the relative placing of the top finisher for each mfr. Say your finishing order was:

Camaro
Mustang
Mustang
Camaro
Mustang
'Cuda

Then Chevrolet would get 3 points for the highest finish that day, Mustang woudld get 2 points for the next highest "relative" position among the three, then Plymouth would get 1 point for the third relative placing. The second, third, etc. from each marque don't figure into the equation.

This is, actually, very much how points were kept for the first several years of the TransAm, though I think it was points from the top two placing cars for each mfr and it had to do with actual finishing position. That gets quickly corrupted, though, when you have a dozen Mustangs, half dozen Camaros, and one 'Cuda.

There wasn't a "Driver's Champion" in TransAm until 1971 or so. The preceding years "Champions" that show up in the literature (1966-Horst Kwech/Gaston Andrey[tie], 1967-Jerry Titus, 1968-9 Mark Donohue, 1970-Parnelli Jones) were "named" after the fact by going back to the record books and applying points. None won any sort of "Trans Am Champion" trophy, etc, in the day.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default pink paint for cuda

who has done a panther pink cuda? what paint did you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.