Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I don't mean to open a can of worms and if it does then I'll back off asap but....
In light of the lack of a proper RTR VTA car AND with the idea of getting people interested in VTA at a lower price point.....has anyone thought of offering a VTA Mini class ??? This may be something offered at the club level only but it's an idea. The Tamiya M chassis has been around forever so they're available and parts are easy and cheap. HPI makes the Cup Car bodies (Datsun 240Z, Datsun 510, BMW 2002, Porsche 911) all of which raced in the 2.0 class of TA early 70's.
Make it a can motor class primarily but allow drivers to upgrade to a 25.5 VTA system. Some say the Can motor is faster than a 25.5 so in that case a gearing restriction could be placed. Pretty simple on a M chassis since they're limited anyway.
Entry into the world of VTA could be kept really low if we adopted some of the Tamiya Challenge Series mentality and restricted Hop Ups so that overall costs could be kept low and drivers could consider the M class as a step toward the "Big Iron" or simply stay with M class because they really like it and it's cheap but different enough from the regular VTA class.
Any thoughts and please keep the discussion on track. No need to go ballistic or get rude. If it's a crap idea then we simply drop it. Thanks folks.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Thanks Evo. I do remember that car had a hood that kept going and going. 302 engine I think? Don't remember for sure.
Indy ,I think just about every car made in the late 60's had a Looooong hood and short tail !! No 302's for Mopar though. Thats a Ford number. Most chargers were 383's and 440's, some 426's .I think the base model charger had a 318 and maybe the 340.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
I don't mean to open a can of worms and if it does then I'll back off asap but....
In light of the lack of a proper RTR VTA car AND with the idea of getting people interested in VTA at a lower price point.....has anyone thought of offering a VTA Mini class ??? This may be something offered at the club level only but it's an idea. The Tamiya M chassis has been around forever so they're available and parts are easy and cheap. HPI makes the Cup Car bodies (Datsun 240Z, Datsun 510, BMW 2002, Porsche 911) all of which raced in the 2.0 class of TA early 70's.
Make it a can motor class primarily but allow drivers to upgrade to a 25.5 VTA system. Some say the Can motor is faster than a 25.5 so in that case a gearing restriction could be placed. Pretty simple on a M chassis since they're limited anyway.
Entry into the world of VTA could be kept really low if we adopted some of the Tamiya Challenge Series mentality and restricted Hop Ups so that overall costs could be kept low and drivers could consider the M class as a step toward the "Big Iron" or simply stay with M class because they really like it and it's cheap but different enough from the regular VTA class.
Any thoughts and please keep the discussion on track. No need to go ballistic or get rude. If it's a crap idea then we simply drop it. Thanks folks.
We actually run the Minis along with the VTA class. They run the TCS rules, silver can motor, no aftermarket parts, spec tires, etc... They fit right in, and are a good match for the spec VTA cars. If you know someone that has one, let them drop it on the track during practice, you'll see.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Indy ,I think just about every car made in the late 60's had a Looooong hood and short tail !! No 302's for Mopar though. Thats a Ford number. Most chargers were 383's and 440's, some 426's .I think the base model charger had a 318 and maybe the 340.
Shows you what I know! I just remember it had a decent engine, but nothing to be too proud of at a traffic light. It must have been the 318. That rings a bell.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

R40,,,,well now here's something YOU probably haven't received lately !!
NICELY DONE !!! I didn't realise anyone was doing something like this.
So do you think it helps VTA ?? Do you find most move into regular VTA or do they stay with the Mini's ?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

VTA ROAR rules: I think who ever thought of these rules is corney. To that I mean I think going with a 25.5 motor is poorly thought of. I like the 21.5 motor is slow enough. Also to force people to have numbers on their car and a driver is rediculous! Use the KISS method. Pre 1970's muscle car, 5000mah battery, non advancable speedo and any paint job acceptable with a 21.5 motor. I like the tire specs reqired. I am complaining because if I ever want to race in a ROAR event in FL I will have to do a lot more to my car then I can afford. I want to get into this class so bad. I have a cool painted camaro SS body with flames on it. I would like to race a 427 cobra body to. I have plans on building a VTA car with a GTB speedo and 25.5 balistic motor, 4000mah shorty lipo in a Losi JRXS-R. How hard should the spring set up be and shock oil used?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

then I guess you don't like the full current USVTA rules, huh?

don't like the ROAR rules, fork up the $$ for your membership and bitch at them - don't bring the same old worn out BS about motors and paint and batteries here... we've all heard it and, quite honestly, if yo don't like it then. USVTA ain't for you... the class you wanna run is 17.5 blinky, unless your a 'boost fo' life' kind of guy

in short, give it a rest - we've heard it before and it boring and tiring...

Originally Posted by MasterPlan
VTA ROAR rules: I think who ever thought of these rules is corney. To that I mean I think going with a 25.5 motor is poorly thought of. I like the 21.5 motor is slow enough. Also to force people to have numbers on their car and a driver is rediculous! Use the KISS method. Pre 1970's muscle car, 5000mah battery, non advancable speedo and any paint job acceptable with a 21.5 motor. I like the tire specs reqired. I am complaining because if I ever want to race in a ROAR event in FL I will have to do a lot more to my car then I can afford. I want to get into this class so bad. I have a cool painted camaro SS body with flames on it. I would like to race a 427 cobra body to. I have plans on building a VTA car with a GTB speedo and 25.5 balistic motor, 4000mah shorty lipo in a Losi JRXS-R. How hard should the spring set up be and shock oil used?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

VTA rules clean up:

*No motor modifications-
"No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor. No cooling holes or other changes allowed to motor."

In other words, no dremeling,/grinding/cooling kits etc.

*Bolink bodies updated with RJ Speed part numbers

*Battery specification reduced to "2 cell LiPo hard cased, 5000 mAh limit"
The intent is to open up the options without forcing everyone to go to bigger batteries

USGT
*FWD weight reduction
"4wd 1450g weight Fwd 1200g weight" - FWD cars are very light to start with, and also at a disadvantage to 4wd cars anyway. Let's make this interesting
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Also, track submissions updated. I apologize for my laziness...
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by R40Victim
We actually run the Minis along with the VTA class. They run the TCS rules, silver can motor, no aftermarket parts, spec tires, etc... They fit right in, and are a good match for the spec VTA cars. If you know someone that has one, let them drop it on the track during practice, you'll see.
If it works at your track go for it. Sounds like fun.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

R40,,,,well now here's something YOU probably haven't received lately !!
NICELY DONE !!! I didn't realise anyone was doing something like this.
So do you think it helps VTA ?? Do you find most move into regular VTA or do they stay with the Mini's ?
Well, the demise of on road a few years back has kept at least a few people out of VTA. Add onto that the shaky ground on which our latest program is based, and this is why there aren't many of us in the class so far. There are 3 people with minis. Only one has a VTA car setup. The other two are hesitant to track down a touring car and invest in the setup needed. Part of that hesitation is the rules. The jump from 21.5 to 25.5 has them nervous. The battery limitation is another obstacle. Will we suddenly have to buy even slower motors next year? Another stator, even TALLER gearing?! Will they force some other pointless rule on us? So they will likely just run the minis with us, at least for now.

I like the idea of minis in the mix; because it adds some flavor and is cheaper to get into. The cars are $120, plus they come with a motor and ESC. So all you need is a Rx and steering servo. This is much more appealing then tracking down a used touring chassis, complete 25.5 BL system(unless they already have a non-timing speedo and ballistic series motor, then they just need a $30 stator; but not everyone even likes Novak stuff) and hoping they can still get parts for the old rig they dig up(I'm running an old HPI Pro 4). The Ofna is a decent car, but some people don't like Ofna. There are other cars, but those guys want the better cars. The cheapest competition grade touring chassis from a big, reputable manufacturer is nearly $300. Some of them are $400-$600!

I feel like minis are a nice addition. They fit in well, are inexpensive and fun to drive. Why not have a portion of the class with smaller more economical car to get into it. If enough show up, run them separate. If the turnout is low, throw them together. It's worked very well for us. That's why I suggest other tracks give it a try... couldn't hurt.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Here let me help you:
THE MOTORS ARE NOT CHANGING ANY TIME SOON

This is a pet peeve of mine. It took a long time to get where we are because everything in the rc world changed with the advent of brushless and lipo. The whole point of making the changes we have (25.5 lipo 2s) is so that the basic formula should never have to change in the foreseeable future. Everything previous to that was trying to compensate for the entire racing scene going bananas for like 2 years.

I have posted some small rules changes just now. They do not change any of the basic rules, and should help include more people with simplifying the hard case rule or the RJ Speed/BoLink body #'s. Those are the only type of changes I can see making.

Finally, what really pisses me off is the assumption that I and the people who have helped along the way are total dumbasses who make up rules for no reason. There is no longer an FDR rule. There is only one stator- The one that comes in the motor. If you read the rules, you'll notice there has been very little change since 25.5/ 2s lipo has been introduced. That's because NOTHING IS CHANGING
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

why am I not smiling?....lets drop this before I say something to get ppl mad ...

this is not the place to try and soap box...please dont make yourself a target for the hundreds of loyal USVTA racers, that like, LOVE the class just the way it is...

I believe everybody has an opinion, and are welcome to say/type what they like...but reading some of the things latley sounds more like bashing the class...

Its simple...USVTA or nothing...

It isnt broke, dont try and fix it....

if you have an idea...pm the USVTA
thanks...Battman
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

VTA ROAR rules: I think who ever thought of these rules is corney. To that I mean I think going with a 25.5 motor is poorly thought of. I like the 21.5 motor is slow enough. Also to force people to have numbers on their car and a driver is rediculous!
[...]
I want to get into this class so bad.
I would submit that part of the reason you want to get into this class so bad is because of the very rules you are calling ridiculous! The rules exist to keep the class fun and controlled. The 25.5 is perfect for the tires, the numbers and driver are both fun and in the spirit of recreating Trans-Am racing. Are they die-hard serious? No, not quite, but if you want die-hard serious then there are plenty of classes for that.

Give the rules a chance, get a few guys together to follow the rules and run them, and you will see as many others have that they work better than you realize.

The rules don't stand in the way of the fun....
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wow...just wanted to make sure I read this crap correct...do you even hear what you are saying...

lets start with ROAR....WHO CARES!!!!...this is USVTA...PERIOD!!!...

Novak 25.5's was worked by 3-4 different tracks by USVTA racers to test for over a year...and I was one of them...this even before the motor became a rule...

if you like 21.5's...run USGT...thats the KISS class

Numbers and drivers...looks real to me..FYI..only RC class that requires it..more USGT

Pre 70, battery 21.5...again USGT

Flames Corbra GI Joe...rambling....USGT...

whats your point...you are a lost child at birth....

Run USVTA or get USGT going in your area....but dont come a complaining about things you know nothing about

every rule in the USVTA, took time and testing to get approved...everything from bodies to motors....this class cares...and thats why it has lasted...

Im cool know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.