Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
That's why Myron tells everyone he is running a rusted SS motor with an old pen cap for a rotor, a 7.6 FDR, and 3 AA batteries in his TC3.
Now I like that. Lol but you can't keep giving my secrets away
Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Now I like that. Lol but you can't keep giving my secrets away
Oops!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

You forgot duct taped on wheels and old glass coke bottle top for pinion and spur gears
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I come to your track with a 6500 65 c battery and constantly beat your best racers. And we are all running all under USVTA rules. Are you not going to go out a buy a bigger better battery.
Nope, because it doesn't make a difference.

If I go buy a $150 battery, I promise every VTA racer that can afford it will too. Not because its faster but because it seems faster when driven by the fast guys
They need to have the whole "99% Driver 1% car wins the race" explained to them; in spec classes like this. Once the car is setup so you can drive it, they're so slow that a fat capacity battery is just extra weight. If somebody wants a $200 battery in a class where it means nothing, then by all means support our economy.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

We get it, you want the rules changed. We got it EVERY TIME you said it. You want the latest and greatest.....go buy it. Run where they allow it. There are plenty of batteries to be had within the current rules. I recently bought 3. There is no reason to keep going on and on and on and on and on and on.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
We get it, you want the rules changed. We got it EVERY TIME you said it. You want the latest and greatest.....go buy it. Run where they allow it. There are plenty of batteries to be had within the current rules. I recently bought 3. There is no reason to keep going on and on and on and on and on and on.

what he said ^
Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Don't they call that the "Purple Heat Sink Theory"??

If the fast guy uses a purple heat sink and wins, everyone will have a purple heat sink at the next race?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

From way back in the history of 1:1 racing

"What Wins on Sunday Sells on Monday"
Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pejota

If the fast guy uses a purple heat sink and wins, everyone will have a purple heat sink at the next race?
We used to call the Green Gas Tank theory. Same concept.

I knew there was something I liked about the "Mantle Man"! Builds his stuff to government specs: bend, file, beat to fit, paint to match!
First big car race I ever won I had a gas tank out of a Vega with a piece of copper tubing fiberglassed into the bottom for the fuel pick-up, dune buggy seat with a large pice of heavy guage sheet metal wrapped around my chest on the right side to hold me in, rope tied to the ends of the lap belts, brake system was just metal going for a ride, broke a lower RF ball joint at the white flag while leading the heat race, beat in the only close to fit ball joint the parts truck had, used cardboard tie wire duct tape and a tube to fix the tear in the RF tire, missed the original start but came off pit road jammin gears to catch the complete restart and was at full song when I got to the back of the pack and the green light came on. Stuck it up in the marbles and held on. Old man said I passed 13 cars and was 10th when we got to turn 1. Spent more on the pics than I won that night. Then after the races and had loaded up, a kid from the grandstand wanted to look in the car, stepped on the rim of the trailer tire knocking the valve stem out! Of course the tire truck was already gone. So we came home on 3 tires.
It was April Fools Day and if I hadn't lived it I would swear it was just a bad April Fools joke! 30 plus years later some of the best times going racing I ever had.
Might also be why the wife prefers I race RC cars!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Because there's No Justifiable Reason a person can't run a higher capacity pack. It's not about upgrades in performance, its about allowing more batteries to be used. They are still 2S, and there is no discernible improvement in performance. So why o why would we tell someone trying to get into the class, that the 2S lipo they use in their other RCs is illegal for VTA? If it made any difference at all, it would make sense. It doesn't. I don't understand the need for a that rule.
I'd rather run a 3800 shorty, then get a better balance and adjust my weight bias. A standard 3200 will run a 25.5 at full song pretty much the same pace for over 20 min and still save a ton of weight. I've run the cheapest 3200s I can get my hands on for racing due to lower weight for my TC3s. I'm not knocking what you say. Let the new guy run whatever locally to start. Eventually they'll see the extra weight, extra capacity and extra C are all just an illusion. Then, they'll get in spec, learn to tune, learn to drive and give out the hurt to the next new guy in town.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Geno-Machino
We used to call the Green Gas Tank theory. Same concept.

I knew there was something I liked about the "Mantle Man"! Builds his stuff to government specs: bend, file, beat to fit, paint to match!
First big car race I ever won I had a gas tank out of a Vega with a piece of copper tubing fiberglassed into the bottom for the fuel pick-up, dune buggy seat with a large pice of heavy guage sheet metal wrapped around my chest on the right side to hold me in, rope tied to the ends of the lap belts, brake system was just metal going for a ride, broke a lower RF ball joint at the white flag while leading the heat race, beat in the only close to fit ball joint the parts truck had, used cardboard tie wire duct tape and a tube to fix the tear in the RF tire, missed the original start but came off pit road jammin gears to catch the complete restart and was at full song when I got to the back of the pack and the green light came on. Stuck it up in the marbles and held on. Old man said I passed 13 cars and was 10th when we got to turn 1. Spent more on the pics than I won that night. Then after the races and had loaded up, a kid from the grandstand wanted to look in the car, stepped on the rim of the trailer tire knocking the valve stem out! Of course the tire truck was already gone. So we came home on 3 tires.
It was April Fools Day and if I hadn't lived it I would swear it was just a bad April Fools joke! 30 plus years later some of the best times going racing I ever had.
Might also be why the wife prefers I race RC cars!

Cant't make this stuff up!!! Love it.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota

I still have an old one floating around in my pit box, some dude gave it to me years ago. Must have tested the theory and then failed....
Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I'd rather run a 3800 shorty, then get a better balance and adjust my weight bias. A standard 3200 will run a 25.5 at full song pretty much the same pace for over 20 min and still save a ton of weight. I've run the cheapest 3200s I can get my hands on for racing due to lower weight for my TC3s. I'm not knocking what you say. Let the new guy run whatever locally to start. Eventually they'll see the extra weight, extra capacity and extra C are all just an illusion. Then, they'll get in spec, learn to tune, learn to drive and give out the hurt to the next new guy in town.
That's my point. Why enforce a pointless rule that merely excludes people. We want this class to grow, and allowing noobs to use whatever 150C 10,000 mah pack they want will help do that.

And just for F.M.

The 5000 mah limit is pointless, and should be abolished. Go fly a plane! I still have the video of you trying to fly that piece of junk you brought to the Eglin Aeromodler's Field a few years ago:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

wow such a debate over Mah. The reason why I asked was because I got a turnigy 5.2 30-40c discharge 5200 mah. for the price it was cheap and for me at the time close to what I needed.

I mean if I need to 5000 or lower it is not a hug deal. Dino is attempting to hook me up with some links. for my MI one I beat dome higher Mah batteries at the Hobby town race. Larger engines as well. Dark I am looking into the music city thing but with work getting in the way it may not happen. Local is about all I can do ATm and Dino is and always be my favorite club to be at.

The hobbytown thing is for the hell of it when I want to show people what a true rules car can really do.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Although I'd really like to see this whole discussion go away, I have to ask one question.
Is the newbie buying a big mah, high c, big dollar pack because he/she really WANTS one or are they buying them because of the PERCEPTION that they're necessary ?? Generally, I think we can all agree that it's the perception of necessity that guides far to many new drivers......and that my friend is why we should stick with the limits. Those same drivers are usually the ones we see bail out of the hobby quickly. Primarily because the perceived needs don't provide them the gratification they expect and then the whole thing seems like a money pit.
Seen it all to many times running our club.

Sorry dave ...I was writing while you were posting. This debate is nothing new. It's happened in almost every class for various different reasons. If it's not batteries it's something else. There's always going to be those that simply can't find the joy or want 1 little rc car to be able to run every class or satisfy every need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.