Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Is there a website I can find starting point set ups for tc5s for vta? I see the factory team drive sheets online but I'm curious what you guys w/ tc5s are doing for set up on tc5s. I'm new to onroad, the tc5 AND vta . I'm just trying to get a good starting point. The car I purchased has an ITF top plate on it if that matters. I'm trying to find write ups on how and when to mess w/ the itf plate, the orings, etc. and also position of the diff in both height and rotation and what is affected when I do. I've read the xray book but it doens't get much into diff height and belt tension and it's affects.

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Is there a website I can find starting point set ups for tc5s for vta? I see the factory team drive sheets online but I'm curious what you guys w/ tc5s are doing for set up on tc5s. I'm new to onroad, the tc5 AND vta . I'm just trying to get a good starting point. The car I purchased has an ITF top plate on it if that matters. I'm trying to find write ups on how and when to mess w/ the itf plate, the orings, etc. and also position of the diff in both height and rotation and what is affected when I do. I've read the xray book but it doens't get much into diff height and belt tension and it's affects.

Thanks
Dave

I have a TC5 also and was told by a few people to run the rubber tire set up and adjust to driving style from there.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
I have a TC5 also and was told by a few people to run the rubber tire set up and adjust to driving style from there.
Thank you. This may be a dumb questions but do you know if the FT and the T5R/F have differnet diff cams? Some of the cams I have have 16 positions, others just have 8. I'm confused on what I should be using as position A11 isn't available on those 8 position cams.

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Thank you. This may be a dumb questions but do you know if the FT and the T5R/F have differnet diff cams? Some of the cams I have have 16 positions, others just have 8. I'm confused on what I should be using as position A11 isn't available on those 8 position cams.

Thanks
Dave
no i honestly dont know the difference sorry
Old 05-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks
Dave
8 position cams are old. The new ones have 16. We used to dremel extra notches in the old cams to get more adjustment. The designation is not FT or R or F, they just made a running change.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Can you explain if each adds or reduces understeer, oversteer, etc. on or off power, etc?

Thanks
Dave
Typically, it works like this:

Diff - mostly balanced throughout the turn.
Spool - understeer off power (entering the turn) but better grip coming out (pulls like a mutha)
One-way - oversteer off power (bad - entering the turn) but locks up coming out (basically becomes (mostly) a spool on power)

Spool is more controllable, but be ready for your adjustments to be almost backwards to what you're expecting. Take a look at John Stranahan's discussion of the TC4 with a spool on it - he goes into the physics of the whole deal. It's quite interesting.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i run the rubber tire setup..and its good starting point
Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boomer
Typically, it works like this:

Diff - mostly balanced throughout the turn.
Spool - understeer off power (entering the turn) but better grip coming out (pulls like a mutha)
One-way - oversteer off power (bad - entering the turn) but locks up coming out (basically becomes (mostly) a spool on power)

Spool is more controllable, but be ready for your adjustments to be almost backwards to what you're expecting. Take a look at John Stranahan's discussion of the TC4 with a spool on it - he goes into the physics of the whole deal. It's quite interesting.
Where do you think a slipper spool fits in there? I've got that up front now and my rear diff is backed off about 1/2 turn. I've got a slight oversteer while just getting on power while turning right. Doesn't seem to do it going left which is odd. Nothing appears tweaked either..

Dave
Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Default 2011 USVAT SOUTHERN NATIONALS IN MUSIC CITY,USA

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...-city-usa.html

THUNDER RC Presents
2011 USVTA Southern Nationals in
Music City USA

DATE:
Sept 23-25th, 2011

PLACE:
Thunder RC Raceway 810 Cherokee Ave Nashville, TN 37207

TROPHY: 1ST-5TH Amain 1st in lower mains and TQ

RULES:
FULL USVTA AND USGT
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

ENTRY: $30 first class, $15 second class
CLASSES:
____VTA
____USGT
____BONUS CLASS: 17.5 ROAR STOCK SPEC TC on JACO BLUES, 1ST-3RD TROPHY ,$25 ENTRY

Web info:
http://www.thunderrcraceway.com/

Prizes:
concourse & random door drawing

Sponsors:
KRC,HPI,NOVAK,NASHRCREACER.COM,RISK SCIENCES

pre-register by August 28 and receive a FREE gift

Name_______________________________Nickname_______ ______________________

Address________________________________ City, State,

Zip_______________________

Phone________________________Email________________ _______________________

Transponder#1_____________________#2______________ ______#3_______________

Total Classes and amount: #________________________$________________________ _

SEND ENTRY TO: KRC, PO BOX 70779 NASHVILLE, TN 37207

MORE INFO CALL 615-851-1876 ASK FOR MYRON
Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Where do you think a slipper spool fits in there? I've got that up front now and my rear diff is backed off about 1/2 turn. I've got a slight oversteer while just getting on power while turning right. Doesn't seem to do it going left which is odd. Nothing appears tweaked either..

Dave
Slipper spool if properly adjusted works just like a regular spool but is able to give a little in a hit to protect the drivetrain. Properly adjusted there is no diff action in the slipper.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Slipper spool if properly adjusted works just like a regular spool but is able to give a little in a hit to protect the drivetrain. Properly adjusted there is no diff action in the slipper.
This!

The only reason for a slipper as opposed to a fully locked diff (or spool) is that it gives a place to "give".

If you hit something or something happens that makes one wheel want to abruptly change speed (i.e. stop LOL), something needs to give. If everything is absolutely locked (i.e. solid or locked diff) then the weakest link is going to BREAK or BEND (i.e. bad) but if we give a place that can slip under much more extreme than normal circumstances, we get a good spool under normal circumstances, but it gives instead of breaking. . . which is good. It saves your axles - typically it's either the U-joints or the out-drives that break on an impact. . .

I know some guys who use sandpaper placed instead of balls in their diffs - this locks up nicely, but you can loosen it just a touch and it works just like a slipper.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Can the LHS order the program Novak VTA material or does that have to happen through the Novak online store?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Can the LHS order the program Novak VTA material or does that have to happen through the Novak online store?
We have a dealer direct program for the USVTA-specific items that we do not offer through distribution, Links to app here:

USVTA Dealer Application
Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Roger that. Thank you.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Darkside

Is that indoors or out. Was looking for an excuse to come to Nashville.

chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.