Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
I am hoping they do that around here, too. With the economy the way it is I find $90 for a motor hard to take right now. just adjust the gearibg and run the 21.5 s and 25.5s together.
Ok, just so you guys know Novak is working with us if you want to exchange motors

Example (EXCHANGE): Trade in SS Pro Spec 21.5 for a SS Pro Spec 25.5 for $46

OR

Example (UPGRADE): Trade in SS Pro Spec 21.5 for a Ballistic Spec 25.5 for $69

http://www.teamnovak.com/cs/web_opti...dex_motor.html

25.5 Stators for the Ballistic motors if you have one are about $35
Old 09-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or, you can hang on to your 21.5 knowing that it's only a matter of time before 21.5 is the new standard for stock classes
Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bob o
Also about adding weight to slow them down;
The current Chicagoland Asphalt Assault VTA winner, who is also last years Hurrican series VTA winner, and the winner of the 2010 VTA nationals was using a TC5 that is 8 grams over the NEW WEIGHT regulation. So I am not buying into the more weight = slower car concept. We found that the car handled BETTER with the additional weight.
Bob O
Originally Posted by robk
Bob is correct. When evaluating the new rules, I kept putting weight on the cars and they got better.
Which is exactly what we ran into the first year we ran VTA here. We instituted a handicapping system where folks got weight "penalties" added based on performance in previous races. Turns out the added weight kept improving the performance up to a ridiculous amount of weight...like over a pound. Needless to say, the handicap system didn't work out as well as we'd hoped.

The neat thing, though, is that the cars are more driveable...THAT'S why they turn faster laps.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

I think we are all finding out, that there realy is no true differance from 21.5 to 25.5, it just seems there is more low end que out of the 21.5, but we seem to run equal top speeds!
I ran with a fellow racer lastnight who decided to put the 25.5 in and it seemed pretty fair, we ran identical batteries and both abided by the gearing spek!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

And what gearing spec would that be for the 25.5?

And the same top end but more bottom end means an advantage to the motor with more bottom end...stringing together the infield turns. What you're identifying is the bugaboo that sank the "equivalency" between brushed 4-cell original spec VTA and the 2s 21.5 spec. Gearing limitation on the later kept top speed the same, but the tighter the infield the more advantage the newer spec had due to significantly more "poke" off the turns.

Equivalency formulas rarely (if ever} work as equally as their creators hope (or try to believe).
Old 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
Or, you can hang on to your 21.5 knowing that it's only a matter of time before 21.5 is the new standard for stock classes
That's my plan LOL
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC-ProSpeed
64 pitch... You cN try with the 81 / 50 and 81/53 from Robinson Racing

You will need to cut the webbing in the chassis right below the pinion.
Thanks dude....
Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Company Representative

We updated our gearing chart and added the 25.5 T motor:

BRUSHLESS MOTOR GEARING RECOMMENDATIONS

I don't know if our upcoming NovaGear App will be helpful for your racing, or not.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We updated our gearing chart and added the 25.5 T motor:

BRUSHLESS MOTOR GEARING RECOMMENDATIONS

I don't know if our upcoming NovaGear App will be helpful for your racing, or not.
I really appreciate your participation in our discussions and willingness to share information that keeps us on track. I think it probably sells more Novak product than most advertising campaigns. Since you probably know more about the 21.5 and 25.5 motors than anyone, would you care to comment on our attempts to run these together via FDR limits. Our track has adopted 4.9 for 21.5 and 4.0 for 25.5. The math works out for similar top speeds but this does not take torque curves into account. Our first race of the season is a week from today so it isn't too late to revisit these numbers if you think we can tweak them a little to make them better.

Thanks again, Your support to this class is a big part of what makes it so much fun.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Default Tekin RS ESC

What's the recommended set-up for a Tekin ESC? 21.5 and 25.5
Old 09-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bubblehead
A Novak, LRP, or Speed Passions ESC that is on the list (sorry couldn't resist ). Only the specific speed controls listed in the rules are allowed (at the National level). If you are running local club races and they are allowing the Tekin at your track, use the zero timing and zero Advanced Profile signified by blinking red LED when in neutral (not sure what the current software revision number is).
Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If for some reason it's legal where you are to run one, you need to have V208 firmware installed, and then select Timing Profile 1. You do not need the Hotwire PC interface to do so -- just follow the instructions for how to engage TP1.

When TP1 is selected, the center LED on the ESC will flash constantly (except for a brief appearance from the temp LED every 5 seconds) to make it easy to tech.

In this mode, the Tekin uses absolutely zero timing advance, boost, turbo, etc. and is exactly equivalent to any of the approved ESCs.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by reenmachine
If for some reason it's legal where you are to run one, you need to have V208 firmware installed, and then select Timing Profile 1. You do not need the Hotwire PC interface to do so -- just follow the instructions for how to engage TP1.

When TP1 is selected, the center LED on the ESC will flash constantly (except for a brief appearance from the temp LED every 5 seconds) to make it easy to tech.

In this mode, the Tekin uses absolutely zero timing advance, boost, turbo, etc. and is exactly equivalent to any of the approved ESCs.
Thanks, selecting TP1 using Hotwire I should be good to go?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks, selecting TP1 using Hotwire I should be good to go?
Yes, exactly. Just confirm that the center LED on the ESC is constantly flashing when powered up and ready to run and you're good to go.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Company Representative

We appreciate the support of the USVTA drivers and hobby dealers!

Any questions about gearing and FDR should be emailed to [email protected]---they are Novak's car experts.

Originally Posted by woodys3b
I really appreciate your participation in our discussions and willingness to share information that keeps us on track. I think it probably sells more Novak product than most advertising campaigns. Since you probably know more about the 21.5 and 25.5 motors than anyone, would you care to comment on our attempts to run these together via FDR limits. Our track has adopted 4.9 for 21.5 and 4.0 for 25.5. The math works out for similar top speeds but this does not take torque curves into account. Our first race of the season is a week from today so it isn't too late to revisit these numbers if you think we can tweak them a little to make them better.

Thanks again, Your support to this class is a big part of what makes it so much fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.