R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #9211
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,587
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14 View Post
I am hoping they do that around here, too. With the economy the way it is I find $90 for a motor hard to take right now. just adjust the gearibg and run the 21.5 s and 25.5s together.
Ok, just so you guys know Novak is working with us if you want to exchange motors

Example (EXCHANGE): Trade in SS Pro Spec 21.5 for a SS Pro Spec 25.5 for $46

OR

Example (UPGRADE): Trade in SS Pro Spec 21.5 for a Ballistic Spec 25.5 for $69

http://www.teamnovak.com/cs/web_opti...dex_motor.html

25.5 Stators for the Ballistic motors if you have one are about $35
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #9212
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 289
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Or, you can hang on to your 21.5 knowing that it's only a matter of time before 21.5 is the new standard for stock classes
woodys3b is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #9213
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob o View Post
Also about adding weight to slow them down;
The current Chicagoland Asphalt Assault VTA winner, who is also last years Hurrican series VTA winner, and the winner of the 2010 VTA nationals was using a TC5 that is 8 grams over the NEW WEIGHT regulation. So I am not buying into the more weight = slower car concept. We found that the car handled BETTER with the additional weight.
Bob O
Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Bob is correct. When evaluating the new rules, I kept putting weight on the cars and they got better.
Which is exactly what we ran into the first year we ran VTA here. We instituted a handicapping system where folks got weight "penalties" added based on performance in previous races. Turns out the added weight kept improving the performance up to a ridiculous amount of weight...like over a pound. Needless to say, the handicap system didn't work out as well as we'd hoped.

The neat thing, though, is that the cars are more driveable...THAT'S why they turn faster laps.
__________________
Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #9214
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,067
Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jw_petras09
Default

I think we are all finding out, that there realy is no true differance from 21.5 to 25.5, it just seems there is more low end que out of the 21.5, but we seem to run equal top speeds!
I ran with a fellow racer lastnight who decided to put the 25.5 in and it seemed pretty fair, we ran identical batteries and both abided by the gearing spek!
jw_petras09 is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #9215
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

And what gearing spec would that be for the 25.5?

And the same top end but more bottom end means an advantage to the motor with more bottom end...stringing together the infield turns. What you're identifying is the bugaboo that sank the "equivalency" between brushed 4-cell original spec VTA and the 2s 21.5 spec. Gearing limitation on the later kept top speed the same, but the tighter the infield the more advantage the newer spec had due to significantly more "poke" off the turns.

Equivalency formulas rarely (if ever} work as equally as their creators hope (or try to believe).
__________________
Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #9216
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 272
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Or, you can hang on to your 21.5 knowing that it's only a matter of time before 21.5 is the new standard for stock classes
That's my plan LOL
__________________
J. Barton
Associated B5M
Associated RC8B3E
smokefan is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #9217
Tech Regular
 
revo523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOLA!
Posts: 466
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-ProSpeed View Post
64 pitch... You cN try with the 81 / 50 and 81/53 from Robinson Racing

You will need to cut the webbing in the chassis right below the pinion.
Thanks dude....
__________________
Xray T2 009 EU Tekin RS PRO Novak 13.5 SMC 5200
Team Magic G4JS O.S.12 skyline 12plus
Spektrum DX3S

What came first the chicken or the egg?
revo523 is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #9218
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

We updated our gearing chart and added the 25.5 T motor:

BRUSHLESS MOTOR GEARING RECOMMENDATIONS


I don't know if our upcoming NovaGear App will be helpful for your racing, or not.
NovakTwo is offline  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #9219
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 289
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
We updated our gearing chart and added the 25.5 T motor:

BRUSHLESS MOTOR GEARING RECOMMENDATIONS


I don't know if our upcoming NovaGear App will be helpful for your racing, or not.
I really appreciate your participation in our discussions and willingness to share information that keeps us on track. I think it probably sells more Novak product than most advertising campaigns. Since you probably know more about the 21.5 and 25.5 motors than anyone, would you care to comment on our attempts to run these together via FDR limits. Our track has adopted 4.9 for 21.5 and 4.0 for 25.5. The math works out for similar top speeds but this does not take torque curves into account. Our first race of the season is a week from today so it isn't too late to revisit these numbers if you think we can tweak them a little to make them better.

Thanks again, Your support to this class is a big part of what makes it so much fun.
woodys3b is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #9220
Tech Addict
 
Bubblehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 708
Default Tekin RS ESC

What's the recommended set-up for a Tekin ESC? 21.5 and 25.5
Bubblehead is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #9221
Tech Addict
 
GP40X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 720
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
What's the recommended set-up for a Tekin ESC? 21.5 and 25.5
A Novak, LRP, or Speed Passions ESC that is on the list (sorry couldn't resist ). Only the specific speed controls listed in the rules are allowed (at the National level). If you are running local club races and they are allowing the Tekin at your track, use the zero timing and zero Advanced Profile signified by blinking red LED when in neutral (not sure what the current software revision number is).
__________________
Bill
"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
Team Qik
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #9222
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
What's the recommended set-up for a Tekin ESC? 21.5 and 25.5
If for some reason it's legal where you are to run one, you need to have V208 firmware installed, and then select Timing Profile 1. You do not need the Hotwire PC interface to do so -- just follow the instructions for how to engage TP1.

When TP1 is selected, the center LED on the ESC will flash constantly (except for a brief appearance from the temp LED every 5 seconds) to make it easy to tech.

In this mode, the Tekin uses absolutely zero timing advance, boost, turbo, etc. and is exactly equivalent to any of the approved ESCs.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #9223
Tech Addict
 
Bubblehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
If for some reason it's legal where you are to run one, you need to have V208 firmware installed, and then select Timing Profile 1. You do not need the Hotwire PC interface to do so -- just follow the instructions for how to engage TP1.

When TP1 is selected, the center LED on the ESC will flash constantly (except for a brief appearance from the temp LED every 5 seconds) to make it easy to tech.

In this mode, the Tekin uses absolutely zero timing advance, boost, turbo, etc. and is exactly equivalent to any of the approved ESCs.
Thanks, selecting TP1 using Hotwire I should be good to go?
Bubblehead is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #9224
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
Thanks, selecting TP1 using Hotwire I should be good to go?
Yes, exactly. Just confirm that the center LED on the ESC is constantly flashing when powered up and ready to run and you're good to go.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #9225
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

We appreciate the support of the USVTA drivers and hobby dealers!

Any questions about gearing and FDR should be emailed to [email protected]---they are Novak's car experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
I really appreciate your participation in our discussions and willingness to share information that keeps us on track. I think it probably sells more Novak product than most advertising campaigns. Since you probably know more about the 21.5 and 25.5 motors than anyone, would you care to comment on our attempts to run these together via FDR limits. Our track has adopted 4.9 for 21.5 and 4.0 for 25.5. The math works out for similar top speeds but this does not take torque curves into account. Our first race of the season is a week from today so it isn't too late to revisit these numbers if you think we can tweak them a little to make them better.

Thanks again, Your support to this class is a big part of what makes it so much fun.
NovakTwo is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Georgia Vintage Trans Am Racing shadow102 Georgia Racing 725 02-24-2012 09:56 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Thursday Vintage Trans Am racing at Victory in Green Bay Brian F Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 13 05-10-2008 08:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:46 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net