Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Need some help from the assembled Losi-Masters.

One of our racers here has a XXX-S that he's been running in our "Club-Spec" VTA which still mandates 4-cell / 27T stock. He wants to "up-rate" it to LiPo / 21.5 for an out of town race we're attending next month. We have pretty much run out of ideas for getting a LiPo wedged in there.

Any suggestions? What LiPo and how. Preference would be to NOT have to build the car around the battery...

Thanks in advance!!

I've been running a RTR XXX-S VTA for over a year now, had a HobbyKing 4000, Orion 3200 and a Losi 5000 in it. The rounded packs work better. If you HAVE to run the bigger brick packs (Losi 5000) you'll need to shim the battery posts up (3 #4 washers if I remember right) and dremel the chassis a bit (square out the area between the sidewall and the bottom of the battery area. There are little ribs /fillets for strength that prevent the brick battery from setting flat against the chassis. A round pack make life easier.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

i had the same problem with a JRX-S Pro. The smallest ROAR approve lipo i could find is a ProTek 3800mAh 30C lipo.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved

What i did was make a "Model" of the specs (Dimensions (WxLxH): 44 x 133 x 20mm (23.5mm including humps)

hope this helps some.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Are you using one of those Orion or similar shaped packs with the "Nimh" bumps on it, or a 5000 Mah brick?
Tried both. I have a couple new SMC 'bricks" which weren't even close just trying to fit it up into the slot, plus the wires come out of the top rather than out the side like the earlier SMC packs were. Tried the Orion too, if we shaved the bumps off one (concern there is that likely "voids" ROAR-approval) end I think it would go up in there.

Originally Posted by C&B RC
I've been running a RTR XXX-S VTA for over a year now, had a HobbyKing 4000, Orion 3200 and a Losi 5000 in it. The rounded packs work better. If you HAVE to run the bigger brick packs (Losi 5000) you'll need to shim the battery posts up (3 #4 washers if I remember right) and dremel the chassis a bit (square out the area between the sidewall and the bottom of the battery area. There are little ribs /fillets for strength that prevent the brick battery from setting flat against the chassis. A round pack make life easier.
Makes me think we're talking about a different chassis. Can't just shim the posts up on this one. The top plate/spine/whatever sits on top of four posts to the sides, but it fits up underneath the aluminum bulkheads that support (iir) the diff in back and the layshaft/spur and motor in front. If you shim up the posts you'd need to shim EVERYTHING up, if you just shimmed the posts you'd have that top plate/spine bowed up. Alternatively you could mill the tabs down that the plate screws to in the bulkheads but the cost to do so would be WAY more than the car is worth.

Also, if you've made the Orion work in your chassis it must be different. I looked at where the bullet connector holes for the Orion would end up and, even if you COULD get it in there, the holes line up immediately below those tabs from the bulkheads where the plate bolts up. Holes covered, unless you run the wires out and under the batter but we couldn't see how THAT would be done without running the ride height way up.

Help me Mr. Wizzard!!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

incase it is a JRX-S pro here is the mods i have done so far. I did a little grinding on the batt tray but not much.

Last edited by bigshow4u; 01-14-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Tech Champion

That is EXACTLY the chassis we're dealing with!!

You should edit your post (and click the "go advanced" button) to re-orient your pics vertically rather than horizontally, but THANKS.

Have you actually installed the battery yet or just the wooden mock-up?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

i don't have the battery yet but i did make the wood model 1mm larger that the actual lipo. I made another model that is the same size and has rounded edges as the battery does and there is plenty of room even though the plugs for the battery are on the top. there is enough room to make an L shape adapter to fit the +/- battery term and place a piece of rubber between the battery posts and the chassis.

tried to redo the pics but not sure how! LOL

as soon as i get the batteries and do the "final fit" i am going to make a thread just for this car mod. Just in case there are others out there with the same problem.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Addict

Completely different animal. xxx-s battery is on one side not center mounted and has strap that runs lengthwise down the middle. Glad Bigshow came through with the mod
Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bigshow4u
as soon as i get the batteries and do the "final fit" i am going to make a thread just for this car mod. Just in case there are others out there with the same problem.
When do you expect to have the batteries?

Would REALLY like to see pics with them installed...not as sure as you are about clearance, etc for the electrical connections and the insulation HAS to be excellent because a shorted LiPo is a sure fire fire.

Many thanks, I'm sure others like my buddy are fighting this same fight and appreciate your resourcefulness and willingness to lead the way.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

DRIVER FIGURES and INTERIORS!!

Okee dokee. My McAllister stock car interior arrived late last week and it will work GREAT. Including shipping from direct from McAllister it was about $22 and with painting could be used pretty much as-is. It is HUGE but it was really made to have a fair bit trimmed away to fit lots of different cars. This piece has it's origins back (WAY back) in the '80's when we had 235mm stock car bodies we ran (sometimes) on our 1/10 pan cars.

I will HIGHLY recommend this product. I'll contact Bob Stormer and see if he can order some in so folks can combine shipping with other RC needs.

ALSO I stopped by the local Toys R Us with the little vac-formed helmet from the McAllister interior in-hand to see if they had a "figure" who's head would work inside for improved detail. As expected Barbies, etc are really WAY too big to be appropriate scale...unless Barbie and Ken are 8-ish foot tall monsters. Their heads were WAY too big to fit in the helmet shell which looks pretty good, scale-wise.

TRU had a rack of wrestling "action figures" and some other sports figures that were all somewhat smaller than the Barbies (et al) and looked to be a pretty good size. They all list price in the $13-20 range but there were several in a nearby location that had clearance prices of $3.50-10. I grabbed one of the $3.50 ones (Mr. Kennedy from the WWF Royal Rumble series) and took him home. Here's a pic of him with my VTA car for size comparison...he's pretty damn good. In fact I just measured him up and he's almost exactly 7" tall, which scales up to 70" (5'10"). As they'd say at McDonalds..."I'm Lovin' It"

And another pic of him with the helmet on.

If someone REALLY wanted to go to town I can see cutting him off below the armpits, having wifey sew him a little driver's suit (maybe scale down a doll clothes pattern...they still make those I think) and pose him in the car. He even has a "grip" like he'd be holding a steering wheel. He's a bit muscle-bound so can't get his hands close enough together but I think if I trim a little away from the sides of his chest where his massive biceps hit (or trim away at his massive biceps...this dude has been SERIOUSLY hittin' the plastic steroids!!) he could look pretty sharp mounted up in the cockpit of a car.

Anyway, that's what I've found. I'm not going to rush to get anything done, maybe just putter away this spring and have something ready for Fall.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

well i have to wait till i get my taxes back before i can get the batteries. I am ordering a BUNCH of stuff and it will save me $$ to have everything shipped at the same time.

Here is a photo of the same size battery model and 14G Wire. Now there would be more space when it is soldered onto a Banana plug. The +/- ports are on the very corner's of the battery too so that will create a little space to.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

anybody coming to Cincy to the NEGS?....
Old 01-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
anybody coming to Cincy to the NEGS?....
Mr. Rob King, should be on his way this afternoon.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That is Mr .ROB KING - current Novak USVTA Champion without glasses...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

it would be funny as hell if it were a Mr.T doll!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

not really sure how to post pics but i will try . . .$96.00, you send them your pic and they make a driver figure with your head on it, 6-9" tall . . . . fundeliverdotcom, they sell them for cake toppers but ??
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-driver.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.