Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by padailey
We've done a couple VTA enduros... great fun. We had a mandatory tire change in there also.

sounds good, but I'd rather see it based on laps instead of time. ...the 'whatever' 200, 300, 500 etc. First team to *00 wins. We let our local discussion die...and need to bring this back to life.

You actually wearing out the tires or just putting in the tire change just to do it/make it more interesting?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You could always make an endurance race a lap event AND a timed event just in case the event takes longer than expected. Set a layout and determine an average lap time. Lets say the average lap is 15 seconds (on a big track). You should be turning 4 laps per minute or 240 laps an hour. Set the race for 300 laps or 1 1/2 hours or which ever comes first. This will give the drivers some extra time for pit stops and car repair, but will set an expectation for how long the event will be. I think one of the things that kills endurance racing in electric is not knowing how many minutes the race will be.

The more information you can provide your racers about the endurance race, the better the turn-out. Here is some info I would provide if I were organizing this type of event.

- Estimated number of laps or time you could run on a lipo battery.
This helps racers determine if they have to borrow batteries. If you let racers know that they can run 20 minutes on a single charge or xx number of laps, they will see that they really don't need that many extra batteries to compete.

- Estimated time to charge a lipo battery.
This helps the budget racers see that they might be able to get away with running as few as 2 lipo batteries

----------

Since pit stops were mentioned, you might consider tire only or battery only pits stops. Driver changes also make things interesting.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
We've run together some. I prefer clean racing and hope you got that impression. If battman is running, that is out the window! j/k

I don't promote it but it's a good skill to have depending on who you are racing! lol.
Oh yeah! I know that you prefer it clean. Most of us would rather it be that way. My memory isnt all that, but Im reasonably conifdent that we have run together. Even though I have only been to Skeens' ahem Dirlas track the one time.

Have you ever run at Coopers on the Mt Eagle exit?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You actually wearing out the tires or just putting in the tire change just to do it/make it more interesting?
Mostly just to add something to the mix. You can use the same tires.... we mark them and if you just swap side to side that's fine. However most don't use their best tires because they do get some wear (we use one car). So the old tires usually are a little ballooned so from picking up crap, to glazed over, to overheated it does help some to get fresher rubber on the car. But like I said its mostly to add a little twist to the race.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Oh yeah! I know that you prefer it clean. Most of us would rather it be that way. My memory isnt all that, but Im reasonably conifdent that we have run together. Even though I have only been to Skeens' ahem Dirlas track the one time.

Have you ever run at Coopers on the Mt Eagle exit?
I came down w/ Dirla the last race Cooper had....about a year ago. I thought we raced together at thunder once, it was close/good race and you won.

thanks for the input on the Enduro racing. Our outdoor season is starting this weekend and we expect to pick up alot of new racers..the outdoor track is alot more 'visible' to the public... then I'll get Darkside/Battman on PR/Event duties.

...you guys allowing 'extra' pit crew outside the Driver, pitman, marshal? someone to help the pitman?... like a battery beoch? lol.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

thanks for the input on the Enduro racing. Our outdoor season is starting this weekend and we expect to pick up alot of new racers..the outdoor track is alot more 'visible' to the public... then I'll get Darkside/Battman on PR/Event duties.

...you guys allowing 'extra' pit crew outside the Driver, pitman, marshal? someone to help the pitman?... like a battery beoch? lol.
We really haven't had anyone try an extra person. Our rules kinda evolve from what people try at the enduros. We like to keep the rules to a minimum so guys will try different stuff. We've had guys stack extra batteries in their car, and close to your point had one team that had a guy drive the whole race so the other 2 pitted or marshalled. We installed a rule that everyone had to drive a certain amount of time after that one. We've had a TA enduro where the winner took over the lead in the last few laps and a Mini enduro that was decided by .2 sec!! It's definitely a fun change of pace. The challenge here is getting enough teams. We used to run three cars and just switch the bodies and transponder but it was easier to get teams running one car. That way we could draw on some others that may not have a car for the class but can help with the driving. The trick is getting a car setup fairly neutral setup wise so different driving styles can still get around the track without breaking!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

lots of input...Im going to copy and paste some of these on our forum...thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

I came down w/ Dirla the last race Cooper had....about a year ago. I thought we raced together at thunder once, it was close/good race and you won.
Sounds accurate up until the point when I won. I took my Serpent home in a bag. That cinderblock wall is hell on the S400 CVD's. Especially when you cartwheel into it. So no win for me. I did have fun though. I really liked the Nashville crew.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Rookie

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... more pics more pics more pics lol.... I'll post my car in a few
Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 AM
Tech Champion

here you go...this was made just for bodies...cya and enjoy

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post5745075
Old 04-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

cool the memphis track banned adjustable timing speedos from the TA class!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
cool the memphis track banned adjustable timing speedos from the TA class!
Careful what you wish for. The more this kinda of crap happens and people have to spend MORE money to replace stuff they have, the more people will say f- it no more VTA for me.

My track does that, it loses me and my son.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

VTA is gona turn into a Open class because Novak,LRP, Ect are gona come out with a even better speedo or a even more powerful motor and since there are no rules saying what kind of speedo you can run and so far the only rules is the SS21.5 Novak so someone is gona find somthing that is just gona dominate the field then there will be racers going out and spending more $$ just to be able to keep up. So change the rules now. its up to the track on what you can run but for the bigger events were inspection is done thats were it needs to be inforced. either way its done someone is not gonna be happy but the changes need to be made.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It's always going to be something. Do you think that if you mandate one motor, one ESC and one battery suddenly the racing would be equal?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If it works for their track, let them do it.

If it doesn't work for your track, don't do it.

Simple as that.

<Dons flame retardant suit before this topic gets out of hand. Again.>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.