Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The way I see it, people whine if the rules are strict, they whine if the rules are loose. There are already too many signs of people taking this class way too seriously, and I'm just getting plain ol' tired of all of the whining entirely.

No matter what I do, no matter which direction I take, there is criticism for everything. I have come to realize over the last 25 years that R/C racers just feel a need to complain and bitch and moan, no matter what the circumstances are. It's really too bad that no one in this hobby can be happy with anything and feels the need to just bitch about one thing or another, instead of enjoying their time racing and hanging out with friends at the track.

Again, the motors are spec, the tires and wheels are spec, the bodies are spec... the batteries are NOT. ROAR insurance has nothing to do with the rules, and nothing to do with the batteries allowed—it was merely an existing framework from which to build upon.

Guys, these are toy cars. You are CLUB racing toy cars. Lighten up, Francis.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Lighten up, Francis.
"Now if we were in Germany..."

LOVE that movie!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Maybe some of you guys should be racing in the TCRFBT cup at jtec racing. Http://www.jtecracing.com This would be the toy cars racing for bowling trophies cup, no kidding. Its all fun and good.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Wow, this is cool! The gallery arguing to Doug that he's getting too loose with the rules! The twist totally blindsided me. It's been like two pages since "other brand" 21.5s came up so I figured we were due for that one or maybe something about bodies (the Nova thing came close). But for Doug to slip from the "letter of the law" and then for we the disciples to push back is priceless.

All in good fun.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Maybe some of you guys should be racing in the TCRFBT cup at jtec racing. Http://www.jtecracing.com This would be the toy cars racing for bowling trophies cup, no kidding. Its all fun and good.
"At JTEC Racing & Fun everything is huge"

Now that's funny right there...
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pics of my TA body, '68 Camaro shell sitting on my old Xray T1.

I had to dust the car off, before getting into the TA class, this old model sat on the shelf for 2+ years. Now that is what TA is about, pull out the "antique" model & go trade paint !!
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-100_0520.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-100_0521.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-100_0522.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-100_0526.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-100_0527.jpg  

Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Wow, this is cool! The gallery arguing to Doug that he's getting too loose with the rules! The twist totally blindsided me. It's been like two pages since "other brand" 21.5s came up so I figured we were due for that one or maybe something about bodies (the Nova thing came close). But for Doug to slip from the "letter of the law" and then for we the disciples to push back is priceless.

That is pretty funny, now that you mention it.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Last round of on-road qualifying is going on right now at the Snowbirds. It is about 9:20 am EST on Saturday 1/31/2009 and the VTA class should be up shortly.

Check out the live webcam from the Snowbirds here - http://www.snowbirdnationals.com/live.htm

Top 3 after 3 rounds are
1. Mike Haynes
2. Rob King
3. Mike Kling

(Update)
9:55 am EST on Saturday 1/31/2009
Race #18 - 2nd heat 4th round of VTA will be on the track

Just heard that all 12 VTA cars will be running the A-main.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 01-31-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Club races are club races. Do what fills the most seats while maintaining order. Nobody can afford to turn racers away. When someone asks us about running this or that, we tell them it's OK, but specifically tell them that it is not legal at a sanctioned event and not to expect it to be allowed. Running a Tekin 21.5 motor club night isn't going to kill anyone. If its 2 laps faster, ask them to slow it down to stay inside the "spirit" of the class.

Sanctioned VTA races are Sanctioned VTA races. The people attending those are most likely aware of the rules. Rules are rules.

I like my single lipo 12th scale car. I run it club night. I am not trying to run it at Nationals or our Region 5 race next month because I understand the rules at such an event. There's plenty of bitching attached to that, but I'm on the wrong thread to discuss that.

We're bitching over apples and oranges.

Maybe I'm what's wrong with the hobby.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
If a 12-year old kid shows up at a club race with a 2400 Orion, are you going to tell him to go home?
No. at the club level it's up to the local race director. At a USVTA event it's buy the rules you developed. I did not mean to imply othwise.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Here is a couple questions.. What is the easiest way to "TECH" motors. Last weekend, another racer told me that only the Novak 21.5 SS motors have a hollow pinion shaft. Is this True?

And the timing ring is now green? My only motor i purchased was last spring with a black timing ring.

Is there any differance in the 2 motors , performance wise?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCFREAK
Here is a couple questions.. What is the easiest way to "TECH" motors. Last weekend, another racer told me that only the Novak 21.5 SS motors have a hollow pinion shaft. Is this True?

And the timing ring is now green? My only motor i purchased was last spring with a black timing ring.

Is there any differance in the 2 motors , performance wise?
My 21.5 has the black ring as well. I believe there is no functional difference whatsoever -- they just recently came up with the color-coding system to make tech easier.

I don't know about the hollow pinion shaft, and I don't feel like pulling my motor to look. I do have a brand new color-coded Novak 17.5 right here, and the shaft has a center machined on it that makes it look hollow at first glance, but it only goes in a little ways.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a black ring one and a green ring one (purchased as a backup) I spun up both motors on a checker, and they were 2kv apart....sounds very close (identical) to me.

Arvin the real best way to tech in with an inductance meter....but shy of that you can look at the factory marking under the purple ring, or serial numbers on the endbell of more recent ones.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I sat next to Steve Weiss all week at the Birds and he told me that the motors are identical.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I sat next to Steve Weiss all week at the Birds and he told me that the motors are identical.
Did you catch any "fast"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.