Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rchoudini
Scott I understand, and no further mention of it needed. Yes we have raced together.
I will be editing my prev post so if you would like edit yours and it will all disapear
oops I forgot that Doug was logged in, the previous post was from me
Old 01-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Here's the reality of the body thing, guys. Until HPI, Protoform or someone else jumps on board with this and sees a reason to produce an accurate Cougar, Javelin, Boss 302, Dart or some other REAL Trans Am ponycar body, what's on the list is what is allowed. We won't be looking for something different.

The object of this class is to keep things relatively simple. You don't need to go finding more muscle car bodies that might work, because there really aren't any other ones out there that we want to be legal.

If the horse weren't already out of the barn, I'd just as soon see it ONLY the 4 HPI bodies, and that's it.

Build a car, pick a body (Ford, Chevy or Mopar) and get out there and race. It's beyond worth it. You won't regret it at all.

doug
Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Here's the reality of the body thing, guys. Until HPI, Protoform or someone else jumps on board with this and sees a reason to produce an accurate Cougar, Javelin, Boss 302, Dart or some other REAL Trans Am ponycar body, what's on the list is what is allowed. We won't be looking for something different.

The object of this class is to keep things relatively simple. You don't need to go finding more muscle car bodies that might work, because there really aren't any other ones out there that we want to be legal.

If the horse weren't already out of the barn, I'd just as soon see it ONLY the 4 HPI bodies, and that's it.

Build a car, pick a body (Ford, Chevy or Mopar) and get out there and race. It's beyond worth it. You won't regret it at all.

doug
Since I grew up in Lebanon, NH during the Muscle car era ( 1967-1973 ) I always like the Dodge Daytonna 500/ Plymouth Superbird cars.. Right along with the Challenger, Chargers, GTO, Firebirds.. And the Judge..... I always wanted to run those...
Old 01-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC
If the class becomes a nationwide class, do you see HPI coming out with some sort of RTR trans am car based on the Cyclone S, E10, or Sprint 2 chassis? I think that would be pretty cool to see personally. I am really wanting to start this class at my local track. It looks like so much fun!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by andyh

Hehehe, THAT'S a good sign.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here is a body for a local racer at MRCR that I painted (it was one of the fastest bodies I ever painted).

Old 01-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Here's a new body I painted, tried to duplicate one of the real trans am cars, it turned out OK but the tape and paint didn't like going out in 5 degree weather to get painted....
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-p1010001.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-p1010002.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-p1010003.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wc031461.jpg  
Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
Here's a new body I painted, tried to duplicate one of the real trans am cars, it turned out OK but the tape and paint didn't like going out in 5 degree weather to get painted....
Paint or use a gold marker to color the spokes of the rims! Nice job!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
FANTASTIC paint jobs, guys. Those cars look awesome (even that odd-looking Parma thing. )! I'm so excited to see people painting up real cars and making real attempts at making the cars look like vintage race cars.

This is an absolutely great thing for this class and R/C racing!

doug
Old 01-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My Trans Am, that runs at The Track in Gaithersburg, Md.

http://

Last edited by litsluv; 01-25-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Doug when you get a chance add another track to the list. Seattle Indoor Raceway will be having our first Mains on Saturday 2 Feb. We have already had people step up for about 10 bodies and more are coming.

We followed the spirit of your rules base but we have a large class of upcoming Silvercan racers who have all started with LiPO. Due to this we are running 6cell/2S Silvercan with a strict gearing FDR limit.
We run a Silvercan Saturday already and are adding it to the program. All silvercan 2 Sedan classes, Mini, Micro and now Trans-Am.
Also one of our racers has a cutter and is making up Gumball packs with numbers whether already cut(for body color numbers) or ready to add the drivers number to them.

Marty was talking about how huge and popular it has become on raceday at Trackside and this talk helped seal the deal.

We'll try to get some pics to post up next week.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
Doug when you get a chance add another track to the list. Seattle Indoor Raceway will be having our first Mains on Saturday 2 Feb. We have already had people step up for about 10 bodies and more are coming.

We followed the spirit of your rules base but we have a large class of upcoming Silvercan racers who have all started with LiPO. Due to this we are running 6cell/2S Silvercan with a strict gearing FDR limit.
We run a Silvercan Saturday already and are adding it to the program. All silvercan 2 Sedan classes, Mini, Micro and now Trans-Am.
Also one of our racers has a cutter and is making up Gumball packs with numbers whether already cut(for body color numbers) or ready to add the drivers number to them.

Marty was talking about how huge and popular it has become on raceday at Trackside and this talk helped seal the deal.

We'll try to get some pics to post up next week.
Awesome. Trans Am is growing huge!

How are the speeds with a 6cell/silver can or 2s lipo. What 2s lipo are you using?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

In my personal stash I have the older Orion's the Core 5k and another soon to be released. Around the track guys have the new 3600's and 3200's. With a hard gearing limit we should beable to bring the speeds back down and the racing tighter. Speed and torque should be just about spot on silver Vs Stock 4cell.

With all the LiPO buyers we did not want to alienate those guys also and quite a few of them are so new that they have LiPO spec chargers so rather than buy more stuff we went the other way.

My body, wheels and tires should be here Tuesday so no testing until then.....
Old 01-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What are you guys doing to make the silvercans work in a touring car chassis? We were going to go that route but the larger bushing on the bottom of the cans wouldn't fit into the motor mounts of any of our cars without modification.

btw- Apex, I'll post our track info as soon as the lhs owner posts our rules on his website. Add another to the growing list of participating tracks!!

ps- Bolink bodies are 200mm. But the only that looks worthy would be the Charger.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Mike what chassis? I don't know of any special mods the guys are doing on their cars. I think it was tight on the FK05's maybe but I know they were still using them....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.