Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Some people have asked me about the legality of certain other bodies for this class. Honestly, it's up to each individual track as to what is legal or not, but for scale accuracy, only the bodies on our official Rules list are allowed at U.S Vintage Trans Am sanctioned races.

For those of you trying to find other bodies that would work in the class, here is a lits of the REAL cars that raced in the SCCA series from 1966 through 1972 (and Corvettes are not on the list ):

American Motors Javelin
Chevrolet Camaro
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Dart
Ford Falcon
Ford Mustang
Mercury Cougar
Plymouth Barracuda
Pontiac Firebird
Pontiac Tempest

Hopefully, HPI steps up soon and gives us a little more to choose from for this class.
I want a '66 Alfa GTA! Proof that there is a replacement for displacement, handling...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MrLesac
you need to send that to someone who can make a mold out of it.
Mold making isn't my problem it's finding a local who will pull a small amount of bodies for a reasonable price. I'm actually working on a 5th scale budy right now so I can possible race GT this year and I need to find someone to pull them for me.

Some people have asked me about the legality of certain other bodies for this class. Honestly, it's up to each individual track as to what is legal or not, but for scale accuracy, only the bodies on our official Rules list are allowed at U.S Vintage Trans Am sanctioned races.

For those of you trying to find other bodies that would work in the class, here is a lits of the REAL cars that raced in the SCCA series from 1966 through 1972 (and Corvettes are not on the list ):

American Motors Javelin
Chevrolet Camaro
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Dart
Ford Falcon
Ford Mustang
Mercury Cougar
Plymouth Barracuda
Pontiac Firebird
Pontiac Tempest

Hopefully, HPI steps up soon and gives us a little more to choose from for this class.
Wasn't the Chevelle used? It's an A body as is the Tempest... Bolink makes a 68 and I'm partial to the 68 (not just cause there's a real one in my garage )

I have a 67 Vette too, unpainted...

I'd love to see a Dodge Dart, I've always loved that car...

This class run locally would probably get me back into 10th scale TC...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Nope, not one Chevelle. They were all small pony-cars that were used, as the Tempest was originally a smaller bodied car. I think theh Tempest was only used in one race, though.

For now, our body list offers a good selection, and considering that a majority of early Trans Am racing was Mustangs and Camaros, I think we're covered!
Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Ok, so I've been sitting in the weeds on the TransAm class. There were many more cars that ran but not many races. Scottrick has seen the "Man Room" Library which does include ALL race results for the class and even a Video done in the early 90's. And to top it off I ran an under 2 liter Datsun!!

The bodies that would sell the most are the more normall American Iron. Yes I'd like a Cougar or Javelin. But I'd put a Dodge Dart done in Group 44 Colors as driven by Bob Tullius. (I also have a soft spot for GTP cars, Jaguars in particular, but that is another story) However, if the class does take off maybe we can get Europe involved if we did the Lotus Cortina, Alfa GTA, Datsun 510 ...... you get the picture.

Maybe the over 2 liter cars with 19turn and U2 class 27turn. Remember they all ran at the same time, but you had overall winner and class winners. And yes a few time the U2 cars did win overall.

So
Nope, not one Chevelle. They were all small pony-cars that were used, as the Tempest was originally a smaller bodied car. I think theh Tempest was only used in one race, though.
I'll be glad to make a "Complete list in a week or two" after our 2 day race.

Scotrick - Now I know why I got 0 available on the 10 SS!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

we have run our mini class with the trans am class (trans ams are a second a lap quicker). in the mini class around here we have many minis of course but also a couple of alfas and i run a fiat abarth. all running together it looked like we were in riverside 1966 for the 4 hour. mustangs and camaros running with minis, gta alfas and a fiat abarth......the only thing we need was an nsu..........looked really cool and drew alot of attention. we are thinking of having our spring enduro a mixed class race perhaps even the trans ams with the mini class again.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by frankrehnelt
we have run our mini class with the trans am class (trans ams are a second a lap quicker). in the mini class around here we have many minis of course but also a couple of alfas and i run a fiat abarth. all running together it looked like we were in riverside 1966 for the 4 hour. mustangs and camaros running with minis, gta alfas and a fiat abarth......the only thing we need was an nsu..........looked really cool and drew alot of attention. we are thinking of having our spring enduro a mixed class race perhaps even the trans ams with the mini class again.

Ok how about a Triumph Hearld!!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Tamiya M-chassis and silver can motors or some workable power combo would work VERY well for a U2 (nee 2.5 Challenge) class. They've already got the Alfa, Mini, and VW available as kits and they all ran. NSU, Abarth, and 510 bodies are all available. These last three are all rear-drive but all require a shorter chassis than any of the M04 variants. Good news is that it ain't all that tough to change the short front-drive M03 chassis into a rear driver. Witness my unpainted 510 and NSU...both on a readily available, easy to convert chassis.

I can see these being raced with the "big" cars for an endurance event. Yeah they'd be slower, but allow 3000mah packs in the "big" cars and 4200-4600mah packs in the U2s. Then require two tires be removed and replaced EVERY stop with the O2's and every other stop with the U2's. THEN...for that EXTRA dash of realism...at the half-way point short out the brake FET's on all the O2 cars

Ah...the little cars...be still my heart. Grenade knows I've got a soft spot in my head for these.

Last edited by Scottrik; 06-27-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Ok how about a Triumph Hearld!!
Forget the Herald...Vitesse was raced in the 2.5 Challenge. Kas Kastner, Mike Rocket, et al.

No Chevelles in TA...as much as anything because Chevrolet chose not to homologate it with the FIA. The Tempest, actually, raced most events in the 1971 season. It almost won its debut in a torrential downpour where Tulius' driving skills were allowed to shine. Other than that it had a lackluster season as one might expect from privateers racing what was (nominally) a seven year old car.

Last edited by Scottrik; 01-18-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scottrik
NSU, Abarth, and 510 bodies are all available...

Wow, I dig the NSU TT and the 510. Where'd you find them in Lexan?

Talk about thread drift...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Wow, I dig the NSU TT and the 510. Where'd you find them in Lexan?

Talk about thread drift...
The NSU is readily available from several sources in Asia. Was originally (I think) and Active body, now done (and less expensive via) Colt. They also do the Abarth.

The 510 is a little tougher or more expensive. There was a guy in the US who did up a buck for it and had a bunch done in lexan and a bunch done in styrene. According to him I got the last lexan one he was going to sell (he'd kept one for himself) but at that time (a fair while back) had a couple of the Styrene ones left.

ABC in Japan used to do a 510 body, flares and all, but if one looked closely it was a 4-door body. Yeesh. So I paid a LOT more for the other one. NOW ABC have discontinued the old 510 body and done a new one on a complete kit (with their own "Genetic" 4wd chassis no less) that is licensed by none other than Pete Brock himself. In fact it is being sold in the US on Pete Brock's website for $220/shipped. Cheap for what it is and for Datsun enthusiasts (they were a BIG part of my mis-spent youth) but kinda expensive to get a body for a M-chassis conversion project. Maybe I can find some more of the 510 like I got.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Scotrick - Way cool on the NSU and 510. But since I raced one of these all the factory rides were infact 4 doors with a slight change in skin so the rear window would fit. Chassis rigidity was 30% greater with the 4 door post!

It was fun getting 10" of rubber under the body with working rear doors, but with a little work on the a-arms it can be done. I still have a factory limited slip with less than an hour on it siting in a Datsun Race box.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

was the the GTO used in trans am? All of this was before my time, but my parents used to have the GTO so i guess it would cool to get a body and show them.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M3dreamin2008
was the the GTO used in trans am? All of this was before my time, but my parents used to have the GTO so i guess it would cool to get a body and show them.

No. Check the short list posted above for the cars that ever ran in the SCCA T/A series from 1966 through 1972. There weren't many different types of cars competing.

For our series rules, the only bodies allowed right now are the Mustang, Camaro and Baracuda.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Doug, you package went out today. I forgot the Barry memorabilia though, if you want me to mail that seperately, lmk.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

FSEARA first race of the year with our Nastalgia Class. Check out the video of the 2nd qualifer of heat #2.

We had 4wd touring cars with vintage bodies, hpi tires/rims with 5.0 FDR. Also raced along with pan cars with Vintage bodies and a wide pan car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.